Talk

Advanced search

Wood floor in a kitchen/diner? Pic attached

(9 Posts)
Rumours0fAHurricane Wed 14-Aug-19 22:27:53

We are moving into our new home in a few weeks and although lovely, the kitchen/ dining area has a cream tiled floor which will show every mark

The kitchen flows into an area that we will be using as another living room, so we will have a sofa, tv, rug etc in there and it'd look loads nicer with an oak floor - however can this work in a kitchen?

I've attached a bad photo but you'll see how the kitchen diner works

Csleeptime Wed 14-Aug-19 22:36:06

We had engineered oak in our last house. Loved it. So long as you get a waterproof underlay and make sure the floor is sealed properly you're all good. Have fun!

Pipandmum Wed 14-Aug-19 22:37:46

Wood looks great and works in kitchen.

Rumours0fAHurricane Wed 14-Aug-19 22:39:05

Ooh so it could be a goer then and look ok? It'd be so much nicer for the living area bit. I can live with the floor tiling they have at the moment but would like to change it

cinnabunbun Thu 15-Aug-19 11:37:25

Wood works fine in a kitchen but make sure it is sealed and maintained. We have solid oak flooring in our kitchen which was matt lacquered planks when it went in 8 years ago and looked great until recently when it has started to get the odd greyish watermark in high traffic spots like near sink and dishwasher. I think this could have been prevented by revarnishing at some point. It feels so much more homely than tiles to me

Beebumble2 Thu 15-Aug-19 15:16:56

Sealed engineered wood throughout our second home. It’s been down 10 years and is fine. I mop up any spills immediately and clean with a barely damp cloth, or floor wipes.

Rumours0fAHurricane Thu 15-Aug-19 16:27:31

Can you steam clean it?

Good point about a spot of maintenance a few years in. I'll beat that in mind

Csleeptime Thu 15-Aug-19 21:09:18

We are about to put it diwn again and have been told we can steam clean it. So ling as it's sealed no reason why not

JoJoSM2 Thu 15-Aug-19 21:38:24

Tbh, I think I'd leave the kitchen tiled. Possibly change the flooring in the living area or just have a big rug.

We had floorboards in the last kitchen and it was a bad idea. Wood and steam don't agree either. I'm not sure if any wood will be sealed to such perfection to withstand steaming for a few years.

A practical option would Karndean or some other vinyl. I can immediately tell it isn't wood but a lot of people seem to find it quite convincing.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »