Advanced search

Illegal boiler

(12 Posts)
MrsWhirly Wed 13-Jun-18 08:16:49

Last year my father-in-law (against my wishes) replaced our old boiler with a new one.

He’s a very experienced general builder with plumbing experience but no qualifications etc.

Does anyone know I can go about ensuring it’s safe and all the relavant checks and bodies informed please?

Thank you.

StillNoClue Wed 13-Jun-18 08:21:26

Get a registered gas plumber/boiler fitter (assuming it's gas) to come and check it out. They will do a safety check and make sure any repairs are done before they confirm it's useable.

LIZS Wed 13-Jun-18 08:22:17

You need a Gas Safe certified engineer to check it over. Many plumbers are qualified but you can get a list via the Gas Safe website. Hope it doesn't turn out to have been a false economy.

specialsubject Wed 13-Jun-18 09:25:50

also needs building regs.

your father in law commited a crime and should be reported. this is mn so you wont, but if you are having sex with the person who over rode your wishes on this, have a think.

MrsWhirly Wed 13-Jun-18 10:55:23

Thanks everyone, I’ll get on the Gas Safe website now.

Specialsubject Thanks for your advice regarding my boiler... I didn’t ask you for advice about my father-in-law, or who I am having sex with, so you can jog right on!

Ceebeegee Wed 13-Jun-18 16:34:02

I think you need to get the boiler commissioned by a gas safe registered engineer (not just "checked")
They have to fill in the boiler benchmark and register it with Gas Safe for building regs.
Having a gas check isn't quite the same , it's a proper commission and buildings regs notification that is needed.

BertyFlanter Wed 13-Jun-18 20:57:06

I manage a plumbers and we wouldn't commission someone else's work. You may struggle to find someone willing to do that unfortunately 😬
A gas safety check would put your mind at rest and inform you if any of the fit didn't meet regs, but as above it won't get you either the warranty on the boiler or the building regs certificate. Which will definitely be a problem if you come to sell.
Also should anything happen (hopefully not obviously) your fil could be sent to prison.

Kursk Wed 13-Jun-18 21:04:24

specialsubject WTF are you on??

You will be able to get a safety check but that’s about it, so you can relax in the knowledge that it’s safe. The rest is only a problem if you want to move any time soon.

Some of the pointless regulations seem like they are money making exercises, and offer little or no reassurance.

BertyFlanter Wed 13-Jun-18 21:14:46

@Kursk it will also be a problem if OP needs to use the warranty. If it hasn't been registered, depending on the manufacturer) it's unlikely to be covered.

And YY to WTF! @specialsubject

thecapitalsunited Wed 13-Jun-18 21:18:45

It's mandatory to notify the council of a boiler install but you might have trouble doing so without the commission certificate which your FIL won't be able to give you because he's not Gas Safe Registered. Most likely the only way you'll get the boiler certified is if you pay someone to remove it and reinstall. As per PP its unlikely anyone will want to sign off on someone else's work.

Kursk Wed 13-Jun-18 21:20:33


I suspect there won’t be a issue. DH services all our appliances himself and we have never had a problem.

MrsWhirly Wed 13-Jun-18 21:24:21

Thanks all. Safety is obviously my biggest concern but hopefully I can get the building regs very too - even if it means someone uninstalling and re-installing!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: