Advanced search

Electric central heating or immersion heater and storage heaters?

(8 Posts)
TimeTarroganStrife Tue 19-Jun-18 17:27:30

We’re about to renovate a 2 bedroom holiday cottage.
it currently has a back boiler fire in the dining room , providing partial central heating to radiators in ground floor bedroom, bathroom and upstairs bedroom only. Back boiler also heats the water .
There is also an immersion heater.
In the living room there is a LPG fired stove .
There is a old storage heater in the kitchen.
No mains gas in the village.
We will be removing the back boiler fire as we need to reposition the stairs , to provide adequate headroom and a new bathroom upstairs . We will also convert current downstairs bathroom into a shower room .
We would like to remove the LPG stove and put a multi fuel stove in the living room .
Currently wondering if we should get Electric central heating for hot water and radiators or
Have storage heaters and an immersion heater.
Not keen on installing oil central heating.
Any ideas please on what would work best/economical or what else we should consider? Many thanks

specialsubject Tue 19-Jun-18 17:29:24

why not oil or lpg? much cheaper to run although obvious cost for the install.

storage heaters for a holiday cottage - customers will never cope.

TimeTarroganStrife Tue 19-Jun-18 17:33:57

Not keen on oil as trying to be ‘future proof’ in case oil prices go up . I’ll investigate LPG . Thank you

EmmaGrundyForPM Tue 19-Jun-18 17:36:07

We live rurally with no Mains gas. We've just installed an air source heat pump. Pricey up front but government subsidy means you recoup the cost quickly.

TimeTarroganStrife Tue 19-Jun-18 17:39:55

Thank you EmmaGrundy , I’ll investigate them as well!

specialsubject Tue 19-Jun-18 17:42:33

electriciry prices go up about 10% a year , some times it is 30%. fiddled inflation figures and falsified comparisons hide it.

no guarantees but oil doesnt lock you into one supplier and has been cheapest for a few years. i doubt you would get rhi for a holiday cottage.

PigletJohn Tue 19-Jun-18 18:24:01

if you're heating the hot water electrically, get a good big modern cylinder, with an upper and a lower immersion heater. Insulation is so good that if it is accidentally left on, heat losses will not cost much.

You'll need a good local plumber to measure your pressure and (most importantly) flow, to decide if you can use an unvented cylinder (best) or a vented cylinder with a cold water tank in the loft.

I have no experience of modern electric central heating.

I doubt it will be worthwhile having an off peak ("economy 7") type tariff unless you can have some kind of heat storage that is charged overnight.

A large multifuel can heat (some) radiators and a cylinder, but is much slower to get started than gas, and needs more user effort, so is probably unsuitable for a holiday let. If it will mostly be used in summer I wouldn't spend much on central heating or UFH, which is expensive unless done during build or major refurb. Panel heaters are expensive to run but cheap to buy and will not be needed much in warm weather.

TimeTarroganStrife Tue 19-Jun-18 18:39:31

Thank you PigletJohn that’s really helpful .

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: