Talk

Advanced search

Cost of a new composite door

(24 Posts)
Reese123 Fri 25-May-18 13:51:19

Can anyone please give me a rough estimate of how much it costs to fit in a new composite front door. I want to get a rough idea of the cost before getting estimates. Thanks

MrsBlondie Fri 25-May-18 13:53:47

Friends have just had one and we asked (as also thinking). £1650

Reese123 Fri 25-May-18 13:58:59

That's quite reasonable as I thought it was more in the £3-4K mark. Although realise this will be heavily dependent on where you live. I'm based just outside London

lalaloopyhead Fri 25-May-18 13:59:11

We got one a couple of years ago and it was around the £800-900 mark I think, part of that was for an awkward shaped arch above the door which I think made up around £300 of the bill!

We went for a fairly plain one though, with a small glazed bit.

I found the whole thing a bit mind boggling when trying to get a guide on the price as when I enquired it was very much down to the choice made....my reasoning was though that if I like A & B equally but A was £300 cheaper then I would obviously have that! It was quiet hard work....

BeyondThePage Fri 25-May-18 14:03:18

Depends on the door, the frame, the glazing, the hardware, the colour etc... Bog standard single door, no glazing, simple hardware etc should be under £1k.

Ours had a sidelight (window) leaded glazing and nice doorhandle/letterbox, with a "putty" colour door and frame £1450.

mangocoveredlamb Fri 25-May-18 17:57:17

Just outside London too, paid £1.2k to a local company for composite door and glazed side panel last year. I love it and was very pleased with it. At the time Everest etc were quoting 5/6/7/8k

LadyGlitterSparkl Fri 25-May-18 18:14:09

We paid £1700 2 years ago with 2 glazed parts at the side

Reese123 Sat 26-May-18 02:07:45

Thanks for your responses so far, anyone able to recommend any companies to me - I'm based in Croydon, Surrey if that helps.

Thanks so much

BeyondThePage Sat 26-May-18 09:02:37

Would look round the neighbourhood and ask people who have doors that you like to be honest. (mind you that is what we'd do over here in the West, don't know about you Southern lot grin)

greendale17 Sat 26-May-18 09:07:17

*Would look round the neighbourhood and ask people who have doors that you like to be honest.*

^Or how about ringing a local company that fits these doors??

NotDavidTennant Sat 26-May-18 09:24:52

You can get cheap composite doors for less than £500, but that's for the cheapest styles with no bells and whistles. If you want a really fancy one with lots of extras like glazed panels, etc it will be over £1k. That doesn't include the cost of installation, but that should only take a couple of hours tops, so shouldn't cost you much extra. Anyone quoting you £3-4K is ripping you off.

Stopthatalreadyok Sat 26-May-18 09:25:53

Ours was £1200 absolutely love it

Scootingthebreeze Sat 26-May-18 10:12:43

Look online for a company you like doors for (popular ones off the top if my head are Xtreme, Rockdor, truedoor and solidor) then on their website it will usually link you to the nearest supplier to you

mangocoveredlamb Sat 26-May-18 10:15:53

We used swift windows in Caterham, if they’ll come to you in Croydon (I expect they would if your the Surrey side) I highly recommend them!

CremeBrulee Sat 26-May-18 10:47:52

We just installed Solidoor branded front and back doors through a local company with very good reputation and high customer service feedback scores.

Prices including fitting were;

Front door £1600 (traditional Victorian style with two small windows to top)

Back door £1800 (traditional Victorian style stable door, top half glazed

Could have had a lower quality (not as thick) Solidoor for £1260.

CrazyOldBagLady Sat 26-May-18 10:53:01

I paid £600 recently for a composite door that I bought direct from a door supplier. Not sure of the exact cost of fitting as my fitters also fitted new double glazing and it was factored into that, but it took them about half a day to fit.

MissMarplesKnitting Sat 26-May-18 10:57:38

Most quotes for us were about £1200-1400.

Got one from really reputable local firm who do a 'standard' range in 5 colours and a few design choices for £950. Cheapest we could get. Two panels of glass with coloured diamonds inlaid.

It's lovely, nothing 'special' but I'm really not fussed about making a design statement!!

Schroedingerscatagain Sat 26-May-18 16:20:34

We’ve just had a quote for a doorco door, side panel and frame coloured to match for £1,600 from a company I trust

Schroedingerscatagain Sat 26-May-18 16:21:20

I should have said, cost for frame coloured to match was £400

TwoBlueFish Sat 26-May-18 20:11:30

We’ve just ordered one, cost was approx £2500 this includes side panels. The extras - non clear glass, handles, letterbox, knocker, different colours and “Italian” designer ranges all add to the cost. We’ve gone for a standard Victoria style door in a basic colour.

wovendeckchair Sat 26-May-18 20:26:16

£1500 for new frame, window panel above the door, furniture of letter box, handle, knocker and threshold. this was a solid wood composite solidor with standard colour but with fancy "prairie" glass. i was expecting about £1200 max.

To boot, he man who quoted was a total ball bag and insulted me about how untidy my home was (it is untidy but have social awareness and dont insult a potential buyer).

Curiousthinker Sat 26-May-18 22:15:07

I'm searching for composite doors myself.

Wickes do composite doors that seem reasonably priced:

www.wickes.co.uk/Products/Doors+Windows/External-Doors/Front+Back-Doors/Composite-Doors/c/1000652?q=%3Aprice-asc%3Acategory%3A1000652

ScandiNoir Sun 27-May-18 09:19:50

We had a Solidor door fitted last year...around £1700 total. We are very pleased with it. Surrey area.

ScandiNoir Sun 27-May-18 09:20:59

No side panels , but glass panels and knocker and letterbox included.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: