Talk

Advanced search

Buying a house in Birmingham

(16 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Kate2020 Wed 27-Nov-19 18:46:33

Hey there
I'm new posting on this forum although have observed for a while
Partner and I are TTC and looking for houses to buy in Birmingham. Budget is 250,000 although could possibly push it up 20k or so if we love the house
Just wondered if any fellow net mums are able to offer any advice on locations. I've heard harborne is very nice and close to city centre (partner will be working there) but it is rather expensive! Does anyone know what Quinton is like?
We will be going to visit soon but it would be lovely to chat to people living there already to gain an 'insiders view'
Thanks

LouMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 27-Nov-19 22:38:52

Hi there, @Kate2020 - we're just popping on to let you know that we've moved your thread over to Property/DIY. Hopefully you'll get lots of useful advice here.

Best of luck with your move.

smile

yips Wed 27-Nov-19 23:27:00

Erdington is great value for money and excellent links to the city centre. Bit rough round the edges but good schools and straight down the Aston expressway into Birmingham, or quick trains from Gravelly Hill/Erdington station.

MsShopper Wed 27-Nov-19 23:46:59

Harborne is lovely, but definitely among the top end of house prices in Birmingham. You could get a 2-bed Victorian house c10-15 mins walk from the High St for £250-£270k. Or if you’re lucky a 3-bed that needs work or is a more modern build.

A lot of Harborne-ites have headed north to Bearwood - an abundance of Victorian houses, good primary schools, two lovely parks and a decent if a bit rundown high street (the Bearwood Road). It’s a bit closer to the centre of town than Harborne, though neither has a train station so you’re relying on bus/car. Bearwood falls under Sandwell Council rather than Birmingham, which is a good thing as their council is in better financial health, so the services tend to be better.

I’ve lived in both for several years. If we could have afforded to buy a period 3/4-bed in Harborne we’d probably have stayed there. But Bearwood is great - and there’s nothing in Harborne that matches living opposite Warley Woods. We feel very lucky.

BackforGood Thu 28-Nov-19 00:15:20

I wouldn't recommend Harborne in terms of commutes into the City Centre. It is a 'naice' place to live, but parking is very limited in many of the roads and whilst Primary schools are good, secondary are less so. You won't get anywhere really in Harborne for £250K

Anywhere on the North side (eg Erdington, above) means you probably have to cross the Aston Distressway (from Spaghetti Junction in to the City Centre) and that isn't a commute I'd fancy (I do it in the opposite direction and the queus can be horrendous).

We have a cross City Trainline, which would give your dh other options (including Erdington smile).
Birmingham is trying to drive through a 'Clean Air Zone' and also Parking charges on private company land so having an alternative to driving would be wise if you can settle anywhere.

If you are TTC, I presume you only need 2+ bedrooms ?
Might be worth you looking around Stirchley, which is by Bournville station, but also on the Rea Valley cycle route and also on bus routes.

One in Northfield
Some brand new ones in Cotteridge - by Kings Norton Station or buses into Town. Not sure if I like the houses, but Cotteridge is a very convenient place to live - for schools, a lovely park, shops, and things going on in the neighbourhood as well as transport
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-86621201.html This one is about a minute's walk from Bournville Station (and near Cadbury's Bournville Village). Is only on street parking but I think you can find spaces near your hose most of the time.
Much more space and can walk into Cotteridge / Kings Norton station from there
A new one near Selly Oak Station Nice development on the site of the old Selly Oak hospital. Borders on to Bournville as well, which is considered a desirable area.
Another newish one on same new estate
This looks to be a real bargain - right in Bournville What I can't see is where / how you'd park. Something to look in to ??
Cotteridge with much more space and potential to extend Really convenient location again]]

Kings Heath is another area a lot of young families like.
Not on the train line at the moment but they are promising to reopen and old line and rebuild a station there. Very busy, thriving area, and you get more space in your house and more garden than you do in Stirchley or in any of the new houses I've listed.

Lots of suburbs of Birmingham have quite mixed areas so don't write off / or set your heart on one area, but you have to narrow it down to a few roads.

BanditoShipman Thu 28-Nov-19 00:20:26

You could try a bit further out, Bromsgrove, Kidderminster, Stourbridge? Kidderminster is very reasonably priced and is on the train line to snow hill.

Kate2020 Thu 28-Nov-19 09:02:11

Thanks for all your help
It is much appreciated

What are Erdington and Handsworth like? And also handsworth woods? They seem to be the most reasonably priced areas

bananabunch119 Thu 28-Nov-19 19:03:14

I would avoid both Handsworth and Erdington.

BackforGood Thu 28-Nov-19 22:35:20

Handsworth Wood is pretty different from Handsworth.
Handsworth isn't usually an area people aspire to, shall we say.
I don't know much about Erdington, I'm afraid, wrong side of the City for me.

Lightsabre Sat 30-Nov-19 14:35:18

Handsworth Wood is a bit 'posher' than Handsworth but generally not very nice areas. Northfield isn't bad on a budget or look further out to Sutton, Lichfield etc. All decent train connections.

Kate2020 Sun 01-Dec-19 23:27:17

Thanks for all your help
Does anyone know what West Bromwich is like?

Lightsabre Mon 02-Dec-19 09:40:42

West Brom not great but does have a few High St shops. Some nice houses around Sandwell Valley.

Willdoitlater Mon 02-Dec-19 10:06:31

Traditionally south west Brum was considered the nicer part. And is closest to city centre. Harborne and some parts of Edgbaston quite smart. Quinton mostly nice, ordinary 1930s semis (Nearby Woodgate Valley area is much less attractive). In the south east Yardley and Sheldon are not bad. 'Posh' people live in places outside Brum like Solihull or Hagley.

flirtygirl Mon 02-Dec-19 18:40:25

Great Barr is nice and near West Brom but nicer. Its also nicer than Quinton.

flirtygirl Mon 02-Dec-19 18:43:14

It also depends if you are after nice or naice. Some areas you pay a premium for naice but to be honest I think you are paying for white and middle class not actually anything nicer. Have a look around and walk around.

newmobile Mon 02-Dec-19 21:13:03

Halesowen gets my vote. Great schools and nice houses it's not too far from Quinton. Or two good primary schools in oldbury the part by Bearwood.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »