Advanced search

Sellers/Buyers Roll Call 7

(302 Posts)
MrBobLobLaw Wed 06-Nov-19 16:32:49

Stressed vendors and buyers alike: assemble here to moan about bloody solicitors!

Feel free to join at any point smile

GorgeousLadyofWrestling Fri 24-Jan-20 19:17:14

I’m still waiting to exchange. It’s been almost six months on a purchase with NO CHAIN either side 😒😒😒

Both us and the vendor are waiting on the freehold management company to sign something. We’ve had to beg my landlord to let us stay another four weeks. Thanks to someone who was managing the rental of the property we’re buying, I got the name and number of the person we’re waiting on.

Called him and he said “oh I sent that to my director last week.” So I said “let me tell you the human factor in this situation,” and proceeded to explain calmly that we have three children and a landlord that wants us out and a property we want to buy but have no certainty about where we’re living because this document hasn’t been signed for a week.

He said he’ll chase his director today and scan it and email it to my solicitors. Whether he does or doesn’t - I now have his name and number and will pester like mad! I’m fucking furious we’re in this position and our lives on hold like this with so much uncertainty because some director hasn’t bothered to sign a document. But there’s no point shouting and yelling - it will get me nowhere. I just hope it gets done soon. So fed up of this whole process.

Booberella9 Thu 23-Jan-20 22:24:37

Well I may be the most paranoid on this thread but they have collected the boxes and I made them count them and write a receipt which I took a photo of...! Awaiting response re refund of the £150. Booked another firm for £400 less so maybe dodged a bullet?!

Anyway completion looks set to happen on 31st so have been writing lists of final tasks.. eek!

Booberella9 Tue 21-Jan-20 03:56:08

@Neron I have an email stating my booking is confirmed. This is where it gets dodgy. Attached to that email is a letter stating the booking will expire at a certain date and time. Also attached is a receipt for the £150 but the receipt just says the amount, doesn't say what the payment was for.

Of course I never opened the attachments, why would I when they confirmed verbally and in the body of the email?!

OH checked the trustpilot reviews last night and went through them in more detail than I did. A lot of the 5 stars look fake and the 1 stars are absolute corkers. Madness.

The main problem now is I can't bloody sleep. Already sleep deprived from baby!

MissLemon18 Mon 20-Jan-20 23:25:41

We've got an anxious wait for structural engineer to look at the house we're trying to buy. Full structural survey was done on it a fortnight ago but recommendations were given for an SE to look at some cracks. The house was originally 2 cottages converted into 1 in 1970s and had another phase of work done in 1990s. Concerns have been raised about fine hairline cracks close to bearing beam on rear gable end wall where opening was made for extension into kitchen. Directly above the kitchen is the bathroom and there's a slope in this room from landing towards window.

There's also a crack in middle of chimney breast in front room but surveyor says there's no obvious reason for this.

Overall, survey was very detailed and can't fault how extensive and thorough it was, but I had hoped the areas I had specifically asked for answers on (slope and crack in chimney breast) would have had more definitive answers.

Neron Mon 20-Jan-20 21:00:38

Oh that's so frustrating @Booberella9 if it were me I'd be insisting they find space or refund me otherwise I would be reporting them. Shaming them on social media can really do damage sometimes too. I reckon you could be right. Do you have anything in writing to back you up?

Booberella9 Mon 20-Jan-20 17:25:53

@Neron thank you it has been an effort to get this far as no doubt you also have put in!!

Well I rang them back and got a different person who stated they had sent a letter to us saying the booking was only valid for 14 days and therefore it had expired last week.. this in contrast to the branch manager who initially visited and said we were booked in!! I think their office processes need some serious work as clearly none of the staff talk to eachother.. it turns out according to their system I only booked today.. and the £150 I paid is non refundable as it covers the cost of the boxes they dropped off!! I said that's some bloody expensive boxes!! No way would I have paid that if I knew it was just buying boxes and not a deposit on the booking! Cheeky cow was cool as ice throughout, I reckon they regularly do this, overbook themselves and make money off the stupid boxes. Either a scam or total incompotence. Either way I'm out £150 which is disgusting and I have had a cry.

Good shout @Neron I will ask for recommendations. Do not want to get screwed over again.

I'm tempted to take them to court but I know it would be more hassle than it's worth. Maybe trading standards or something. I'm gutted and not thinking straight sad

Neron Mon 20-Jan-20 16:47:36

Yay @Booberella9 congratulations!
Sorry to hear about the removal company, I would hope you'd get the deposit back. I wouldn't do as they suggested and it's just DH and I. Are you on Facebook? If so, could you ask for recommendations and see what comes up so it's not just the video quote people

Booberella9 Mon 20-Jan-20 14:50:16

Hello all, not been on for a while as things seemed to be going smoothly.. finally we have exchanged with completion due for 31st. Completion date buddies @Neron grin

But the bloody removals firm have just told me they are "struggling" for availability, this after paying £150 deposit and booking it at the start of the month!

They are saying they will remove everything earlier in the week and deliver it the week after... they can't do this can they? I can get my deposit back surely?

Just us might have been feasible but with a toddler and a baby, fuck right off mate!

Have just rang another firm who want to do a video quote tomorrow.. as if I've nothing better to do than download a bloody app and walk round my house pointing out my bloody furniture..

So stressed right now I am kinda having an out of body experience!

Ciunasbotharcailinbainne Mon 20-Jan-20 14:00:16

@BluebellsAndBees I agree, the system needs a radical overhaul. I feel like I do most of the work for solicitors as they can’t seem to do simple things like read an email attachment. We have family that live in the US and the whole process can take as little as a week!

Haven’t heard anything yet about our buyers finding new solicitors. No news is good news I guess...

BluebellsAndBees Fri 17-Jan-20 23:52:45

Well, after a glimmer of hope yesterday, reality came rearing its ugly head. The useless seller's solicitors did not reply yesterday as promised nor did they do it today. Nor sure why I actually believed them...

Now we're stuck until Monday when I can start again my rounds of chasing EA and sales progressor and have them chase the sellers solicitors. I've half a mind to try and chase them directly myself!

I simply cannot understand what do they gain by delaying this so much. Are they being paid by the hour?! I really don't know what could possibly be taking them so long to reply to something that is truly not that complicated (and to be honest the seller should be able to easily provide the answers, as they would be familiar with them).

How in the name of all that's good and right in this world can these people believe that these are adequate levels of service?! It's like a whole different set of rules applies to solicitors.

CuteOrangeElephant Fri 17-Jan-20 23:04:28

Can I join this topic yet?

We are looking to put our house on the market in two weeks time and I am already feeling stressed with all the sorting, tidying and cleaning!

We own a quirky Victorian flat and I am so scared what a survey would bring up!!

The only good thing is that we can offer our property chain free as we are moving abroad.

OrangeUmbrella Fri 17-Jan-20 22:13:06

Can I join please?! Offer accepted on 8th Mortgage pending. LOTS of issues in survey so will need vendor to negotiate on price. Desperate to move now!

zelbazinnamon Fri 17-Jan-20 22:03:29

Hi, can I join?! We are buying in a small chain, just two houses in the chain. We are in rented and so keen to get into the new house! Had our searches back with nothing of much note, survey okay, mortgage all in place. Not sure what else has to happen now (have bought a house about 8 years ago but can’t remember any of that process!) so hoping we can be done by mid to late Feb...

Neron Fri 17-Jan-20 21:49:37

Thank you @catndogslife
My broker chased the bank and we managed to exchange today, with completion set for 31st Jan.
I cried out of fear at the news and now I don't want to move. It's been so long coming I didn't think it would happen. All will be fine in the morning I'm sure haha

LittleMissA Fri 17-Jan-20 16:34:01

I've been lurking but we exchanged on Tues and completed today! House went on the market in July just before the summer holidays and found a buyer early Oct.

I thought it would all collapse all the way through!

Something we didn't realise until last week when it was too late to do anything about it, when a buyer has one of the family mortgages where the parents pay the deposit and get their money back in a few year, there is no physical deposit passed over so we had to exchange without a deposit or exchange and complete on the same day which was very stressful!! I'm glad we were buying from family so could move in last weekend and rent from them if anything had gone wrong at the last minute!

I hope things go smoothly for everyone else. Home buying is such a stressful process!

catndogslife Fri 17-Jan-20 15:46:19

Hi @BeauticianNotMagician81 I have been around since the summer, but should be moving soon (hopefully).
Looks as if our buyers buyer has now had searches back so the chain should be ready soon. The EAs are chasing (we think they would like to be paid this month - they are paid on completion and we think they want this to happen asap.
@Neron hope exchange happens soon for you. The scenario you have described has happened to us on a previous purchase and agree it does increase nerves.

Neron Fri 17-Jan-20 11:57:39

We signed the contracts and transferred the deposit on Wednesday and were hoping to exchange this week. Instead my stupid solicitor decided the address on the mortgage pack wasn't quite right and the bank needed to change it. So no exchange and I am stressed with the wait. Our last purchase fell through day before exchange and I'm on edge...

fligglepige Fri 17-Jan-20 10:38:04

Sorry to hear you're all having problems. We accepted an offer on Tuesday and I asked the solicitor yesterday to move it along as fast as possible because our buyer is completing on 31st Jan and will be effectively homeless until our completion date. It really shouldn't take as long as it does!

BluebellsAndBees Fri 17-Jan-20 00:07:13

@GorgeousLadyofWrestling I am so sorry you are still waiting! I honestly don't know if they don't realise the impact this has on our lives or if they simply don't care. It may be just a signature on a piece of paper to them, but its so much more than that to the buyers.

Would your own landlord not consider extending your tenancy as well or have they found a new tenant? I was convinced mine wouldn't as they are a company and had been adamant in the past that they only worked with fixed 12 months contracts without exceptions. Turns out that being 2 weeks away from the end of our tenancy without a prospective new tenant was the only incentive they needed to open exceptions...

@Ciunasbotharcailinbainne that is unbelievable. Shouldn't someone have checked it earlier in the process? If not themselves or their solicitors, at least their bank/lender? It was one of the main questions we asked when getting quotes from solicitors and we then called our bank to confirm if they were on their panel before we instructed them.

Ciunasbotharcailinbainne Thu 16-Jan-20 22:09:58

I feel everyone’s pain right now. Honestly, how are solicitors and conveyancers allowed to get away with SO MUCH CRAP. Tearing my hair out right now.

We got told today that our buyers had been using the WRONG SOLICITORS this whole time and how their lender wouldn’t accept them. Our buyers are already a bit skittish with lots of questions that we have to repeat the answers to constantly and I feel like this is going to push them over the edge. Obviously not impressed with the solicitors who aren’t claiming any responsibility for this mess whatsoever.

GorgeousLadyofWrestling Thu 16-Jan-20 21:46:37

@bluebellsandbees - honestly I am so stressed! I feel your pain also. I cannot believe this situation.

We are waiting on one last signature from the managing agent of the property. He probably has no idea that I am sat here anxious and worrying, packing and arranging movers and wondering if we’ve got anywhere to move to. We have three young children and currently also googling air Bnbs in our area 😭

Solicitor has assured me we’re on the cusp of exchanging and completing. We have to move out by Jan 29th. I am so stressed 😩

BluebellsAndBees Thu 16-Jan-20 21:37:26

@alwayscrashinginthesamecar1 that sounds like the best of both worlds * sigh *

We finally learned why the radio silence from the seller's solicitors. The person in charge of our case left the company and a new solicitor had to take over. It seems they spent the last 2 weeks familiarising with everything. It took a call to the Director of the EA (after chasing everyone else the past week to no avail) to get, less than 30 minutes later, a message from the sale progressor saying my solicitor would receive everything before EOB today and the clarification on all these delays.

Still not sure I believe we will exchange and complete in less than 2 weeks, regardless of what the EA says, but the good news is that our landlord agreed to extend our current tenancy, as they did not yet find a new tenant. Breathing a bit easier. We just bought ourselves 4 extra weeks and at a fraction of the cost a short let would be for half that time. Was panicking slightly about (of all things) where to redirect our post.

I hope everyone is having a better week as well. This business is not for the faint hearted...

TulipsfromAmsterdam Thu 16-Jan-20 20:14:54

@BeauticianNotMagician81 hello again. I remember your story and have been here a long time too. Our original buyer passed away last April and we waited for partner to sort out insurance then probate and eventually they came back with a much reduced offer which we couldn't accept. Next buyers pulled out of one house for ours then pulled out of ours for another.
We have accepted further offer but this one is taking time to provide documents. I often think about giving up and doing work here but think my need/desire for a garden won't disappear and we could lose more money.
Good luck on selling this time around.

fligglepige Wed 15-Jan-20 12:56:50

Hello, can I join! We are selling and right this moment I am waiting for EA to ring me back to see if our first bidder wants to increase their offer to outbid second bidder. It's a v tense nervous time!

TossACoinToYourWitcher Wed 15-Jan-20 11:24:10

Thankfully our buyers have said they are willing to wait for the chain. However they have asked how long the chain is so we have tried to find out by contacting the estate agent who is acting for our sellers.

The estate agent has said that the sellers are buying a house with "vacant possession" but this just seems to be a term used to describe that a house is empty on completion, and doesn't give any information about any chain? Or have misunderstood the term?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »