Advanced search

water damaged skirting board in bathroom

(13 Posts)
Kashishr Wed 11-Sep-19 13:16:12

Hi there, hope someone can help me!
We are renting a property and in our bathroom , the skirting board has gone soft and rotten. Now we are planning to leave the house but need to fix/replace the board.
Do i need to call a carpenter or plumber to fix the same ? Is it easy to DIY ?

OP’s posts: |
dementedpixie Wed 11-Sep-19 16:24:14

Is there a leak? That would need fixing first before replacement

PigletJohn Wed 11-Sep-19 16:33:39

how old is the house?

A picture of the skirting, and its dimensions, would help a lot.

if it has gone soft it is probably modern mdf.

CointreauVersial Wed 11-Sep-19 16:41:04

If it has gone soft due to a leak, presumably that's the landlord's responsibility to put right, not yours.

Fatshedra Thu 12-Sep-19 07:22:32

I guess you would need to cut the damaged piece out and slot a new piece in. Have a look at Homebase or similar to see if they sell that size and shape of skiring board. If so you need someone to cut out the offending piece with a saw, an odd job man or joiner.

Kashishr Thu 12-Sep-19 09:28:16

Its a flat more than 10 yrs old and we have been renting from last 3 years.
We have to fix it as the landlord says its the responsibility of the tenants and skirting board needs to be wiped up after every use of the bathroom to avoid moisture. We don't know yet if it's because of leakage or moisture in the bathroom as there is no ventilation as such and this problem is with other flats also in that same building.

OP’s posts: |
diydaddy50 Thu 12-Sep-19 10:52:26

You can fix it yourself. Though, I doubt it will cost the earth to get a carpenter in for that damage. Get some quotes, try 3 or 4 tradespeople.
If you plan to do it, the tools:
Sharp pencil
Chop saw - to shave off small amounts or hand powered saw
Tape Measure
Compass - to scribe internal corners
Coping Saw
Wood Glue - Gripfill is good. Rather than nails to stick skirting boards to walls.
Nails, punches, screws and a battery drill.

Do locate pipes and cables first and do not start cutting unless you know how to do it properly.
But before all that, you mentioned a leak and anyway, this is really the landlord's responsibility. Have you got a contract with the owner? This is the owner's responsibility but not yours.

dementedpixie Thu 12-Sep-19 10:53:01

Is there an extractor or window in the bathroom?

PigletJohn Thu 12-Sep-19 11:25:23

I can't interpret the picture. Possibly water has been running down the wall. Stand back and take a wider view, then kneel down and photograph it side on.

DoctorAllcome Thu 12-Sep-19 11:37:07

I agree with diydaddy that this should not be your responsibility if the bathroom has no ventilation. If it does have a window, and you haven’t been opening it when showering & after until moisture is dry, then it would be your responsibility.

Just want to add to tool list that you will need a small crow bar or claw hammer to pop the old skirting board off the wall. It is very easy to replace as you can get pre-finished lengths (so no need to prime and paint after). Because it is a small job, you could get away with a hand saw. OR..if you know exact lengths you need some DIY shops like Homebase will cut them for you in house either for free or small pocket change charge when you buy it.

I would worry the dry wall behind might also be soft...hopefully it’s not Chinese drywall! So do check it before sticking new skirting board on.

Kashishr Thu 12-Sep-19 13:11:10

Thank you all for your help. you guys are awesome. I will try to replace it myself and if can't, then take help from a handyman.
There is an extractor fan inside the bathroom which starts as soon as the bathroom light is on. Also, water has not been running down the wall as the sink is not close to the wall. Yes, we have got a contract with the owner.
Owner says the management of the permanent fixtures (skirting boards, painted walls, furniture) in the property is the tenant's responsibility.
I have asked quotes from a few handymen and they are quoting £60 to £90 pounds for 1.5 hours excluding the material cost.

OP’s posts: |
Herocomplex Thu 12-Sep-19 13:15:24

If you’re running a shower or steamy baths it creates moisture/condensation that runs down the walls, that’s what pp means by water.

Kashishr Thu 12-Sep-19 13:40:01

ohh i see .. Thanks for clarifying.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in