Talk

Advanced search

Broadstairs

(7 Posts)
Redballoon79 Sat 11-Aug-18 19:55:04

Hello, we are very seriously thinking of moving to the coast. We need somewhere with good schools, trains to London for commuting ,sandy beaches and a safe and nice town. We've ruled out a lot of places and come to the decision that broadstairs could be a good bet.

I'd love to hear your experiences of the best areas, kids and baby groups, whether it offers a good quality of life for families. I have a 3 yo and a 9mo. Well be moving from north herts.

Many thanks in advance xx

LurksNoLonger Sun 12-Aug-18 20:21:39

Although I know Broadstairs pretty well can’t help with your questions I’m afraid, but just wondered if you had considered Folkestone. We spent well over a year looking all over Kent, Sussex and Suffolk coastlines and were totally wowed at the properties we could get for our money. One year on and we simply love it. Just back from a weekend in London, DH still commutes every day and we have gorgeous countryside, impressive architecture, a thriving social scene for young families and a wide variety of beaches. Oh and excellent schooling options. Highly recommend it 😁

planetclom Mon 13-Aug-18 00:51:31

Again I know Broadstairs but I would join a Facebook group and ask these questions. Both my cousins have little ones but they don't seem to take them to anything.
Look at the villages outside As well I live between sandwich and canterbury, Thanet is really close for beaches/shopping and everything else but I can get a bus back from canterbury after seeing friends for a drink/meal or the theatre shopping so best of both worlds. I am from Thanet I love it I just prefer the options having easy access to canterbury as well gives me (plus so many schools)

Redballoon79 Mon 13-Aug-18 13:56:54

Thank you both so much for taking the time to reply. We will explore more areas and look into the lifestyle yo compare. I didn't even think of folkestone. Asking on facebook is also a great idea. Many thanks again

ACatsNoHelpWithThat Mon 13-Aug-18 14:47:49

Folkestone's great and a bit better connected with the rest of the Kent than Thanet but someone correct me if I'm wrong as it's 7 years since I lived there. I think it's had a lot of money ploughed into it over the last few years and feels more cosmopolitan than it used to. Only a tiny sandy beach (rest is shingle) but the harbour's nice and you're close to family friendly stuff such as RH&D light railway, Port Lympne animal park, Hythe, Canterbury and not too far from Camber Sands. I still miss it!

TheBitchOfTheVicar Mon 13-Aug-18 15:13:04

Folkestone high street leaves a lot to be desired, though - I would have to go to Canterbury for any good shops.

Alexalee Mon 13-Aug-18 15:18:09

Folkestone is about to get 1000 new flats on the sea front as part of the harbour regeneration.
It will probably be a very good place to buy as I can see prices going up
Ramsgate is also becoming popular with the London crowd and becoming more hipster

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: