Talk

Advanced search

Help! Parking company being introduced to leaseholder

(6 Posts)
Kimetsuparking Wed 14-Aug-19 21:03:30

Hi I wonder if anyone can help.

I am a leaseholder in a block of 8 flats, most flats are privately owned/rented.

We have a shared gated/locked car park.

The landlord (I think that’s the right term in this instance, it’s a housing association) has decided to appoint a private company firm to the carpark with 3 weeks notice and no consultation.

Is there anything I can do to stop this? In addition to my MP I have sent a letter to the CEO and estate manager but the response has basically been that they are doing it to reduce crime (news to me!).

I am concerned that this will devalue my property; we’ve never had parking issues the allocated space was included on my deeds.

Can anyone help?

LBOCS2 Wed 14-Aug-19 23:52:42

They don't have to consult. It's their land, it's up to them what they do with it and to enforce the covenants on it.

As a leaseholder you have the right to occupy the property for Xno of years (X being the length of your lease), and possibly the right to use a demised parking space. The land, the structure, etc don't belong to you, they belong to the freeholder to dispose of as they will provided it doesn't contravene anything in their contract with you.

Incidentally, I've never heard of a parking enforcement contract devaluing someone's property. Parking problems do though, so do dumped cars.

Kimetsuparking Thu 15-Aug-19 07:20:46

Thank you for your response

We do not have dumped cars or anything, nor has the car park ever been at full capacity, it is a gated enclosure. From my reading online it can devalue a property as it is undesirable to have 24hr parking restrictions monitored by a predatory parking company, we now have a parking problem that we did not previously have.

That makes sense re rights to the land but I’m also wondering is section 37 of the 1987 Landlords and Tenants act applies here - it basically states that any major amendment to the lease should have a 75% leaseholder support?

BlueSkiesLies Thu 15-Aug-19 08:20:05

It isn’t an amendment of your lease though. The freeholder is just changing the way it manages part of the property.

I can’t see it devaluing your home. You have an allocated space. This helps protect that.

Malvinaa81 Thu 15-Aug-19 10:34:03

If you use your own parking space in accordance with the rules, I can't see that a parking company will have any effect.

What it could affect is visitor parking with some kind of permit needed, maybe that you give to visitors who need to park.

Not sure that a parking company will reduce the property value, it could be a good thing.

Though it may not be the case right now, many "free for all" parking arrangements at blocks of flats do get abused and attract parking from nearby properties not in the block, and in the end some restrictive action or a parking company is introduced.

ChicCroissant Thu 15-Aug-19 10:36:33

I wouldn't see it as devaluing at all, quite the opposite - have you not seen the parking threads on here OP?! What is is about this change that bothers you because it doesn't seem to be anything to do with the actual parking - it's not going to change anything for you on a day to day basis?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »