Talk

Advanced search

Templating for worktops - can you describe your experience?

(8 Posts)
Jetteage Wed 20-Jun-18 13:40:47

Feeling a bit unsure about the company we might proceed with for worktops. They came out to template and I didn’t feel confident that he understood exactly what we are wanting or even took the measurements correctly. Can you please describe your experience?

Baxdream Wed 20-Jun-18 14:02:30

Our people weren't chatty or anything but they sure knew what they were doing!
Our worktops are gorgeous!!

wowfudge Wed 20-Jun-18 14:19:24

Have they sent you the details to check? It depends on the material but check they have the edge style you want and any return (bit underneath) especially if it's formed around a MDF core.

Jetteage Wed 20-Jun-18 19:20:37

Thanks. I had seen videos of people using lasers but with ours they used a piece of what looked like floor protector with lots of scribbles on it. I also do not want overhang as it will look off in some places where cabinets were installed flush with walls and also it would prevent some of my interior drawers opening. The templater just couldn’t accept that I would like it flush. We also need quite a bit more than was initially quoted. Does this sound typical?

wowfudge Wed 20-Jun-18 20:27:40

If you're not happy you need to talk to them - and quickly before they start work.

Jetteage Wed 20-Jun-18 20:38:44

Thank you Wowfudge, I have already. It is just different to how I remember our past worktops being done, although our current kitchen is far more complicated. This company seemed highly professional and they were recommended by the manufacturer. The templater has me doubting everything - he had questions but didn’t seem to listen to my answers.

bathildab Wed 20-Jun-18 20:44:00

I don't know about your late changes as I dealt through a kitchen company but the stonemasons they used templated our Caesarstone using markings on correx as well and they are spot on to the mm.

KitchenGuy Fri 22-Jun-18 02:49:03

I use Cordek, a floor protector material, it's pretty much the norm for worktop templaters to use this sort of material. I put lots of scribbles on them too. smile Be really careful before you choose to try and go flush with your worktops. You may think your kitchen is dead straight but if you run your eye along it you will find it never is. The worktop will almost certainly be much straighter than the kitchen and it's unlikely you will achieve a perfect fit along a long run with any returns. Also your eye running along a length is super critical and will pick up on the slightest of discrepancies .An overhang, however small will iron out this problem. I would have grave reservations whether it would work out satisfactory in practice. Even a quality laser line is a millimetre thick, your eye can pick up on a tenth of that.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: