Southfields or Raynes Park

(9 Posts)
Mhp88 Mon 07-Oct-19 12:06:54

Hi,

My husband and myself are currently renting in Wimbledon and looking to buy a 2 bed flat, we love Wimbledon but it's over our budget. We have checked Southfields and Raynes Park, as we still want to be close to Wimbledon and we might become members of Roehampton Club (my husband doesn't like Putney to raise a kid). We don't have kids at the moment, but will have in the near future. Any recommendations between those 2 areas? Our max budget is £450K. Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
JoJoSM2 Mon 07-Oct-19 16:45:22

If choosing between those two, I'd probably pick Raynes Park as there's a better sense of space. Southfields benefit tube but there's also a lot of social housing which isn't everyone's cup of tea.

However, if I was a married couple thinking of having children soon, I'd be buying a house near fab schools. There will be plenty of clubs you can join without silly waiting times/joining procedures (but obvs won't be the same if you're doing it as a status symbol rather than for sports).

BruceAndNosh Mon 07-Oct-19 17:44:40

Depends on what transport you need. Raynes Park is on the Overground, Southfields on the Underground

Rollercoaster1920 Mon 07-Oct-19 18:22:40

I hope you are already on the waiting list for Roehampton club! Although why pay for that and compromise on the house you can afford?

Of your options I'd choose Southfields, near Wimbledon park and Wimbledon common, Wimbledon and Wandsworth centres to choose from. On the night bus and tube. If go for raynes park if you could afford a house there compared to a flat in Southfields.

itsasausage Tue 08-Oct-19 19:16:46

Raynes Park, you'll get more for your money , you're only 1 stop from wimbledon and on the line to get Into central via vauxhall and Waterloo really quickly as it is.
Theres plenty of nice little restaurants nd cafes there now and the main pub is decent.

Laladot Wed 06-Jan-21 22:36:44

Hi, I wondered if you could tell me more about the where the social housing areas are in Southfields? Hadn’t noticed this and unsure how to find more info. I am also trying to choose somewhere in SW London to start a family. The tube in Southfields appeals to me much more than rail alone and the area seems more attractive to me than Rayners Park but not that familiar with either.

Rollercoaster1920 Wed 06-Jan-21 22:58:53

The blocks of flats are council owned. Look between Southfields tube and Wimbledon common.

Advertisement

sunshinesupermum Thu 07-Jan-21 18:54:05

we might become members of Roehampton Club (my husband doesn't like Putney to raise a kid).

Serious question - What does he dislike about Putney to raise children in? How is Southfields or Raynes Park better?

Laladot Fri 08-Jan-21 20:52:26

Rollercoaster1920

The blocks of flats are council owned. Look between Southfields tube and Wimbledon common.

Thanks. Is there more here than in other areas?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in