Advanced search

‘No DSS’ when renting

(165 Posts)
ihavetogoshoppingnow Sat 23-Jun-18 14:20:52

When estate agents say no DSS does it mean anyone on benefits at all or just people who are unemployed?

I currently own a house with my now ex and I’m looking at moving out and renting untill our house sells and I can buy on my own. I work full time but will be entitled to tax credits and housing benefit.

PipLongStockings Sat 23-Jun-18 14:25:06

I think it generally means any benefit as you will need to show you can afford the rent. Saying that I have rented in the past on housing benefit and just offered to pay 6 months upfront. No landlord would say no to that

ReginaOcarina Sat 23-Jun-18 14:26:05

From my experience when we rented our house out, it's usually full housing benefit and jsa... It's usually a rule that comes from the mortgage company when they give you permission to rent it out (rather than the landlord being judgy!)

NameChange30 Sat 23-Jun-18 14:27:14

theunsure Sat 23-Jun-18 14:30:36

I’m a landlord and I would say no to that!

OP-it will vary. In my case I don’t accept anyone who cannot afford the full rent from their salary. Affordability calculated by salary being at least the monthly rent multiplied by 30 e.g £700pcm rent would need a salary of £21k
But all landlords differ.

PipLongStockings Sat 23-Jun-18 14:33:21

@theunsure out of interest why would you have said no? 6 month contract, 6 months upfront plus deposit.

theunsure Sat 23-Jun-18 14:40:29


It is well known that it is what scammers and cannabis farmers do and my landlord insurance would be invalid. Of course not saying everyone that offers to do that isn’t legitimate but I have no need to take the risk.

My rental house is my home from before I met DH. I am very attached to it and my old neighbours so I vet my tenants very carefully. I have always been able to get excellent tenants who can easily afford the rent based on salary so that is the only demographic I want to rent to.

ihavetogoshoppingnow Sat 23-Jun-18 14:42:46

Thanks everyone, I guess I’ll have to ring up and ask. I earn 20k a year and the houses I’m looking at are £5-600 a month the housing benefit i would be entitled to is only around £180 a month so I wouldn’t ‘need’ it to be able to afford the rent but it would help.

theunsure Sat 23-Jun-18 14:43:38

Sorry meant to add that it also is common in houses illegally sublet, private homes used as brothels etc etc. They use false id and pay cash upfront so as to be untraceable. In mumsnet language it is a huge “red flag”!

PotteringAlong Sat 23-Jun-18 14:44:40

The terms of my mortgage and my insurance say I can’t rent to anyone in receipt of housing benefits so you might find that is the reason why people say no.

InfiniteSheldon Sat 23-Jun-18 16:48:44

We own our BTL outright so have no conditions on it but we no longer accept Benefit tenants sadly we have been burnt too often since rent started being paid directly to the tenant. However if you rang me explained your situation and had references I would accept you as your position isn't really a tenant on benefits.

SingularityX Sat 23-Jun-18 16:50:25

It means any housing benefit, JSA or benefits of any kind.

It’s the new “no blacks no Irish”

MrBeanTeddy Sat 23-Jun-18 17:06:18

It’s the new “no blacks no Irish”

^^ this.

It's incredibly discriminatory, I'm on "full" benefits, I've lived in 2 private rented properties, paid 3 months up front, and have always had my rent 2 months in advance.

I need to move to a bigger property and no one will touch me, even though I've got a guarantor, get full rent and can give 2 months up front. Oh and great references!

SingularityX Sat 23-Jun-18 17:10:49


My DM is on the highest rate of disability, cannot work but keeps her property immaculate, garden is beautiful and has never ever paid her rent late. Ever.

She had to move 7 months ago and ended up taking a bed in a women’s refuge as nobody would touch her and the council had no housing at all. A space in a refuge ffs!

SmashedMug Sat 23-Jun-18 17:19:31

If you can afford the rent without the housing benefit, I'd apply without it and once you are settled in toddle off down to apply for housing benefit. You might have a month where you cover it all yourself but then you'll have that £180 help after that. It's only the same as what someone losing their job after getting a new tenancy would do.

SingularityX Sat 23-Jun-18 17:20:52

Not possible @smashedmug. They want wage slips and three months bank statements.

You can’t hide your benefits

InfiniteSheldon Sat 23-Jun-18 17:22:27

It's wrong on every level but blame the system. A proportion of tenants paid benefits directly don't pay the landlord or pay late or are just awkward about paying. Landlords can't pay their mortgage or other costs and decide benefit tenants are too high risk. Mortgage companies and Insurance companies dont get paid when landlord don't get their rent and they too ddecide those tenants are too high risk and won't lend if you take them.
The fault lies with those few who don't pay and a system that favours them over the honest good tenants. It's nothing like 'no black, no Irish'. That's racism it's discrimination with no reason. No benefits has a very sound and valid reason. I was a single mother renting on benefits in my early twenties I know both sides of this and I lay the blame with those who don't pay their rent and a benefits system that colluded and encouraged them.
OP you've been caught in a nasty trap but there will be Landlords willing to rent to you if you explain your situation.

Roomba Sat 23-Jun-18 17:26:11

This will mean a HUGE proportion of the country won't be able to rent, once universal credit is fully rolled out. Anyone currently getting WTC/CTC will also be viewed as 'DSS' which is crazy.

Uyulala Sat 23-Jun-18 17:26:16

How does one show wage slips etc if you are going to have to get a new job? Like if moving to a completely different area

ihavetogoshoppingnow Sat 23-Jun-18 17:27:21

I was thinking that SmashedMug I wouldn’t be eligible to apply for bennefis untill I’d moved out anyway. My bank statements are joint though so would show my ex’s income too, Ive got no references as I’ve owned since I left home and my parents both only work part time and have crap credit so no guarantor either, it’s looking more and more likely that I’m going to have to grin and bear living together till our house sells sad

InfiniteSheldon Sat 23-Jun-18 17:29:35

Are you even eligible for benefits if you own a house? Can you just go on your wage slips and maintenance agreement?

SingularityX Sat 23-Jun-18 17:57:09

InfinateSheldon...I understand your point, but a huge number of people including those working now get some HB. To exclude all of them based on the actions of a few is discrimination.

I don’t see that it’s much different than taxi drivers who refuse to pick up black men as they've had a couple run off without paying.

Don’t get me started on the amount of family homes that people won’t let to actual families!

Quick check through righmove has brought up loads of 3/4 bedroom homes ideal for “professional couples”!

NoNamesLeft86 Sat 23-Jun-18 18:15:39

I find this extremely frustrating. I am "DSS" as I am an unpaid carer. As a result I am paying way way over the odds for a run down house with endless problems. The landlord knows I have no choice and therefore can do what they like (or not as the case maybe).

There are places much cheaper and nicer in the area, but they won't take us. I can't see how it's any less discriminatory than not taking on a certain race, sex or age etc

specialsubject Sat 23-Jun-18 20:38:47

go kick your mp awake and ask them to sort out the mortgage and insurers if you object to this.

and that is any type of mp, corbyn hasnt been able to understand this either.

NameChange30 Sat 23-Jun-18 20:45:20

I agree, the fault is with the mortgage providers and insurance companies, and the government needs to set up legislation and/or schemes so that people on benefits can rent privately. Governments created the housing crisis and they need to do more to help people struggling with it.

As for the OP’s situation, if you own property jointly with a partner and you’re separating, it’s complicated. I suggest you talk to Citizens Advice and see if you can get a free/low cost initial consultation with a family lawyer too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »