Talk

Advanced search

Put offer in, now under offer (not ours)

(30 Posts)
LonelyStranger Thu 09-Aug-18 19:16:44

Side note before I put message, NC from Emotionaleater.

We were interested in a property that came back on the market. We were the first to view and put offer in (were told at least three other viewings will take place). We placed our offer last week Friday, and the EA stated we should hear back Monday. We didn’t hear back, and even though I was more let’s chase this up, husband said to leave it for a while blush
So today, at 7pm the house now states under offer. We haven’t received any calls from EA since placing offer, and I’m gutted. I was hoping if our offer was too low (8% under) they would have told us. We didn’t say it was final offer.

Does this sound right and is this something to expect when trying to buy? I know the sellers have elsewhere already and wanted to move out quickly, so as FTB chains free and cash buyers I was hoping we were in a good position.
Just feel a little deflated... there are always other houses

namechangedtoday15 Thu 09-Aug-18 19:26:16

???? It's under offer. That could be your offer? When the vendor accepts an offer it is usually changed to Sold Subject To Contract. Just phone the EA to clarify the position.

Vitalogy Thu 09-Aug-18 19:26:33

That's annoying the estate agent didn't keep you updated. I'd have given them a ring on the Monday though. Can you give them a call tomorrow? Find out what happened.

Next time find out the name of the person dealing with it at the office, ask for them and keep in regular contact.

LithaFest Thu 09-Aug-18 19:29:38

I second what PP said, the under offer could be yours. Although I would have thought the EA would have called you back to say your offer was accepted...

Better chase them up. Good luck

Alexalee Thu 09-Aug-18 19:34:20

Probably got an asking price and take it off the market offer from another buyer

Magstermay Thu 09-Aug-18 19:44:24

I’d give the agent a call tomorrow to see what’s happened. Generally a good idea to follow up if you don’t hear when expected though.

LonelyStranger Thu 09-Aug-18 19:52:09

Thanks everyone, we will ask tomorrow, I am annoyed we didn’t chase it up.
I would have liked to have the opportunity to up our offer if necessary.
I think I’d be ecstatic if they’ve accepted our offer (still strange not to be told if that was the case).

BathmatOfDoom Thu 09-Aug-18 20:06:01

When we bought our last house, we made an offer to the EA who said "I can assure you that this offer will not be accepted". The next day there was an "under offer" sign on the house. I phoned them in a rage, furious that I hadn't been given a chance to bid again, only to find it was my offer! I was still mightily pissed off.

LonelyStranger Thu 09-Aug-18 20:32:29

Oh wow bathmat, that’s annoying. I would be super happy if that happens (alongside being super annoyed).

LithaFest Fri 10-Aug-18 12:49:05

Any news on the horizon OP? Hope if there is it is of the good variety smile

LonelyStranger Fri 10-Aug-18 14:03:55

Thank you for asking. I called, the lady I spoke to said she would have to pass message on as the EA that’s dealing with that was busy with another client. This was at 11.30 today and no call back yet. Will call back again, It might be that our offer was rejected but they forgot to tell us confused

Magstermay Fri 10-Aug-18 14:44:27

Good luck! I’d find it odd if they didn’t come back to a cash buyer to negotiate.

Spicylolly Fri 10-Aug-18 15:35:40

Glad you posted i was wondering how it was going......Keep calling them, can't believe they haven't let you know one way or the other! I would of lost my mind waiting a whole week to find out x

EdisonLightBulb Fri 10-Aug-18 16:00:50

It might be that our offer was rejected but they forgot to tell us - confused

or they didn't have the balls to tell you, or they CBA telling you, or they sold it to the estate agent's friend.

I don't trust any EA. Sorry you have been messed about OP.

LonelyStranger Fri 10-Aug-18 17:58:56

Thought I’d update.
So this morning when I rang I was told the lady was busy with another client and would call back.
Didn’t hear back, so called again just after 5. Rang the same office, and was told that the message has been passed onto the other office (in neighbouring town-very small towns but not the one we’ve been dealing with).
Called the other office, got pretty much the same answer confused the message has been passed on and the EA dealing with the property will call me tomorrow morning or I can always call back hmm

I’m not sure what to expect, they can’t keep telling me to call the various local offices..or can they shock

Edison- honestly I had some hope, even after hearing horror stories from family and friends I thought I wouldn’t have a similar experience sad

Won’t lie, I am gutted, we’ve been looking at this area for a while now, and when this property came back on the market I was super excited!

It would have made it easier to accept of we’d had the chance to offer more and then offer rejected and not like this.

namechangedtoday15 Fri 10-Aug-18 18:50:56

I think until you have some answers, don't lose heart. EAs have different ways of applying the "under offer" or "sold subject to contract" titles.

Spicylolly Fri 10-Aug-18 22:10:35

Can't believe no one has contacted you, they should be being your best friends, cash buyers are like good dust!

LonelyStranger Sat 11-Aug-18 09:59:51

Called again this morning.
All I got told was a huger offer came in and was accepted. I asked why no one contacted us to enable us to negotiate a higher offer, and the lady said she’s not sure who was dealing with it, they should have and how she’s sorry sad
I’m very disappointed, the estate agents blatantly ignored us, oh well, time to start hunting again.

Alexalee Sat 11-Aug-18 11:15:39

Tbh op you should have put ur best offer in... you will not always get a 2nd bite at the cherry. Especially if someone came in at full asking and said on condition of it being removed from the market immediately... which is probably what happened.

LonelyStranger Sat 11-Aug-18 12:52:56

I do appreciate that, but I assumed it was common courtesy to let us know our offer was too low/rejected rather than ignore us.

loveka Sat 11-Aug-18 12:57:30

Not only common courtesy but they may have ended up getting more for the house.

SpoonBlender Sat 11-Aug-18 13:12:07

Sounds like your EA has no organisation skills - failing to tell you, failing to get back to you, not sharing information with other people in the office. If you happen to deal with the same group next time, specify it's not to be handled by that person.

I bet they're someone senior, often the way as no-one can call them out on it. Ugh, estate agents...

Good luck in your hunting!

SassitudeandSparkle Sat 11-Aug-18 13:21:27

How odd - I wouldn't normally say this, but are you sure they put your offer forward? Our EA used to ring us with offers but also send us a letter containing the details.

BathmatOfDoom Sat 11-Aug-18 14:14:04

That was really shitty of them. You never know how it'll pan out. We offered a couple of weeks ago then when it went to a closing date we pulled out (the location would have caused childcare issues). It went under offer then yesterday I got a call asking if I was still interested since the sale had fallen through. Don't lose heart.

CatkinToadflax Sat 11-Aug-18 17:06:56

We were “the other offer” in similar circumstances a few years ago when we bought our current home. Someone had put an offer in and had it turned down and - I found out a while afterwards as our EA was a very gossipy sort of chap - had asked the EA to let them know immediately if anyone else made an offer so that they could increase theirs. Instead we offered the asking price and it was accepted and apparently the original couple were massively pee’d off, entirely understandably. I feel for you OP.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: