Talk

Advanced search

How much glass in a south west facing extension?

(7 Posts)
TrumpInflatableChased Wed 14-Aug-19 07:56:44

Back of house is south west facing. Looking at extending single storey to make space for kitchen diner.

I’m thinking of putting the kitchen in the darker bed of the room with a roof lantern and the french windows as worried about too much glass making it hot. Any 3xperiences.?

Wildwood6 Wed 14-Aug-19 13:50:28

Yes, I did something very similar in previous house. It wasn't hot, I think builders have to put so much insulation in these days and the glass is so insulated; but it was bright. I had big sliding doors rather than french doors and I ended up putting expensive electronic blinds in as there was a tv at the garden end and it was impossible to see anything! I'd also steer away from fancy copper splash backs and the like which are likely to literally blind you when the sun hits it!

justasking111 Wed 14-Aug-19 13:54:51

Ours is off the sitting room used for dining. Bricked to windowsill height. Proper roof, insulated glass, many blinds, under floor heating so that it is used all the year round. Even so in the summer the blinds are down, windows and doors open. It will get hot.

Oly4 Wed 14-Aug-19 13:57:29

We have the kitchen in the darkest by fo the room with a glazed panel nearby. Then bifolds all across the back. Haven’t found it hot

Oly4 Wed 14-Aug-19 13:57:59

By that I mean the glazed panel is in the roof near the kitchen

LesLavandes Wed 14-Aug-19 14:03:26

Use solar glass

stucknoue Wed 14-Aug-19 14:14:56

We have glass right across, no issues with heat or cold - glass is very thermo efficient these days

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »