Talk

Advanced search

would you as prospective buyers to take their shoes off?

(43 Posts)
Tortington Sat 30-Jun-07 20:55:51

on a laminate floor.

brandy7 Sat 30-Jun-07 20:57:08

i dont let anyone wear shoes in my house fullstop, laminate or carpet flooring. laminate even worse especially in this weather, nice footprints everywhere. so my answer is

YES

wordgirl Sat 30-Jun-07 20:58:03

No, I wouldn't dream of it

Hathor Sat 30-Jun-07 20:58:11

Yes, and if they have holes in their socks don't enter into negotiations with them

onlyWotzadodar Sat 30-Jun-07 20:59:03

Can't you buy a nice mat one for doorstep and one for inside and keep them chatting while they wipe their feet?

I would ask a friend, but not a viewer.

policywonk Sat 30-Jun-07 20:59:18

No. Some of them might get irritated and it would affect their attitude to the house. Not everyone likes taking their shoes off - might have holey socks on, big old bunion in full view, etc. Just put a fluffy mat down inside the front door and encourage people to use it.

LIZS Sat 30-Jun-07 21:00:05

no , but would offer to remove for cream carpet and to go upstairs especially if wet outside. It was less owners who asked than agents showing us properties particularly if there was more than one viewing lined up.

ginkel Sat 30-Jun-07 21:01:13

No way!

hatrick Sat 30-Jun-07 21:02:10

Message withdrawn

pirategirl Sat 30-Jun-07 21:02:19

not for a laminate floor no. is it not wipeable?? if i had a cream carpet, and it was foul outside i would provide a large rug/mat to wipe on.

PrettyCandles Sat 30-Jun-07 21:03:27

No, I wouldn't. Get a good, absorbent doormant, as onlyWotz suggested.

We had agents often ask us to remove shoes - probably partly because of having potentially rampaging children with us - but were never asked to by owners.

RedLorryYellowLorry Sat 30-Jun-07 21:04:38

No I wouldn't.

meandmyflyingmachine Sat 30-Jun-07 21:04:56

I was asked to do this in a house I viewed. Fair enough I suppose as there were cream carpets, but it made me feel uncomfortable and made me question whether I wanted to buy a house with cream carpets. If it was just laminate I would think it was a bit off TBH.

Wolfgirl Sat 30-Jun-07 21:05:48

yes

Tortington Sat 30-Jun-07 21:08:49

i wentto view one today the made me take my shoes off - i was wearing slip on pumps with no socks. i felt uncomfortable and i wouldn't have dreamt of asking someone to do this is i am trying to offer my house for sale.

cream carpets - i understand - but fucking laminate is tacky anyway very 5 years ago so they can stick their house up their snotty arses.

pucca Sat 30-Jun-07 21:08:52

No,

We actually viewed a house, and we were told to take our shoes off, it was laminate floor and tbh it totally put me off, we recently accepted an offer on our house, we have laminate flooring and i wouldn't dream to asking viewers to take their shoes off!!!

How hard is it to mop a floor afterwards?

UCM Sat 30-Jun-07 21:08:59

Nope, don't be daft. You can wipe it when they have gone, even if they have dog shit on their shoes.

However, if I had light coloured carpets and we didn't wear shoes in the house, yes I would. At least your prospective buyers would know that your carpet is shit free.

Millarkie Sat 30-Jun-07 21:09:23

Our agent asked our viewers to remove their shoes at the door - I certainly wouldn;t have asked but I thought it was his way of being able to point out that the stair and bedroom carpets were brand new. They bought the house so they weren't too put off by it.

pucca Sat 30-Jun-07 21:09:47

Plus i would feel totally uncomfortable asking people to remove their shoes.

UCM Sat 30-Jun-07 21:09:50

x posted. She is a lazy farker who can't be bothered to mop then....

HonoriaGlossop Sat 30-Jun-07 21:36:18

I would not dream of being so rude. I think it's the height of bad manners to make people take their shoes off.

it would also put me right off buying a house which I know is an over-reaction, but there you go. I wouldn't want to do business with someone like that I guess!

LoveAngel Sun 01-Jul-07 09:35:55

We were asked to take off our shoes by roughly half the owners of houses we viewed. I say fair enough. Don't see how it's rude? We ask people to take their shoes off if they are going upstairs, and in many cultures / countries its the norm to remove your shoes when you enter the house (your own or someone else's).

LoveAngel Sun 01-Jul-07 09:37:29

Just re-read and agree, slightly excessive if you've got laminate flooring. But carpets = shoes off imo.

HonoriaGlossop Sun 01-Jul-07 20:04:15

I find that so weird! I've moved house four times in my adult life, been on countless house viewings and never been asked to remove shoes!

It is rude!

nomdeplume Sun 01-Jul-07 20:09:23

No shoes on laminate seems odd, but I did ask viewers to remove their shoes in the houses I've sold in the past as we had pale carpets. I'm not remotely embarrassed about that. Reasoning behind it being

a) it is still my house and I would be the one who had to clean up any mank that came off shoes.

b) I'm assuming whoever bought the house would also not want endless skanky shoe prints in the carpets of their new house.

I always offered to take my shoes off at viewings, it never bothered me in the slightest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now