Talk

Advanced search

Anyone from Beeston Nottingham?

(17 Posts)
SleeplessInTheStaceym11House Tue 24-Jul-07 22:14:15

Right, my partner has been offered a job in Beeston, Nottingham and we are seriously considering it. I was wondering what schools/activities/local shops/etc etc etc are around.

at the moment we're living in Surrey so we're probably going to have a complete culture shock, but i'd really like to know whats around.

I have a dd age 2.8yo and ds 8mo, so i'm hoping theres a few nice schools/nurseries/pre-schools!

oh and i don't drive yet although i am driving so i'd need to know if it's going to be worthwhile waiting (if possible) until i can drive before we move.

Any information will be gratefully recieved!

SueW Tue 24-Jul-07 22:21:44

Beeston's quite good for families.

It has a high student population - it's very close to the university - and of course also university staff. Our teaching hospital is also within spitting distance so you also get the odd member of medical staff.

I don't know about schools, sorry.

I used to be the NCT newsletter editor and I would say the postcodes that cover Beeston and West Bridgford were our biggest areas. Music groups, babygym type things - there are lots of those in Beeston and a smattering of restaurant, and a handful of coffee shops.

Beeston has a good bus service to the city centre but it depends where you live how far you'd have to walk.

I've put some things on the Nottingham Mumnset Local a while ago that are in Beeston and we use regularly (I'm a few miles down the road).

Frizbe Tue 24-Jul-07 22:26:24

Beeston has a good shopping centre and as Sue W says is well connected to the City Centre I think the schools are pretty good, upmystreet.com should help out there? its one of Nottinghams more affuluent city areas. Is the job at Boots? just being nosey cause they're based there! The best thing you could do, is come up and check it out for a weekend, see if you like the place.

Frizbe Tue 24-Jul-07 22:29:36

this might help with schools http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/home/learningandwork/schools/findingaschool/schoolssearch-form.htm ?SearchArea=3

SueW Wed 25-Jul-07 18:51:14

I think we've put her off..... What did we say wrong?

Frizbe Wed 25-Jul-07 20:28:53

?

SleeplessInTheStaceym11House Thu 26-Jul-07 11:11:45

hiya, sorry have been looking after my SIL and not had a chance to get on the comp!

thanks for all the info, we're just waiting to hear back from the manager about the job offer and we'll decide wether its viable, the village sounds lovely! schools look good too!

oh and btw it's not acctually boots, its a division of Barratt homes, inter-company move!

peachygirl Thu 26-Jul-07 11:18:04

I'm originally from Bramcote which is very near to Beeston. I would move back to that area if the opportunity came like a shot. The schools are good and it does have great links to Nottingham.
It has a big sainsburys and a comprehensive shopping area. There are some lovely parks including the university grounds and Attenborough nature reserve which is full of ducks. Bramcote swimming baths is very close too with two big slides
You are also close to the M1.
It wouldn't be a culture shock it's not that northern.. no men in pit helmets etc. You would get good value for your money with housing.

strangely stacey I think I live quite near you now

SleeplessInTheStaceym11House Thu 26-Jul-07 11:30:05

sounds lovely peachy girl....oh i do hope this all works out, id love a garden, my poor kids would love their own rooms and a garden!

im living in redhill atm peachygirl, is that near you?

kate7 Thu 26-Jul-07 12:10:55

I have lived in Beeston for many years (until very recently), both as a student and then a home owner, and can thoroughly recommend it as a great place for families! Beeston is a town really, not a village, with a pedestrianised shopping centre with loads of shops ranging from a large Sainsburys to little boutiques, gastro pubs, bars and restaurants as well as more traditional pubs. There are a lot of pubs etc due to Beeston being near the main Nottingham University campus; the only downside to living there can be the numbers of students, but they tend to live in the cheaper parts of the surrounding areas rather than in Beeston itself, usually. Schools are excellent, especially in the Bramcote area, perhaps the nicest and most sought after part of Beeston. Cheaper areas include Toton, Chilwell and Beeston Rylands but these are pretty nice places too. There are lots of places locally to take kids, from an indoor play area on Queens Road, to Wollaton Park, an Elizabethan House in its own grounds with a lake, deer park and gardens and a museum, free to get in, and a fab place for picnics and walks. There is also Attenborough Nature reserve and Highfields Park, a public park with a boating lake and play area next to the university. Hope some of this is of help, and good luck with your move, I think you will find it a great place to live!

SleeplessInTheStaceym11House Thu 26-Jul-07 12:33:52

oh it sounds so lovely! thanks for all the info people!

SueW Thu 26-Jul-07 13:31:51

Schoolwise, if using state, you are probably better off in Toton because the primary schools feed into George Spencer which, even though the head and deputy head have left in the past 3-4 years, maintains its reputation.

Bramcote Hills, Bramcote Park and Alderman White schools are due to merge. I have heard some awful things about the two Bramcote schools and not just because large number of pupils are being bussed in from the inner city areas. For years buses would not stop at the stops outside school and either side when school is turning out because of incidents on the buses. I haven't heard anything to say this situation has changed.

Beeston has some very nice houses within walking distance of the town centre and, if you don't drive, is a much better place to live than Bramcote, Wollaton or Toton because of access to facilities and public transport.

SleeplessInTheStaceym11House Thu 26-Jul-07 15:10:19

thanks sue, good info about the schools, will look deeper into that.

peachygirl Sun 29-Jul-07 21:08:20

Hi stacey I'm in Purley at the moment.
at the merge of those schools and thier current reputation I went to The Park!! It was good then

mama1bea Thu 09-Jul-09 15:54:08

HI i am new mumsnet member and live in beeston nottingham with my 3month old and husband. Wandered if anyone knew any fun classes i could take my little one to ie yoga, babygym, music,anything creative or interesting.Going to go swimming soon with her.Please let me know. be great to meet other local parents too.

PuppyMonkey Thu 09-Jul-09 16:09:10

Ooh, ooh. Beeston... yay yay!!!! Big up to all the Nottingham folk. Luckily your local newspaper the Nottingham Evening Post is a fabulous publication and has some wonderful people writing for it, really, really, really talented. wink Plus you can find a house... www.thisisnottingham.co.uk

pmsl at Beeston being a village... grin

ps. Check out Denz play area...

jeanjeannie Thu 09-Jul-09 20:48:08

ME, ME , ME - I'm from Beeston!! YAY for Beeston. Gosh, I'm missing it and I've not lived there for 25 yrs but my folks are still there. Everytime I go back I think, wow, I can see why people return as lots of my school mates have.

hahaha puppymonkey good ad for the Post - it's a Notts Icon - that and Brian Clough (way!)

Am also pmsl@at Beeston being a village.

I heard Denz was worth a look - will go when up to see parents.

Ahhhhh, Beeston.....Is Chilwell Comp still a dump??? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now