Talk

Advanced search

where are some nice but not too expensive places to live in the uk

(59 Posts)
jobhunter7 Thu 06-Dec-18 11:15:09

thank you.

jobhunter7 Thu 06-Dec-18 11:40:56

i think i'd quite to live somewhere pretty and fairly safe, but i'm open minded. sometimes you get quality of life indexes... i wondered where people may recommend.

HouseOfGoldandBones Thu 06-Dec-18 11:46:34

Can you narrow it down a little bit OP?

I live in Angus in Scotland, and it is fabulous.

Housing is cheap (I live in an old Manor House, with 5 bedrooms & a HUGE garden, which is just a road away from the town centre, which cost £300k)

People are lovely, "good mornings" all round when doing the school run.

Loads for the DC's to do. Safe, so they can play out, and go a bit further afield.

Good transport links to Aberdeen & Dundee.

Cold in the winter, but lovely in Summer.

UnderMajorDomoMinor Thu 06-Dec-18 11:49:24

Any other requirements? That’s pretty broad! How expensive is expensive to you?

I think the nice parts of the Yorkshire cities are v nice and v reasonable compared to the south/south east and still give easy access to good jobs.

jobhunter7 Thu 06-Dec-18 11:55:38

Sorry yes. It just it probably doesn't matter too much where I live in the British Isles. I am in the south-east now, but I imagine I could buy somewhere nicer if I was elsewhere. Scotland I have been a couple of times and thought was beautiful. Occasionally quality of life indexes get published so I thought I may be to try and figure out where I would be best to go. I love the westcountry too but I've not been everywhere.

jobhunter7 Thu 06-Dec-18 12:01:14

Looking to spend maybe up to 100k on a one bed place.

jobhunter7 Thu 06-Dec-18 12:06:59

www.countryliving.com/uk/wildlife/countryside/news/g402/best-places-to-live-uk/?slide=1

www.mirror.co.uk/money/best-place-live-britain-revealed-12291570

loveka Thu 06-Dec-18 12:12:19

Cornwall! That's where I'm off to in the new year.

The sea makes me happy.

If not Cornwall I would have chosen Stratford upon Avon (well, a village in that vicinity) or Wensleydale.

Skipton area is nice, as are the rural villages around Wilmslow.

Money no object I would keep a place in the south east as well. I love Surrey villages like Ripley, Send, Headley or Betchworth.

loveka Thu 06-Dec-18 12:14:58

You would get a 1 bed in some parts of Cornwall for 100k.

Not in any if the other places I listed though I wouldn't imagine!

jobhunter7 Thu 06-Dec-18 12:21:42

Just thought it may be good to look out of the south-east. I could probably not afford a dog kennel in London, but I could (just about) afford somewhere in Edinburgh. And I really like Edinburgh.

Ariela Thu 06-Dec-18 12:33:29

If I could up sticks to a cheaper area I'd pick the rural Staffordshire/Herefordshire borders, such pretty countryside. Probably no work available there though !

jobhunter7 Thu 06-Dec-18 12:37:29

If I could up sticks to a cheaper area I'd pick the rural Staffordshire/Herefordshire borders, such pretty countryside. Probably no work available there though !

> which places there? thanks

babysharkah Thu 06-Dec-18 12:43:18

Edinburgh is as almost as expensive as London.

mytieisascarf Thu 06-Dec-18 12:45:02

Sorry to burst your bubble but you will NOT get a flat in a decent part of Edinburgh for £100k. A quick look at Rightmove shows that you would be waaayyy outside Edinburgh proper before you'd get anything.

If you're still after a city then Dundee might be more affordable - still East coast, burgeoning arts scene, nice restaurants etc.

Whyislarryhappy Thu 06-Dec-18 12:47:17

Anywhere along the kent coast. Minster, deal, ect. Nice houses, streets, villages, by the sea... Bliss

jobhunter7 Thu 06-Dec-18 12:48:10

Sorry to burst your bubble but you will NOT get a flat in a decent part of Edinburgh for £100k. A quick look at Rightmove shows that you would be waaayyy outside Edinburgh proper before you'd get anything.

If you're still after a city then Dundee might be more affordable - still East coast, burgeoning arts scene, nice restaurants etc.

---

Feel free to burst any bubbles. Thanks will investigate Dundee. Doesn't have to be a city though.

jobhunter7 Thu 06-Dec-18 12:51:37

The Happiest Places to Live in Scotland 2017
Dumfries. This market town on the south-west coast of Scotland is officially the happiest place in Scotland and comes in at number 15 on the national ranking.
Edinburgh. The Scottish capital also sits high on the list at number two. ...
Inverness.
Dundee. ...
Kilmarnock.
Glasgow. ...
Aberdeen. ...
Kirkcaldy.

Petalflowers Thu 06-Dec-18 12:54:00

Depends on your budget.

Give us some idea what you can afford and am looking for (3 bed house for example) and we can go house hunting for you.

jobhunter7 Thu 06-Dec-18 12:58:15

Up to 100k. One bed. Just the problem with the British Isles is it s slightly bigger than Lichtenstein so there are quite a few options..

FrogsSpawnofSanta Thu 06-Dec-18 12:58:39

What about Inverness? It is a lovely area. There are a number of properties around the £100,000 mark.

https://www.hspc.co.uk/Flat-For-Sale-28-Larchwood-Drive-Inverness-IV2-6DG

jobhunter7 Thu 06-Dec-18 13:00:54

I have thought of Inverness. I did like it there.

Frenchfancy Thu 06-Dec-18 13:05:08

If I were to move back to the UK I would go to Norfolk.

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-74345642.html
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-68069428.html

veggiepigsinpastryblankets Thu 06-Dec-18 13:15:01

Shrewsbury's lovely, also smaller places in Shropshire like Oswestry, Ludlow etc. The closer you get to Wales the lovelier.

Also loads of places in Scotland - probably anywhere except Edinburgh.

LittleLlamaontheduskyroad Thu 06-Dec-18 13:24:06

We're in North Leicestershire & I really like it. Plenty of pretty villages, countryside, but also close to Leicester & Nottingham (and Loughborough if you're desperate, haha.)

But very good community spirit, people are very friendly, helpful and neighbourly. Good transport links & plenty of work to be had.

IwantedtobeEmmaPeel Thu 06-Dec-18 13:38:45

Shrewsbury's lovely, also smaller places in Shropshire like Oswestry, Ludlow etc. The closer you get to Wales the lovelier.

I second the above statement, love that part of the world.

Really though I think you need to decide what it is you are looking for/what is important to you, i.e. do you want countryside or coastal; do you like rural/village life or prefer being in or near a city. How vibrant a city do you want - do you want a city which has live theatre/opera, plenty of cinemas and galleries and shops or maybe a smaller town with just the essentials.

Do you need to be near good transport links for work or visiting family?

When you can live anywhere and are not restricted by work/children etc then it often makes it harder to choose, so if I were you I would sit down and list the things that you can't live without and what sort of environment really makes you happy. It would also be a good idea to try the visit places on your list.

jobhunter7 Thu 06-Dec-18 13:50:49

>Really though I think you need to decide what it is you are looking for/what is important to you, i.e. do you want countryside or coastal; do you like rural/village life or prefer being in or near a city. How vibrant a city do you want -

>do you want a city which has live theatre/opera, plenty of cinemas and galleries and shops or maybe a smaller town with just the essentials.

I could probably live with just the essentials.

>Do you need to be near good transport links for work or visiting family?

I probably don't.

>When you can live anywhere and are not restricted by work/children etc then it often makes it harder to choose,

True... I've been trying to get a slightly better idea of what options there are.

>so if I were you I would sit down and list the things that you can't live without and what sort of environment really makes you happy. It would also be a good idea to try the visit places on your list.

Yes. I've been googling various suggestions.

I quite liked the idea of Inverness which seems a really nice place and also pretty countryside and beautiful river running through it. Or living on the Cornish coast.

myotherbagisgucci Thu 06-Dec-18 13:53:11

I live in a lovely little village in the Lancashire hills, and you can easily get a 3 bed semi for £125k.

Skyejuly Thu 06-Dec-18 14:04:03

Suffolk!

Woodbridge
Southwold
Snape
Tunstall

SunnyUpNorth Fri 07-Dec-18 21:26:33

We live in South Warrington, we think it’s brilliant. It’s nice, safe, close to Liverpool and Manchester but also loads of gorgeous countryside, an hour to Wales/the lakes/the Peak District etc. Warrington itself isn’t a pretty town but it is very handy as has loads of retail parks, Ikea etc.

The villages south of Warrington (Lymm, Stockton Heath, Grappenhall, Appleton) are all great. Prices have gone up ok recent years but still good value to be had I think.

There is an area called Latchford which is between Stockton Heath and Warrington town centre. Parts are a bit ropey, but the parts around the village centre are nice and nice cafes have recently moved in, there are two great hairdressers etc.

This house is facing the main road but I don’t think it would be an issue and is a good example of something you could get. It’s less than a mile to Stockton Heath centre and Warrington town centre, on a good bus route. The train to London is 1 hour 45.

Road, Warrington, WA4ink{http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-56338950.htmlwww.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-56338950.html latchford}

Feel free to ask me about specific roads or areas if you’re searching on Rightmove.

SunnyUpNorth Fri 07-Dec-18 21:28:36

Hmm try again
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-56338950.html

jobhunter7 Sun 09-Dec-18 14:33:18

Thanks. Lots of nice suggestions.

another20 Sun 09-Dec-18 15:25:38

Would you consider Northern Ireland ? Stunning coastline - great community and Belfast and Derry have great art scenes

Shootingstar20 Sun 09-Dec-18 15:36:34

The outskirts of Plymouth, towns like Totnes have low house prices at the moment and everyone in Totnes is the same, a happy hippie!

jobhunter7 Sun 09-Dec-18 18:46:59

I'd consider moving anywhere. Quite drawn to arty places.

jobhunter7 Sun 09-Dec-18 18:47:48

I like the idea of Inverness and also the IOW (the latter I need to research more I think).

randomsabreuse Sun 09-Dec-18 18:53:03

Shropshire, along the A49 corridor so Leominster up to church Stretton including Ludlow. Craven Arms itself not amazing but villages surrounding nice. West towards church stoke, presteigne and knighton probably better for budget than eastern part of the county. I think Cleobury Mortimer, Clee Hill is cheaper than Bridgnorth and Highley (wrong side of Severn for easy communications) is pretty cheap too.

SwedishEdith Sun 09-Dec-18 18:55:03

Southport - loads of choice for £100k - near the coast and direct trains to Liverpool and Manchester.

jobhunter7 Sun 09-Dec-18 19:45:46

>Totnes is the same, a happy hippie!

I've read that Hebden Bridge is supposed to be a bit like that.

Blibbyblobby Sun 09-Dec-18 20:01:09

Do you need to earn a living? If you do, does your wage need to cover the mortgage or will the place be bought outright?

Beebumble2 Mon 10-Dec-18 17:12:29

Have a look ( on Internet at ) at Kirkcudbright SW Scotland, The Artists town.
You will probably struggle to find something in your price bracket, flats do come up from time to time.

pinkdelight Tue 11-Dec-18 10:39:20

Todmorden is just up the road from Hebden Bridge, also arty and friendly and your £100k will get you a nice 2 or 3 bed terrace.

minniemoll Tue 11-Dec-18 11:19:53

I live in the Rossendale Valley in Lancashire, house prices are very reasonable, there are great transport links via the M66 and we're on the edge of beautiful countryside, I love it here.

myotherbagisgucci Tue 11-Dec-18 12:01:30

@minniemoll that's where I am!

Such a beautiful valley! ☺️

Youngandfree Tue 11-Dec-18 12:10:46

Carlisle?

Youngandfree Tue 11-Dec-18 12:12:00

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION%5E283&insId=1&maxPrice=100000&includeSSTC=true&_includeSSTC=on&googleAnalyticsChannel=buying

nooddsocksforme Tue 11-Dec-18 12:19:16

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-67566952.html
If you love Edinburgh you could look at the Scottish Borders . Peebles is lovely and there are regular buses to Edinburgh which is about 20 miles away

Murinae Tue 11-Dec-18 12:20:01

South Wales, somewhere near Cardiff. Lots of towns and villages around that you can buy a house for that price.

LurksNoLonger Wed 12-Dec-18 18:31:42

Folkestone is very arty, and currently v cheap (but rising owing to proximity to London and high speed rail link). We have a triennial art festival featuring lots of well known artists/sculptures so as you move around town you can spot an Emim or a Gormley amongst others. Also book festivals, festivals of lights and lots more of that type of thing - regular installations. It has its own creative foundation with multi million pound backing so there is always something going on locally (the most recent big thing was being the main ‘canvas’ for Danny Boyle’s Page of the Sea beach art for the Armistice Day centenary) and many people are being drawn here because of it...I didn’t move here for that - I love the architecture and the countryside and the sea views,but the creative side is a nice added extra 😁😁

LadyMonicaBaddingham Wed 12-Dec-18 18:47:06

West Wales. Carmarthen, Llanelli, Aberystwyth.

lots33 Fri 14-Dec-18 20:10:32

Swansea - I moved here 15 years ago having previously lived in London.

Affordable, friendly, some lovely areas, great parks, beaches ...... lovely coffee shops too. Rubbish shopping but that’s not really my thing - train to Cardiff or online shopping. West of the centre. Uplands and Brynmill are urban, lively, studenty, multi cultural, great Victorian housing. Sketty, Killay, Dunvant are leafier, quieter, more surbuban. West Cross, Mumbles are posher and pricier but lovely.

Boredboredboredboredbored Fri 14-Dec-18 23:07:04

I third Shrewsbury! Dp is moving there next year and I'll be following in 4 years time once my dc have finished GCSEs and A levels. So much cheaper and far far nicer than where I live now.

lastqueenofscotland Fri 14-Dec-18 23:54:15

You could buy a 1 bed in some not awful parts of Manchester for £100k and a massive house in say, Moston. But that would likely be grim.

Wauden Fri 14-Dec-18 23:58:06

Northern Ireland.

Fozzleyplum Sat 15-Dec-18 00:04:04

Wirksworth in Derbyshire might fit the bill. If I was in your shoes, though, I'd go to Scotland.

jenthehen Sat 15-Dec-18 00:10:57

I was just about to suggest Wirksworth ( even though I don't live there). How coincidental!

Calledyoulastnightfromglasgow Sat 15-Dec-18 00:12:49

Do you work? Need to be near a city for that?

You could buy somewhere in the Scottish Borders - some quite close to Edinburgh. Check out Peebles or Melrose or st Boswell’s.

Or the coast - Dunbar area.

If I could live anywhere in Scotland I would choose gairloch! Maybe a bit bleak in winter though! Dunkeld lovely.

gregcal Sat 15-Dec-18 16:43:29

The north east. Gateshead/ Newcastle. Excellent schools, transport links and shopping. Beautiful countryside on the door step and easy access to the coast. People are very friendly. I am from Aberdeen and would not live anywhere else.

1hello2hello Sat 15-Dec-18 21:10:45

Between two lovely market towns in East Yorkshire.
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-67888879.html

Knittink Sat 15-Dec-18 21:16:32

I live in Cumbria, in the South Lakes area, not far from the Lancashire border. Near to the M6, so pretty accessible. Beautiful countryside, friendly people and affordable houses as long as you stay well clear of the National Park. We moved from the SE 4 years ago and haven't looked back!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: