Talk

Advanced search

Shell only extension

(8 Posts)
Chickencellar Fri 10-Aug-18 14:06:47

We are looking at a possible extension , to keep costs down one plan is to get a builder to build till watertight then manage the individual trades separately. The extension would be fairly small 6/7m2 for a utility room.
I'm trying to get an idea of cost for the shell , I'm thinking £700m2?. We are in the north. Anyone else gone down this route ?

springmachine Fri 10-Aug-18 16:42:50

I'm in the south and recently getting a hell only quotes for a small utility flat roof extension and it was coming in at £30k!!

Needless to say I'm now reconsidering

Chickencellar Fri 10-Aug-18 17:26:13

Wow that's very high .

Oblomov18 Fri 10-Aug-18 18:02:35

The question is, is it worth doing yourself?
How much did the builder quote you for him doing it all. Compared to you arranging individual trades.

We've just finished 3 month job, with my bil managing. Bless him he's a diamond, but Dh and him were strained many times. The plumber didn't come on this day, the plaster it was so hot he struggled.
The slopping roof of our new kitchen extension wasn't ordered despite them saying that they had ...and the guy was now on holiday.

You ready for all that nonsense?

Chickencellar Fri 10-Aug-18 20:09:40

That wouldn't bother me , we have refurbished , well nearly , the rest of the house. I've built up contacts and I enjoy that bit of it. Also do a fair bit ourselves.

namechangedtoday15 Fri 10-Aug-18 20:43:24

I think that's really optimistic

Chickencellar Fri 10-Aug-18 21:40:06

Haha , the price or us project managing it ?

Alexalee Sat 11-Aug-18 07:39:33

Springmachine I had a similar extension done last year for far less pm me if you want details of the guys I used. They work with east London

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: