Talk

Advanced search

Buying a house with a cockerel next door

(62 Posts)
Sippingtea Sat 09-Jun-18 22:04:25

We’re in the process of buying a house and visited today to find that next door appear to have a cockerel. It crowed a few tones while we were there. I’m now feeling nervous as we love the house but I have a real issue with any kind of noise. Would I be being optimistic to convince myself it won’t be a problem? Has anyone had neighbours who keep cockerels? I know they tend to crow early in the morning but how often can we expect it during the day?

Misericord Sat 09-Jun-18 22:06:55

Entirely depends on the bird and on how soundly you sleep. I know that’s not necessarily helpful, but for example, I lived in a house years ago where the cockerel several doors over crowed SO LOUDLY at around 9am (regardless it seemed of sunrise). My in laws on the other hand have a cockerel two doors down and cannot hear it at all - and neither can I when I’m there.

Is there another neighbour who you can scope it out with?

Littletreefrog Sat 09-Jun-18 22:07:44

How do you feel about a long drawn out noise nuisance battle with your new neighbours? It wouldn't bother me but if you are noise adverse then a cockerel is not a good neighbour to have.

Singlenotsingle Sat 09-Jun-18 22:08:19

If there's only one it shouldn't be a problem. Certainly no worse than traffic noise, or aircraft noise. Have you not got double glazing in your new house?

findthegap Sat 09-Jun-18 22:10:57

If it bothers you now, wait till it crows at 4am multiple times every day in the summer. I lived on a farm and that fucking cockerel was the worst thing about it.

FrogFairy Sat 09-Jun-18 22:12:59

No. I am a light sleeper and the sound of Foghorn Leghorn letting rip as soon as the sun rises would make me murderous.

Floralnomad Sat 09-Jun-18 22:13:17

There is one local to us that crows all day fortunately we are not close enough to be affected but I can guarantee to hear it if I walk the dog in a particular direction at whatever time during daylight hours . It would drive me mental if I lived next door to it .

DontDribbleOnTheCarpet Sat 09-Jun-18 22:20:03

I've had hens that crowed and cockerels that made almost no noise at all. Depends on the bird. But if any chicken-related noise at all is going to be a problem for you then this is not the house for you.

gluteustothemaximus Sat 09-Jun-18 22:22:48

No way. Having been on holidays on/next to farms, I can say the noise of the cockerel every sodding morning would piss me off.

Sippingtea Sat 09-Jun-18 22:52:49

Thanks so much for your responses, everyone. Looks like it’s probably a no go, then.

Misericord Yes, speaking to a neighbour is a good idea. I have actually grabbed a couple of people (separately) in the street when passing by and they both said it was a quiet place to live. Odd. I’ll try to see if I can find someone to ask directly. Don’t want to get a reputation as the neurotic new neighbour but from the responses above it seems I’m not being unreasonable to be concerned about this!

Singlenotsingle Nope, no double glazing I’m afraid. Windows badly need replacing though so it’s on the list for when (if) we have a bit of extra cash.

Sigh. I did wonder why we could actually afford this house. There had to be a catch. I can’t bear to go back to the drawing board.

ElspethFlashman Sat 09-Jun-18 22:56:03

I lived in a house in a urban area and to my surprise, turned out there was a Cockerel in the neighbourhood. Fuck me, it was loud at 6am.

That said, they don't live forever, and if you can tolerate earplugs you'll be alright. Im not that familiar with their habits but that one was pretty quiet the rest of the day.

River93 Sat 09-Jun-18 22:56:35

In the grand scheme of things it’s not really a huge deal. I wouldn’t quite call it a catch, a catch, I’d say, would be something like no downstairs toilet

howcomes Sat 09-Jun-18 23:00:42

I grew up on a farm and I'd say if it's just one cockerel it shouldn't be a major problem (our farm had lots which tended to crow in competition with each other). Yes when they crow it's loud but no different/annoying than any other neighbour having dogs that bark. Also you will just used to it. I wouldn't pull out of buying a house over it. Neighbours who regularly hold all night parties would be a different thing altogether.....

Aprilshouldhavebeenmyname Sat 09-Jun-18 23:06:40

We had chickens, loud at times yet in a comforting /tranquil way.
Nowhere near as do ya fucking head in as the yappy fucking dogs that walk our st with selfish /thoughtless owner before 6am some days.
And breathe....

Timefortea99 Sat 09-Jun-18 23:19:33

I used to live in central London near a big theatre. They had a long running show with a cockerel in it which they used to store at the back of the theatre not far from my bedroom window. Every morning it started the most godawful noise. At least I knew the show would move on eventually (it was about a year!) but definitely would not buy a property near one.

Els1e Sat 09-Jun-18 23:22:35

I live next door to a home with a cockerel and he is shouty at many times during the day. But it does not bother us as we don’t mind. If noise is an issue, I would say, don’t buy the house

UghAgh Sat 09-Jun-18 23:23:48

Certainly no worse than traffic noise, or aircraft noise

I disagree, I think they are way worse. They are incredibly irritating and loud. However, the cockerel might be kept indoors until a reasonable time so it might not be too big a problem.

Personally I wouldn’t knowingly move into a house with a cockerel next door.

malfoyy Sat 09-Jun-18 23:38:46

You'd rule out a house because of a cockerel? Are you nuts?

Two of our neighbours have them and we barely even notice it.

Don't give up a good house for subra petty reason!

UghAgh Sat 09-Jun-18 23:43:17

malfoyy. Wow, you’re rude. I’m not nuts and yes I would rule out a house with a cockerel next door. One reason would Bebe amuse it might wake me every flipping morning and the other is that I wouldn’t want to live next door to the type of neighbours that think it’s ok to have a cockerel in a residential area.

TobysToblerone Sat 09-Jun-18 23:43:56

We live in a busy toad so have triple glazing AND secondary glazing in our bedroom. We can’t hear cars & lorries going past but can still hear (albeit faintly) the cockerel in the opposite side of the house in the morning!

thenightsky Sat 09-Jun-18 23:44:25

We used to have neighbours with a Cockrill. Long gardens, so he wasn't even close, but my god, the noise! He would go off like a foghorn at any time of the night if anyone on the street switched a bathroom light on for just a minute.

TobysToblerone Sat 09-Jun-18 23:45:03

Argh, auto correct but hopefully you get the idea. Wouldn’T put me off the house though to be honest

Oddbutnotodd Sun 10-Jun-18 04:16:26

Depends if the bedroom you would be sleeping in faces their house. There is a cockerel near me but I only hear it when I use the spare bedroom. It does start at 4am in the summer.

ShackUp Sun 10-Jun-18 05:10:00

This is us. It doesn't bother me but drives DH mad.

Sippingtea Sun 10-Jun-18 06:29:27

Thanks again for the replies. As I suffer from misophonia I’m guessing this isn’t the place for us. Thing is, there will be noise wherever we go, won’t there? And I’d rather this than blaring music.

Apparently the neighbours are a lovely retired couple. Very active in the community (gardening projects etc) and don’t sound like the types you’d expect to be inconsiderate but it does leave you wondering...

We can’t afford to make a mistake as moving costs are so high. So whereever we go we can expect to be there for a good few years.

Feeling low now as I thought we’d finally cracked it. Been looking for 9 months. The sale is proceeding but the survey isn’t being done until Tuesday so we really need to make our minds up quickly. There are no similar properties for sale locally (or within a few miles) and it ticks all our boxes. In many ways I’d rather not move as I’m so sensitive to noise and where we are now is so peaceful but it’s a one bed flat and we have a one year old...

We used to stay in a country cottage occasionally and there was a cockerel nearby. Never bothered us as we saw it as part of the charm but I imagine this would soon wear off...

Going to text the owner today and ask outright as she wasn’t there yesterday. Surely she will have to be reasonably honest as her reply will be in ‘writing’???

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: