Talk

Advanced search

Desparate decking help needed

(16 Posts)
Kaz2200 Thu 24-May-18 15:16:39

We have a large are of decking that is about 10 years old, all the timber is solid and doesn't need replacing, however the stain is awful.

We have stained it nearly every year and nothing seems to work, 2 years ago I sanded it all down and yet it is still patchy and peeling in large areas.

I've looked online and no products get a good review we are happy to go dark to cover all the patchy areas does anyone have any recommendations of what to use.

PanannyPanoo Thu 24-May-18 15:18:43

I have emailed Wood finishes direct with a couple of queries and they have been really helpful in finding the right product. Could be worth asking them.

Kaz2200 Thu 24-May-18 15:35:18

Thanks I'll give them a try

Kaz2200 Fri 25-May-18 05:29:00

Anyone?

Fooferella Fri 25-May-18 05:50:01

If you find the answer I will be very interested.
I stripped my whole deck last autumn and stained with Cuprinol and it's already peeling. I could weep as it took days of hard graft to do it.
Would decking oil be any better in terms of wear and tear?

User5trillion Fri 25-May-18 06:03:34

We stained our old decking. Followed the advice to the letter. In a year it went patchy. I even contacted the manufacturer -no help. Basically its the product. A landscaper advised to old use oil on a deck for weather protection.

User5trillion Fri 25-May-18 06:06:19

Old=only! We have relaid the decking and will be treating annually with decking oil. Ours took 3 long days of work, 2 arguments and a babysitter, I could have cried when it started getting patchy.

Kaz2200 Fri 25-May-18 06:19:19

I'm glad I'm not the only one, an oil wouldn't work as some areas are porous and some aren't. We have recently put some new decking at a cafe we own and I was paranoid as I didn't want to ruin it, I used Screw fix no nonsense decking oil and it is fantastic but only on absorbant wood.

OohOohMrPeevly Fri 25-May-18 06:31:02

Just go darker. Don't power hose it first as it just traps in the damp which causes it to peel and also wait until the weather's been dry for a few days before you do anything as again it's the trapped moisture that makes it peel. Give it a really good brush first (if you have one of those wire decking brushes - like a sweeping brush but the bristles are wire - use that). I tip my decking stain into an old washing up bowl and apply it with a sweeping brush - I can do it in just over an hour.

User5trillion Fri 25-May-18 06:35:40

This was a few years ago but we bought cuprinol, paid for the toughest 5 year guaranteed water proof protection stuff. I was sooo annoyed I contacted customer services - never do that. They assured me it was my fault. We had taken photos and had receipts assuring them we followed thier instructions to the letter, they couldn't give a shit, they know their product is rubbish.

KAZ can you pressure wash off the non absorbent bits or sand? I wont use anything other than oil. Its a shame as I liked the dark finish the stain gave.

Kaz2200 Fri 25-May-18 07:00:52

I think I will try the wire brush technic, we sanded it all down two years ago, but couldn't get in the grooves, so they have continued to peel, I'll go take a photo

Kaz2200 Fri 25-May-18 07:08:42

So in the first picture this area is OK just needs a good clean, 2nd and 3rd ones show how bad it is

Kaz2200 Fri 25-May-18 07:09:20

So in the first picture this area is OK just needs a good clean, 2nd and 3rd ones show how bad it is.

KatyMac Fri 25-May-18 07:15:11

Would something like Sikkens work - it is expensive tho'

sweatylemon Fri 25-May-18 07:40:21

We had exactly the same.
Tried everything. After a few years we have given up, removed the decking and now have a patio instead.

Kaz2200 Fri 25-May-18 07:42:02

Have thought of redoing it but it's quite a large area.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: