Talk

Advanced search

Best and final offer?

(5 Posts)
Treacle23 Tue 13-Aug-19 22:34:48

So we've made a reasonable offer on a house we love, and it's the only offer they've had at the moment. The estate agent has emailed me to ask if this is our best and final offer and I don't know what to reply.

It's an 'offers over' listing and we have offered just beyond their minimum price, the house needs some work, we are willing to stretch a few thousand more but don't see the need if ours is the only offer on the table right now. They have more viewings scheduled for this week.
Estate agent being cheeky and fishing for more money I know but what is the correct response?

FeeFee832 Tue 13-Aug-19 23:02:35

Usually it only goes to last and finals when there are multiple offers on the table. Why don't you ring the EA and chat to them? Find out what they are looking for?

Is this Scotland or England? England, ring and have an honest chat.

Scotland they obviously can't tell you anything.

JoJoSM2 Wed 14-Aug-19 16:43:58

Maybe the vendors don't want to be going back and forth with numbers? They might be after 'best and final' to decide if they want to take it or leave it. I'd expect that if you've already gone above 'offers over' than no higher offer is required if there's no competition (speaking of England).

Treacle23 Thu 15-Aug-19 03:09:16

Thanks guys, I didn't answer him in the end, I was going to reply with something vague about being a bit cheeky, or no comment. It's a catch 22 as either they will reject without compromise or know you will go higher.
A few hours later they made a counter offer and after some more negotiation we have the house!

Blobby10 Thu 15-Aug-19 08:54:15

@Treacle23 that was excellent reading of the situation!! How wonderful for you. Many congratulations!!!!!!

I always make the mistake of being too eager with my offers and sounding too enthusiastic - I have to learn to stick to my guns and walk away if the sellers won't budge! Also have to remember that however nice they are, the EA are working to get the best price for their seller NOT ME grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »