Talk

Advanced search

Garage conversion - help!!

(7 Posts)
SophieSy Thu 12-Sep-19 05:31:14

Hi everyone. I was hoping to get some opinions on our integral garage conversion. Our house is fairly small and at the moment our garage is just collecting junk and seems like a waste of space so we are planning on having it converted and knocked through to give us a larger kitchen/diner. I have attached the floor plan so you can see the new plan! The red line shows how big the kitchen/diner could be. A few questions - the green section - do you think we'd be better off having it as a snug/playroom (we have a toddler and one on the way so it would be perfect to keep toys our of eight and would mean our lounge would be free from plastic tat!) or as a utility? At the moment our chest freezer and tumble dryer are in the garage so I am struggling to see where these would go if we went with the first option. Any ideas would be gratefully received. Thank you in advance x

jackstini Thu 12-Sep-19 06:17:12

Could you have the freezer, washing machine and dryer at the back of where the green bit is but integrated?
Would take up less space than a full utility.
Then I would have some toy cupboards & sofa against the side wall
What are the measurements?

SophieSy Thu 12-Sep-19 06:35:07

Thanks so much for your reply! The garage spec is approx 15ft x 7ft. So it would add lots of space to the overall new space, but struggling to see how I could lay it out. What do you mean by the back of the green bit? The bit at the 'bottom' of the floor plan?

flumpybear Thu 12-Sep-19 06:44:58

Can you have the garage and kitchen as an open plan area then the lounge area at the front turn the back bit closest to the stairs into a small utility space and have the front end of the room by the window as a snug?

Tardigrade001 Thu 12-Sep-19 06:51:36

I'm not sure the green area is big enough to be a playroom on its own. Provably best as an integrated utility/toy storage as the above poster suggests.
Are you planning to have a window where the garage door is now?

SophieSy Thu 12-Sep-19 07:32:27

That's also a great idea @flumpybear. Thank you. You're right @Tardigrade001 - a play room is probably the wrong word! I was thinking more of a toy storage area with a sofa! Basically somewhere the little ones can be while we're cooking. And it would also provide another area for as they grow up.

SophieSy Thu 12-Sep-19 07:32:59

And yes @Tardigrade001 I think a window where the garage door currently is would work nicely

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »