Talk

Advanced search

Buying a house in Birmingham

(36 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Kate2020 Wed 27-Nov-19 18:46:33

Hey there
I'm new posting on this forum although have observed for a while
Partner and I are TTC and looking for houses to buy in Birmingham. Budget is 250,000 although could possibly push it up 20k or so if we love the house
Just wondered if any fellow net mums are able to offer any advice on locations. I've heard harborne is very nice and close to city centre (partner will be working there) but it is rather expensive! Does anyone know what Quinton is like?
We will be going to visit soon but it would be lovely to chat to people living there already to gain an 'insiders view'
Thanks

RedRum27 Sun 05-Jan-20 02:35:06

I’m from Warley (B68) right next to Warley Woods, lovely houses, quiet roads and would fit your 250k budget mostly. Good transport links to M5/M6, Hagley road and Wolverhampton Road and bus routes into other towns and Birmingham city itself. I would avoid West Bromwich to live in but the shopping area has been recently redeveloped so good to pop into with a big supermarket, Next etc. Quinton is lovely but take note of what a PP said about being under differing councils. Warley is under Sandwell and Quinton comes under Birmingham. Selly Oak, Bournville, Shirley, Hall Green, Kings Heath, Solihull all nice areas. Check out Longbridge...think they are developing the housing there and also good shopping etc and good links to city centre. Handsworth Wood is better than Handsworth but would avoid probably. Jewellery Quarter is up and coming these days as is Perry Barr due to the Commonwealth Games coming but wouldn’t live in Perry Barr personally. Avoid Aston, Nechells Lozells, Cape Hill, Hockley.

Citygirl2019 Sat 21-Dec-19 13:49:20

*roads

Citygirl2019 Sat 21-Dec-19 11:49:12

It really does depend what part of Erdington. B24 postcodes are generally better. Also, look at Todd that border Walmley and Wylde Green.

Citygirl2019 Sat 21-Dec-19 11:36:26

Have a look at Wylde Green, you might get something in your price range.

senua Sat 21-Dec-19 11:32:43

Coleshill is a weird place. It's really close to several main roads (A446, M42, M6) but nowhere near any junctions so you get all the negatives (noise, pollution) without any of the positives. Coleshill Parkway station is based up near the industrial end of town, nowhere near the residential bit.

Alicatz66 Sat 21-Dec-19 10:07:20

I'd second Coleshill .. I lived there for many years ... it has good schools and a nice community feel .. 15 minutes on train into Brum. It's a nice safe area and a great place to bring up kids

anxioussue Sat 21-Dec-19 01:04:04

Bromsgrove is awful, Kidderminster schools are terrible according to brother who lives in the area

CoffeeRunner Sat 21-Dec-19 01:00:21

You couldn’t pay me to live in Erdington! Probably the most depressing place in the area.

Bearwood, Quinton, Sutton Coldfield, Lichfield & Redditch are all much nicer. You have the cross city train line to get you into New Street Station from Sutton Coldfield, Lichfield or Redditch.

BackforGood Sat 21-Dec-19 00:59:16

If you are looking at new houses near Longbridge, then you are almost certainly looking at the new housing on what used to be the massive car plant that shut down about 15 years ago. It left a HUGE amount of unemployment in the area but there has since been a LOT of redevelopment - hence the ginormous MS ; Bournville College; the Giant Sainsbury and the retail park they are on. There's a great Youth Centre near there, and you are in a lovely part of the City with Cofton Park being a great outdoor space on your doorstep and then the Licky Hills (which are lovely) very close too.
Yet you still have Longbridge station, which is where the cross City Line (ie, very regular trains in to the City Centre) starts.
You are close to plenty of okay schools, and also amenities like the cinema, pubs (especially for food) gyms, Churches etc. Longbridge itself doesn't have aHigh Street in the traditional sense, but it is a hop step and a jump from there into Rubery for those amenities.
You are close to the M5 and the M42 if you need to travel.

What you find in Birmingham, is most parts have quite mixed areas - you can't say 'all' of one area is lovely or awful - it can vary within a couple of streets

StylishMummy Sat 21-Dec-19 00:54:07

Coleshill or Shirley are great and just outside Birmingham but within 1 train stop. Much nicer environment than city centre and better schools

GreenTulips Sat 21-Dec-19 00:36:15

Have a look at coleshill
Has a train station local high street decent schools

Doodlepip1 Sat 21-Dec-19 00:29:17

The poster says she has budget of up to 270 so no way will you get decent sized family home in the “naice” areas.

OP I can vouch for Erdington as I bought there and prices have significantly risen. There are nice coffee shops and eateries opening which is improving the vibe but the high street still has a long way to go!

Unfortunately I am ethnic but with a very respectable job so it’s not all rough around here! With your budget I would consider it as a potential mid-term house

Ariesscientist90 Fri 20-Dec-19 16:04:35

*your

Ariesscientist90 Fri 20-Dec-19 16:04:20

I used to live in Longbridge and have bought in Northfield this year, they have their good and bad parts tbh. Where we live is nice, no trouble at all and good for commuting, houses are very reasonable, our 3 bed 1930’s semi was £165k (needs completely renovating would be around £200k if done), but avoid Frankley like the plague.

For 250k you will struggle in Harborne, Kings Heath, Solihull, Sutton and Moseley (which are well known as the nicer parts of Bham) and will end up having to buy in the rougher parts or a very small flat or two bed if you’re lucky. Avoid Handsworth, Bearwood, Smethwick and Weoley Castle like the plague and anything around Aston. Erdington is an up and coming area next to Sutton with good transport links, but imo is still very rough overall and multicultural.

I would look at nicer parts of Quinton or Northfield (heading to Bournville or near Northfield train station) and maybe Cotteridge, Wythall and Hollywood if you’re budget will stretch that far.

ImNotShpanishImEgyptshun Fri 20-Dec-19 15:47:00

Have a look at Solihull. Try near the train stations for a quick commute into Birmingham; olton, Solihull, widney manor, Shirley, Whitlock's end. Hall Green is also a very nice area within Birmingham, lots of parks and big houses for your money.

Alicatz66 Fri 20-Dec-19 15:43:26

I would second a previous poster and say avoid Erdington and Handsworth .. I've just moved to Harborne and I love it ... I've got rid of my car as parking terrible !! I'm living the bus life ... we have grown up kids though so no idea about schools and it is expensive .... people I work with live in Cotteridge and Stirchley which are meant to be up and coming areas ... have you looked at Bearwood too ??

BanditoShipman Mon 16-Dec-19 17:50:35

Long ridge is quite run down, about 10 mins away is Bromsgrove, much better and in Worcestershire. Avoid Rubery, Frankley etc

senua Wed 11-Dec-19 09:16:22

Do a double-check where you are! Longbridge is right on the boundary between Birmingham and Worcestershire so you will get differences (rates, services, maternity care, schools, etc). If you are near to M&S then it sounds like you are in Brum.
It's a handy location: one way you have a mere 20 minute train ride to the city centre, the other way you have countryside practically on your doorstep.
There are plans to develop Longbridge but they have been a long time coming - it's been 15 years since Rover went!

Kate2020 Wed 11-Dec-19 08:52:35

Thanks for all your help and advice

If everyone has lived in or knows Longbridge well it would be nice to hear their views. The area seemed nice and reasonably priced but we are planning to go again and have another look around

Kate2020 Wed 11-Dec-19 08:49:37

Update
We had a look around various new build developments (as will be using help to buy)
Longbridge seemed lovely! There's a massive new M&S right near the development too

newmobile Mon 02-Dec-19 21:13:03

Halesowen gets my vote. Great schools and nice houses it's not too far from Quinton. Or two good primary schools in oldbury the part by Bearwood.

flirtygirl Mon 02-Dec-19 18:43:14

It also depends if you are after nice or naice. Some areas you pay a premium for naice but to be honest I think you are paying for white and middle class not actually anything nicer. Have a look around and walk around.

flirtygirl Mon 02-Dec-19 18:40:25

Great Barr is nice and near West Brom but nicer. Its also nicer than Quinton.

Willdoitlater Mon 02-Dec-19 10:06:31

Traditionally south west Brum was considered the nicer part. And is closest to city centre. Harborne and some parts of Edgbaston quite smart. Quinton mostly nice, ordinary 1930s semis (Nearby Woodgate Valley area is much less attractive). In the south east Yardley and Sheldon are not bad. 'Posh' people live in places outside Brum like Solihull or Hagley.

Lightsabre Mon 02-Dec-19 09:40:42

West Brom not great but does have a few High St shops. Some nice houses around Sandwell Valley.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »