Talk

Advanced search

London - nice area to rent for 45 year olds!

(127 Posts)
LaFlottes Wed 08-Aug-18 13:09:12

We are thinking of renting out our house and having a couple of years perhaps in London.
This won't be for a little while, but we are doing some research.
We would be looking to spend between £1800 and £2500 per month I guess and would be hoping for an area suitable for a couple of 45 year olds with some nice bars/coffee shops/restaurants in walking distance and near a tube line into central London.
Any recommendations?
Thank you so much!

MrsPatmore Wed 08-Aug-18 13:12:32

You might be able to get a one bed flat in Islington for that budget. I don't know much about North of the river but the Greenwich Millenium development on the river has dozens of flats to rent. Close to North Greenwich tube station (Jubilee Line), easy run into central London and Greenwich/O2 close by.

hiddenmnetter Wed 08-Aug-18 13:44:45

Muswell Hill sounds about right

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Wed 08-Aug-18 14:17:21

Any idea what stations you'd be commuting into?

Merrylegs Wed 08-Aug-18 14:31:39

Pimlico. (Grid). Villagey. Good 'local' eateries. Zone 1. Or walk into central London through St James park or to Southbank or Sloane Square (for £12 Royal Court tickets on a Monday! And Saatchi gallery). Walk to Tate Britain then get boat across to Tate Modern. Walk to Battersea park. 24 bus to Trafalger Square. 2 bed flat with balcony from £500 a week. Close to Victoria for day trips to Brighton (Southern rail permitting!)

Floozymum Wed 08-Aug-18 14:39:24

Richmond or Ealing both lovely areas with lots of green but also great coffee shops, restaurants etc. You'd be able to rent a nice place for that budget.

Balham is lovely and the surrounding areas are nice, however it's on the dreaded northern line.

Chelsea and Kensington are the obvious ones but you probably wouldn't get much for your money there. Although you've got everything you need on Kings Road.

Viewoffriday Wed 08-Aug-18 15:00:22

There's no tube in Muswell Hill though. It's not proper London is it?

Similar for Richmond. Both really lovely areas but partly because they're a bit non London, isn't it?

Islington would be more like it. You could get something small in Bloomsbury, which is a bloody lovely place to be for a few years. Or if you could get anywhere in the new King's Cross, that's pretty cool.

camelfinger Wed 08-Aug-18 15:04:33

Old Street and Barbican have a few places on rightmove towards the upper end of this budget if you were ok with a 1 bed flat.

BobbyGentry Wed 08-Aug-18 15:08:27

Raynes Park, South West Wimbledon, was lovely back in the day, takes you into Waterloo station in no time at all. Also accessible to Kingston upon Thames.

lexer Wed 08-Aug-18 15:51:51

Raynes Park...lovely ?? Are you having a laugh

serbska Wed 08-Aug-18 16:11:14

Raynes Park, South West Wimbledon, was lovely back in the day, takes you into Waterloo station in no time at all. Also accessible to Kingston upon Thames.

They are not really "London" - far out and boring suburbs

OP if you're here for a short time to "do" London, don't live any further than Zone 2. Ideally try and be walking distance to most central london things.

+1 for @Viewoffriday suggestions

MrsD28 Wed 08-Aug-18 16:16:01

Stroud Green (next to Finsbury Park station, on the Crouch End side). Zone 2, still feels urban, lots of transport, but with a big park plus loads of lovely restaurants - and just down the road from Crouch End and Muswell Hill if you want something a little more village-y. Best area in London by a mile! (IMO)

shartsi Wed 08-Aug-18 16:24:36

St Katharine dock. Lovely

LaFlottes Wed 08-Aug-18 16:38:20

Thank you all so much this is great!!

I should have said that we would want 2 bedrooms ideally.

Work wise, I work from home so can be anywhere and husband would be commuting into Bank station I think.

Thank you - loads of ideas!

onemouseplace Wed 08-Aug-18 16:44:39

I just had a quick look on rightmove and there are 2-bed places available for withn that budget in the Belsize Park/ Primrose Hill, Hampstead area.

LaFlottes Wed 08-Aug-18 17:51:01

Onemouseplace - thank you - I will take a look at that too. I had assumed those areas would be too expensive for us. Thank you!

sunshinesupermum Wed 08-Aug-18 17:56:38

Putney is lovely - near Richmond Park, great transport links and well within budget for 2 bed flats

HollowTalk Wed 08-Aug-18 17:57:13

I would love to do this! Will the rent you gain on your home equal the rent you'd pay out?

BubblesBuddy Wed 08-Aug-18 19:09:05

Putney is also miles out! So is Ealing and Wimbledon. Kennington,( look around Cleaver Square) Oval and Clapham are possibilities for two beds and have lovely streets. Also consider Queens Park, Angel and possibly Shoreditch. Bermondsey is pretty fashionable now (according to the Sunday Times). I also think Pimlico is a good idea.

When renting in London, apart from the quality of the flat, underground links dictate price, nice areas with shops and restaurants and unspoilt housing which attracts families as well as yopros. You don’t want 3/4 mile walk to an underground station! Or a massive commute back home after a day out. Look at access to underground stations and how you get to mainline stations. Some areas are far better places than others in your price range.

sunshinesupermum Wed 08-Aug-18 19:17:28

Bubbles Putney isn't 'miles out' at all - Putney Mainline station to Clapham Junction is 3 minutes then 1 stop into Victoria; to Waterloo less than 20 mins, to Vauxhall 15 mins. Serviced by two District Line stops - East Putney and Putney Bridge with stops at Earls Court and Kensington High Street; countless buses available too. HTH.

sunshinesupermum Wed 08-Aug-18 19:20:51

Rightmove have 130 x 1 and 2 bed flats for rent in your price range OP!
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION%5E85244&maxBedrooms=2&minBedrooms=1&maxPrice=2500&minPrice=1750&propertyTypes=flat&primaryDisplayPropertyType=flats&includeLetAgreed=false

Brideslave Wed 08-Aug-18 19:26:09

London Bridge/ Borough/ Bermondsey areas would get my vote!

serbska Wed 08-Aug-18 22:15:38

Putney is miles out. You only say “only <x> mins to <mainline station> “ for places that are miles away.

London Bridge/ Borough/ Bermondsey areas would get my vote

Yes especially with working in Bank, nice walk to work.

MrPotatosGirlfriend Wed 08-Aug-18 22:24:58

Another for bermondsey / borough / Canada water way

Canada water, and possibly Surrey quays are both still up and coming, some charges, but the high street is still pretty ropey, however the area around the docks is so pretty if you work from home and very affordable compared to other areas.

If your other half is commuting to Bank, I'd highly suggest being bear Greenland docks and getting the riverboat to London Bridge / Tower of London. It is just the must amazing way to commute.

The only downside is the London fog, but then Canada Water is a short walk away as a back up and the buses are possible (depending on how far along the London Bridge road works are).

Pardalis Wed 08-Aug-18 22:25:14

Blackheath. Green, beautiful, trains to Cannon St very frequently. I lived there once and would love to go back!

Greenwich is just a walk over the heath and into the park. Plus there's the DLR

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: