Talk

Advanced search

How soon should we expect viewings?

(37 Posts)
YogiBear13 Mon 06-Aug-18 17:50:45

We're selling our flat at the moment as we need to get somewhere bigger, but we've only owned this flat so never sold anywhere before.

I know it's a "how long is a piece of string" type question, but how soon after the flat being listed online should we expect viewings? And after how long without viewings should we worry?

wowfudge Mon 06-Aug-18 18:16:58

We had a couple within a few days - went on the market on a Wednesday and had two viewings at the weekend then two or three the following weekend. We had mostly weekend viewings.

JustLurk1ng Mon 06-Aug-18 18:27:56

If you don't have viewings booked in the first couple of weeks I'd be worried. It is holiday season - but even with that would expect a couple of viewing as new listings email trigger an email notification. If you've not had any interest in the first 10 days id consider whether it may be that it is overpriced or the property ad isn't showing it to its best. Are you hoping to move quickly?

YogiBear13 Mon 06-Aug-18 19:01:49

Ok thanks. It went up on Thursday and we've heard nothing, I'll maybe worry after this weekend if we've still heard nothing.

We're not in a massive rush, just wanted to know at what point to worry about the price and/or the advert.

JustLurk1ng Mon 06-Aug-18 19:06:16

Maybe ask your EA - at the end of the day they are responsible for marketing your property and helping you put it on at the right price. Some people post their ads on MN for views - you could try that if you're feeling brave and want some opinions (or ask people to PM for feedback)

Travellerfromanantiqueland Mon 06-Aug-18 19:09:26

Think we had 8 or 9 in the first couple of weeks. Then it went quiet for a few weeks so we dropped the price which resulted in 4 viewings in the next few days and a couple of offers. If you dont get viewings, it's just about always because of the price. When we dropped our price, I specifically chose a price that would drop it into the next Right Move price band.

puguin86 Mon 06-Aug-18 19:15:53

We had 8 in the first week and three offers. We did however sell in a sought after place in the right bracket range. We knew a house behind sold for the same two weeks prior. If you're on with an estate agent have you asked if they have contacted all the people we know of that are looking ?

The girl who bought ours had missed out on the house behind and the estate agent told her that ours had come onto the market.

JustLurk1ng Mon 06-Aug-18 19:23:41

And just for background took us 5 months, 2 offers and 2 price drops to sell but we still had 3 viewings booked in the first 10 days

Spicylolly Mon 06-Aug-18 20:25:24

It took us 2 weeks before we got any viewings.

RangerLady Tue 07-Aug-18 13:36:12

We had 3 viewings within 2 days of going on the market, them another 4 within a week. We sold on the 7th day. Our village is very sought after though.

Alexalee Tue 07-Aug-18 17:32:17

I think if you don't have any viewing booked in the first week you are not competitively priced

peachypetite Tue 07-Aug-18 17:34:32

Usually it triggers interest almost immediately. If you don't have any enquiries this week it's probably overpriced

YogiBear13 Tue 07-Aug-18 17:51:44

We had a couple of estate agents who told us the same price (£210k, which we've listed at) and one estate agent who told us £200k.

It's actually my other half's flat that he's selling so we can buy somewhere bigger together and he is quite set on listing at this price (although he's very happy to accept lower). Looking online at similar things we are at the higher end, price-wise, but definitely still within the price range I can see. I'm just not sure I'll be able to persuade him to talk about the price for quite a while.

peachypetite Tue 07-Aug-18 18:09:04

Just to add that the market is really slowing and most people are having to reduce.

Alexalee Tue 07-Aug-18 18:14:25

Share the link?
To be honest if 1 said 200k I would put it on for 199950... you will get far more viewings. If you have had none it is because there are better value properties for that price so people will look at them... not yours

Emmasmum2013 Tue 07-Aug-18 18:21:10

It depends on several things that you'd need to speak to your estate agent about:

1. The marketing of the property - is it on right move? How many hits has it had compared to their other properties? They should have an admin log in and be able to see this data if they're a decent agent.

2. Are they actively marketing it themselves? So are they ringing people who are looking in your area to see if they want to view? If so, what's the feedback? If not, why not?

3. What makes your property at the higher end of the market? You need to justify that top end price tag.

At the end of the day, this should give a good indicator of whether it's overpriced or marketed poorly.

MyOtherProfile Tue 07-Aug-18 18:23:40

Ask your EA. It totally depends on the area you live in and what the local market is like. We had 17 viewings in the 1st week and 2 offers by the end of that but we are in a buoyant area.

YogiBear13 Tue 07-Aug-18 19:06:57

I'd rather not share the link, purely because I was thinking of asking the EA to look into how many people were looking at the ad online and if I post it here it will skew it.

I think maybe if we don't get any viewings this weekend I'll speak to my other half about reducing it, as that will be two weekends without getting any.

MyOtherProfile Tue 07-Aug-18 20:12:29

In my experience you get more viewings the day or so after it goes on rightmove because people with alerts set will have had emails about the house. So I would be speaking to the EA now anyway if you have had nothing.

YogiBear13 Wed 08-Aug-18 11:38:56

Sorry, this is probably a stupid question but a few people have mentioned talking to the estate agent already, but what should I ask?

I mean, I'll ask whether anyone has been interested and he'll say "we've had a few online queries but no viewings booked yet" which is what he said when I spoke to him on Monday, but then what? He took the pictures, made the ad, gave us the asking price so he presumably doesnt think/won't say that there's anything wrong with those. I'm sure this is a silly question but I've never sold anywhere before and I worry about hassling people too much (which I know is silly as we are the ones paying him..).

wowfudge Wed 08-Aug-18 12:45:41

Ask him what they have done other than putting the details online as you are disappointed not to have had any viewings booked. Listen to what he says. Ask.why he thinks there have been no viewings.

I assume you have looked at where the listing is on the list if you search on Rightmove. It is on Rightmove I hope?

YogiBear13 Wed 08-Aug-18 15:32:57

Just spoke to him. He said that they've sent it out to people on their list at the moment where our flat matches their criteria. And same as Monday he said that they've had enquiries through from people who've seen it on Rightmove but that none had arranged a viewing yet.

I did ask why he thought we'd had no viewings and he said that people will want to look at a lot of places online before "committing to a viewing", and that he wasn't worried. I'm not sure whether I totally buy that, do people spend ages and ages weighing up whether or not to view somewhere? Obviously it's maybe better if they do, as it means any viewers are more likely to be serious, but I'm not sure I believe that that's the reason no one at all has viewed it yet?

I'm still a bit concerned at the lack of viewings, but if the EA says he's not worried then I definitely won't be able to persuade my other half to look at the price again.

Alexalee Wed 08-Aug-18 15:43:01

I don't think many people call to enquire. If I see something I like the look of I book a viewing... What could they possibly need to ask that is not in the advert

PhyllisDietrichson Wed 08-Aug-18 15:46:05

Im not sure where you are geographically Yogi, but this is a pre-brexit market (in March) so buyers are wary and people are still away on holiday anyway. September would prob be a better time to list. We put ours on a month ago in London and had the exact same response - nothing. The market is unstable with prices falling in London but still going up in other areas. And EAs have not readjusted their prices yet. We put ours on in the middle price range of our EA quotes, got no interest, so a week later re-listed lower than all 3 agents' predictions and got viewings and an offer, but just the one offer so far. So we know this is the right price-point.

it's frustrating when you're told to expect X price when the price you might actually sell at may be much lower. I do think in a rising market though, like when we last sold, we had lots of viewings and an offer in about 10 days, couldn't be more different this time round.

RedStef1983 Wed 08-Aug-18 15:47:26

Is your EA a local firm, with good local knowledge? We found that made all this difference when selling our house a couple of months ago. When we instructed the EA they had a list of people wanting particular type houses/flats in particular locations, so we had 8 viewings and accepted full asking price within 36 hours- the house never actually made it into the open market.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: