Advanced search

Soffits, fascias etc - v.confused

(19 Posts)
MuffinMclay Mon 30-Jul-07 15:12:52

Is the wooden board that goes round the top of older houses (just below the roof, underneath the drain pipe) called a soffit, a fascia, or something else altogether?

Ours needs replacing, and I don't know what to say needs doing when I phone someone. I don't want to sound too much like a useless woman when I call.

PinkChick Mon 30-Jul-07 15:14:52

fascia board is the flat bit that comes down from roof down a bit of the wall..the sofft is the bit which go's from roof..straight out to the peak of underside of roof(makes a kind of 90degree angle shape if you look from side

PinkChick Mon 30-Jul-07 15:15:46

yours is a fascia, if you house is like mine(1940's big bay windowed semi) you wont fit soffits on as roofs are designed differently.

MuffinMclay Mon 30-Jul-07 15:17:18

My goodness that was quick! So it is the fascia board that I need replacing (I think).

Better dig out the yellow pages...

PinkChick Mon 30-Jul-07 15:18:25

think so, is it the bit coming down top of wall from roof and is your guttering attatched to it?

MuffinMclay Mon 30-Jul-07 15:20:04

It is a Victorian semi, with big bay windows.

PinkChick Mon 30-Jul-07 15:20:06 ttp:// ev=/images%3Fq%3Dfascia%2Bboard%26gbv%3D2%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG her you go chick, a detailed explanation

PinkChick Mon 30-Jul-07 15:20:35

front facing is fasia, underside is soffit

PinkChick Mon 30-Jul-07 15:21:27

ooh it similar to mine then you prob wont need soffit, recently had mine done and it wouldnt go on..where are you, i have one or two good roofers

MuffinMclay Mon 30-Jul-07 15:21:46

Now I'm even more confused. Could be a barge board. We don't have the sort of box structure that you see in that pictures, just drain pipe with a wooden boad behind.

MuffinMclay Mon 30-Jul-07 15:22:15

I'm in Nort Herts.

Gizmo Mon 30-Jul-07 15:23:31

Fascia lies flat to the wall, soffit forms the underside of the eaves as you look up...
obvious, huh?

PinkChick Mon 30-Jul-07 15:24:06

so this wood go's across the top of wall of your house just below roof and your drain pipe and guttering are attatched /go across it?

Gizmo Mon 30-Jul-07 15:24:34

Oh God It seems thread has moved on a bit since I typed that...

PinkChick Mon 30-Jul-07 15:27:36

thin of it like fascia=face..the part thats is out turned toward the outside of house, fronting out.

MuffinMclay Mon 30-Jul-07 15:31:31

pinkchick - that is exactly it.

PinkChick Mon 30-Jul-07 15:32:32

ta go talk turkey with some rough bloky types about what width and trim youre after
BTW im in teesside so im no good to you for recomendations..sorry

MuffinMclay Mon 30-Jul-07 15:33:20

bit too far, but thank you.

PinkChick Mon 30-Jul-07 15:35:10

LOL, just get 2 or three round for quote tell them you need your fascia boards can get wooden or upvc, depending on your windows wood is more expensive i think?, but my cousin(roofer) did mine so cant really guess, i got mates rate as he did all guttering and pipework too

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: