Talk

Advanced search

Cheapest way of buying large appliances?

(12 Posts)
BlueAnchor Tue 24-Apr-18 20:30:37

All from one store? Negotiate a discount? Outlets and sale items? Individually from different stores sourced by price?
Which retailers? Is it worth trying small independent?

Need to replace all appliances, dishwasher, 2 ovens, hob, fridge freezer and washing machine.

Any advice and experiences appreciated.

mangocoveredlamb Tue 24-Apr-18 21:54:51

We got all ours from boots. I got about £150 worth of advantage card points which made it the cheapest place (and kept me in meal deals and shampoo for over a year!)

Notname Wed 25-Apr-18 00:36:07

We have recently bought two ovens, an induction hob, dishwasher and fridge. I did lots of online research, assuming that places like ao.com would be cheapest, but found that a local shop (a Euronics centre) was actually about 10% cheaper per item, and provided the benefit of being able to view the products in real life. They’re also a local service centre for the brand we chose (Miele) and therefore if anything goes wrong with them (hopefully not!) I’ll feel better able to get problems sorted than if buying online. We also found the staff very helpful and knowledgable. Worth checking out local shops (especially Euronics centres).

4yearsnosleep Wed 25-Apr-18 06:19:35

We have a John Lewis outlet near us that has great bargains. I think a few websites do bulk discounts

sdaisy26 Wed 25-Apr-18 06:27:54

I looked at the models I wanted then looked around to see where I could find them cheapest. As it turned out that was JL, by a significant amount (helped by Jan sales). A couple of places offered a bit of a bulk buying discount but not enough to make them cheaper than JL.

sparklepops123 Wed 25-Apr-18 06:43:28

We recently bought a new freezer from curry’s. On the day it was delivered for some random reason I checked online at the price, it was £160 cheaper !! I hadn’t even plugged it in yet. I rang them and because they have some sort of price guarantee I got the £160 refunded.so if you shop there keep a eye on the prices

wowfudge Wed 25-Apr-18 11:23:05

I found shopping around for specific models for the best prices. I got a range cooker for £400 less than I could find anywhere else - it was a cancelled order an independent retailer had bought. Places like Marks Electricals and Co-op compete on price so are worth a look. If you have access to Which? they link to the best prices on the items they've tested and recommend.

Baxdream Wed 25-Apr-18 12:21:56

We emailed appliance city and haggled!

OutThroughTheInDoor Wed 25-Apr-18 13:07:50

Our kitchen designer recommended going to Harrods, which made me laugh quite a lot. However, getting several Miele appliances turned out to be quite a lot cheaper there than anywhere else I looked at, plus you can get a rewards card and put all the points on it so that you get quite a chunk of cash back too. They were really helpful and also arranged delivery at different times.

InTheRoseGarden Wed 25-Apr-18 18:48:58

Miele outlet in Oxford might be interesting. They publish a stock list online.

BlueAnchor Wed 25-Apr-18 18:50:29

Thank you, some interesting advice. Time for the dreaded shopping!

EmmaCB1 Wed 25-Apr-18 22:31:33

I can recommend The Appliance Depot www.theappliancedepot.co.uk/

They sell ‘graded’ appliances, so ex display or slightly damaged. However, there are different grades depending on condition. So an oven could have a visible dent on the front, or one on the side which you wouldn’t see after install. I bought a Fisher and Paykel fridge freezer for £450 less than advertised in JL. It’s as new, no damage at all. The website looks a bit dodge but the customer service was brilliant.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: