Talk

Advanced search

DOUBLE GLAZING INFO

(6 Posts)
noddyholder Sun 08-Jul-07 14:44:26

I have never had double glazing and want to ask someone who knows about how much noise it cuts out?I am thinking of buying a little house at auction on a busy road and it would need new windows but how effective are they?And do some give more sound insulation than others?Thanks

LIZS Sun 08-Jul-07 15:03:35

We have wooden framed ones and they aren't that effective noisewise tbh althgouh outside can be pretty busy at peak and I suppose you can hear clearly indoors even then. Our last house had secondary glazing which cut noise down better. If I had ours redone I'd go for triple glazing !

noddyholder Sun 08-Jul-07 15:09:16

thanks I have been thinking seondary glazing is better too.

Nemo2007 Sun 08-Jul-07 15:09:27

We have UPVC windows and they do cut out a lot of noise. If our elderly neighbours alarm is going off[which happens a lot] then if we close the windows I would say it cuts the noise by around 70%

noddyholder Sun 08-Jul-07 15:43:27

It is a period house so would need either replacement wooden d/g sashes or leave the original windows and put in secondary glazing which looks hideous imo although have been told it has improved a lot since the 70's

NannyL Sun 08-Jul-07 16:30:49

the double glazing is my house cuts out loads of noise

i live on a busy main raod and hardly hear the traffic at all at night.

If however i just put them on the latch (to let in a tiny bit of air) i acnt even sleep cause the noise is SOOOOO loud!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now