Advanced search

Can I move a grid cover?

(9 Posts)
hex Sat 07-Jul-07 21:16:36

We're thining of extending our kitchen and there's a grid cover (is this what they're called??) in the exact spot we'd open our French doors onto.

Can we move it - do we have to apply for permission, and if so from whom? Council? Water Board?

lilymolly Sat 07-Jul-07 21:32:14

Do you mean a manhole?
What exactly is it, then maybe we can help

hex Sat 07-Jul-07 22:05:18

yes. it's probably a manhole...guess you get access to...oh now I realise I don't know whether it's waste water pipes or water supply pipes ...well all this isn't really area of expertise. We've never lifted it but it does have two handles, one at either side...does this make it any clearer?

lilymolly Sat 07-Jul-07 23:02:50

dp say just need an airtight manhole cover, and the builder should do this for you, may require and extra manhole installed so you can get access to it in the future. Its not an expensive job. hth

hex Sun 08-Jul-07 15:09:26

okay but won't it mean extra pipes to wherever we move it to? Will the builder do this then?

DominiConnor Sun 08-Jul-07 15:17:12

We did this, and were counselled that the water people have the right to come and dig it up later.

hex Sun 08-Jul-07 19:28:24

so did you have to lay extra pipes to the new position of the manhole? did you do this yourself. I don't really know what's down there tbh

DominiConnor Sun 08-Jul-07 22:36:45

In our case it was bricked over, but in such a way that in the unlikely event that they exercised their right, the mess would not be too bad.

lionheart Wed 11-Jul-07 12:56:21

We did the same so they built the patio with a special cover that can be unscrewed for access (actually on the step so even trickier).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: