Talk

Advanced search

How would you set up my house (snug/study) for the teenage years?

(12 Posts)
MrsFogi Wed 11-Sep-19 16:58:30

I am finally clearing out the play room (that has not been used for years). Once that is done I need to work out how to use the space (yes, I know it is a nice "problem" to have) so should be grateful for any guidance for those who have already gone through the teenage years with the dcs. I have the following possibilities:

- play room becomes a room for the dcs to use to study and have as a snug (i.e. space for desks and sofa and the room would just be used by them); or
- play room becomes a study for me and the dcs (I work from home a few days a week) and my study becomes a snug for the dcs (and I suspect me and dh would use it sometimes).

So would you have one room for the dcs that doubles up as a snug/place to work (just for the dcs) or would you separate things out and have one room for work (for all of us) and a different room to relax in (mainly for the dcs but I suspect we'd all use it)? I suspect we'll end up with a tv in the room that has the sofa.

sleepismysuperpower1 Wed 11-Sep-19 17:02:49

i would have the room used by everyone, and then your study as the snug x

Hopesorfears Wed 11-Sep-19 17:10:22

Separate rooms, and then it will annoy you less when it is messy

Sgtmajormummy Wed 11-Sep-19 17:38:29

I’m preparing for a house move and lucky DD is getting a bedroom approximately 3x the size (not a boast, she currently has about 3 sq m of floor space).
We’re talking about dividing it into 3 areas. Sleeping/dressing, homework and chilling. The homework area is going to be office-like with a sleek desk, office chair and bookcase. All inherited from her brother but a neutral colour.
The single bed she has now with a rollaway underneath for friends. She’s already got burgundy and white “toile” bedding and curtains which aren’t childish. Matching night table.

Now comes the exciting bit...
We’ve bought a second hand pine bureau with drawers for a dressing table, some farmhouse chairs and we will be getting a single wardrobe, hopefully armoire style. Sanded, primed and painted a satin dove grey, they look really smart! We’ve spent about €100 so far and the pieces are really sturdy. They were cheap because nobody wants yellow pine furniture nowadays!
A long-haired grey rug and a couple of IKEA fake Poang (forgotten the name) chairs we already have will make a great “snug” for her to read, relax after school and invite friends over. Maybe watch a film or listen to music on Chromecast (not bothered about an aerial).
With the room divided into three she can switch between activities and finally spread out.
And that’s what I’d advise: clearly separated areas, if they share a bedroom, put a bookcase or desk area between them for privacy. I presume they’re same sex as boy/girl would need separate bedrooms at some point.
A teenagers’ snug is a great idea but family spaces, even if you’re all doing different things, are a must to keep the communication open. It’s too easy to slope off and close the door! Luckily DD’s bedroom will be next to the kitchen so I’ll be looking in occasionally...

Sgtmajormummy Wed 11-Sep-19 17:44:01

Very pleased with our work! grin

CoolShoeshine Wed 11-Sep-19 18:31:00

I’d keep your study separate as you work from home and have the playroom as a family room where dc’s can do homework after school but you also have small sofa for watching tv later in the evening. It can be less tidy or formal than a main living room but not exclusively the kids’ place.

Shouldibeworriedaboutthis Wed 11-Sep-19 18:33:43

I’d have separate work and play areas as a PP mentioned you don’t need to worry about the snug being messy and can work in the office smile

mumdone Wed 11-Sep-19 19:46:36

I couldn’t work in mess. Keep the areas separate. Have it for a room for the kids to study and chill.

BlueLadybird Wed 11-Sep-19 19:57:38

What would your kids prefer?

AmIAWeed Wed 11-Sep-19 20:01:52

I'd have an office space large enough for them and you then a separate snug, that way they can switch off and leave the 'work' space in the same way you would an office. My son has flashcards pinned up and notes for revision so I'm clearing space in my office so he can separate his room and relaxation with revision.

Hopesorfears Wed 11-Sep-19 20:19:45

I think most teenagers would rather study in a space that had their own stuff in it rather than one shared with their mum.
Sgtmajormummy that bureau looks lovely now it's painted, well done!

MrsFogi Thu 12-Sep-19 14:53:53

Thanks for all the responses so far! The dcs would prefer to have a family study and then a separate "snug" however they seem to imagine there is a limitless pot of cash and that the snug would be a magical wonderland of beanbags etc so I suspect they may not be so impressed by the reality of an old sofa or two!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »