Talk

Advanced search

No wardrobes

(25 Posts)
cherrytrees123 Wed 13-Jun-18 09:02:18

Thinking about offering on a lovely house in a great area, but the bedrooms are small and there are no built in wardrobes. They have a small cupboard in the main bedroom. We have a lot of clothes and shoes, and a lot of general stuff which I know I need to really pare down. I can see the other two bedrooms which are small being filled with all the overflow, so we're living in a mess. There is also no linen cupboard and no garage. I am struggling to think of how we can downsize sufficiently to fit into this house. The current owners who have two small children are finding it too small and therefore moving. The area is idyllic and I wondering whether I am letting heart rule head.
Anyone experience of of decluttering in a major way? So much stuff needs to go...

OhMyGodTheyKilledKenny Wed 13-Jun-18 09:08:29

Do you need to use all of the bedrooms as bedrooms or can you convert one into a walk-in wardrobe/cupboard?

ASqueakingInTheShrubbery Wed 13-Jun-18 09:12:57

It doesn't sound like the right house for you, unless the finances mean that you have to downsize.

Racecardriver Wed 13-Jun-18 09:14:59

How much of your clothing do you actually wear? I literally packed away two thirds of my husbands clothes. He hasn't noticed.

DownUdderer Wed 13-Jun-18 09:21:42

I’d welcome the forced declutter! Is there a loft? Can you extend? I once saw a crazy house where the built in wardrobes were outside, just the door which was flush with the walls, was internal.

NapQueen Wed 13-Jun-18 09:25:01

We have two dcs and no linen cupboard - got a nice hamper in one bedroom for overflow but our linen just tends to be on the beds or folded towels in the bathroom. How much extra linen do you need that it necessitates a whole cupboard?

MrsBlondie Wed 13-Jun-18 09:51:06

Is there space to have built in wardrobes added?

We have no linen cupboard, just have it all in built-in wardrobes

cherrytrees123 Wed 13-Jun-18 09:57:29

There is a space to build a cupboard, but it isn't particularly large. We have accumulated a lot of stuff and need to get rid of it, maybe I just need to bite the bullet. Too many sheets and towels too. I'm a bit of a hoarder. Lots of shoes too!! There is scope to extend and the current owners have had plans drawn up, but no costings, and we don't have the money to have it done at the moment I suspect.

Jonbb Wed 13-Jun-18 09:59:55

I halved my clothes and books to downsize 3 years ago, and am now enjoying slightly pared down belongings. And what helps is a one in, one out regime!

cherrytrees123 Wed 13-Jun-18 10:05:03

Yes books are another issue. I have a lot of books, but there is a loft. Just means I can't find the book I am looking for.

WellTidy Wed 13-Jun-18 11:08:55

Unless you can devote one of the bedrooms solely to storage, I would say it isn’t the right house for you. How will you keep clothes and coats crease free if you have no hanging space? And what about things that don’t fold down like suitcases, Christmas stuff, out of season stuff? Good storage (not necessarily loads of it, just suitable storage) is key to me. I am all for paring downwind this is a good opportunity to do that an# see where you get to, but there are limits and everyone still needs basics, otherwise you’ll end up buying again lots of the things you discard.

cherrytrees123 Thu 14-Jun-18 14:48:11

There are plans for an extension to wrap around the existing house to provide and extra bedroom and ensuite. Has anyone done anything like this before? I have absolutely no idea what it would cost and the sellers dont either. The plans have been done but not costed.

Tobuyornot99 Thu 14-Jun-18 21:41:38

What's your situation OP? If you're downsizing to have a small, easily manageable and economical house it seems like insanity to build an extension to house stuff that you don't need / use.
Most people, even in large families, manage with spare towels on a bathroom shelf and a linen drawer. Don't let bits of stuff be a hurdle!

cherrytrees123 Thu 14-Jun-18 22:51:45

Well.. we are downsizing. Moved from a very large house (not owned by us) with loads and loads of stuff, even after getting rid of a lot of it a year ago -into rented. We need to buy and are looking for somewhere with enough room for adult children to come home from time to time but also space for clothes and shoes. I admit many of these need to go. I am just worried about hanging space, drawers etc. I can see the two small spare rooms filling up with stuff . One of our adult children may still be living with us, but hoping not. It's complicated. The location is lovely and the house is very nice, but there is SO much that needs to go and I'm worried I can't be that minimalist.

Jonbb Fri 15-Jun-18 01:36:59

Why not use one of the bedrooms as a dressing room with wall to wall hanging rails and some shoe storage. It doesn't cost too much for built in storage to be done, around one and a half to 2 k.

Mosaic123 Fri 15-Jun-18 07:27:47

Buy what is called an Ottoman bed. The mattress lifts to provide storage underneath.

cherrytrees123 Fri 15-Jun-18 08:14:02

Yes thought about using one of the rooms as a dressing room, it's just it needs to be able to sleep two people if guests come. I thought about having a futon that folds down, but rails would impede that.

Mosaic123 Fri 15-Jun-18 08:52:49

Rails on wheels that you could wheel out and put on a landing if it's just for a night or two?

Tobuyornot99 Fri 15-Jun-18 09:16:31

OP, bite the bullet and get it gone. 80% of it. You can buy a smaller house in a lovely location and presumably free up some money to enjoy. How much joy is a dress from 1994 that hasn't seen daylight for years bringing you? Are you ever going to read the books again? Set yourself a challenge: do one cupboard / drawer / shelf a day. Be brutal. Have a bag for the tip and a bag for charity shop (or EBay if it's worth selling). If you struggle get a friend or relation to help. If it's neither use nor ornament get rid. You seriously shouldn't put keeping stuff above ability to have relatives stay or your financial security.

ISeeTheLight Fri 15-Jun-18 09:18:13

I disagree with most PP. We bought the biggest house we could find. Storage space is key, not having the room for even a wardrobe would stop me from buying the house.

LadyPenelopeCantDance Fri 15-Jun-18 09:22:21

Highly recommend reading Marie Kondo. She has dedicated her life to tidying and decluttering and the book guides you through how to get rid of things without the guilt. I am not yet finished and have 7 bin bags full to go to the charity shop and tip.

You just need to change the amount of things you have!

cherrytrees123 Fri 15-Jun-18 10:44:50

I have read Marie Kondo - she's great! I started in our last house but became exhausted eventually by the scale of it. There is room to have built in wardrobe made, but it won't be very big. I already have three free standing rails i could use to put in spare rooms.
I do think it is probably a case of brutally chucking a LOT of stuff, it's just going to be difficult if people come to stay, but realistically that is mainly going to be at Christmas.

Jonbb Fri 15-Jun-18 18:13:03

Downsizing your 'stuff' does actually feel good!

Whattodowithaminute Sat 16-Jun-18 07:34:08

Is it worth viewing it with a carpenter to get idea on costs for building in storage? Or is there space to add a wall of pax wardrobes which hold loads.
Im sure you can trim down what you have but long term lack of adequate storage would probably make it a bad choice IMO

thecatsthecats Sat 16-Jun-18 09:38:32

There are two potential mistakes here and you could make BOTH of them!

1) Choosing your living accommodation on the basis of things you don't need, enjoy or use.
2) Physically moving and putting up with all that stuff when you don't need, enjoy or use it!

I would seriously, seriously declutter before you pick a house BASED on your clutter!

Btw - we have got a room 2.3x2.3m and it's just about doable as a v small double - small double sofa bed, clothes rail and bedside table. Not good for long term guests, but manageable for a night or two if the proper guest room is full!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: