Talk

Advanced search

Getting rid of carpet upstairs - new build

(11 Posts)
EmmaStone Tue 24-Apr-18 12:23:16

Well, not exactly a new build - it's about 15 years old. The original carpets have done a fantastic job, but they're looking quite worn and dirty now. In the last few years I've been a bit uncomfortable about carpets - they are never clean. I replaced any carpet downstairs (only in our living room) with reclaimed parquet flooring and I've been really pleased.

So. First of all, would I be making an enormous mistake in getting rid of the carpet upstairs? It's a massive space, so any decision would be enormously expensive to change.

Second of all, anyone know what new builds tend to have underneath their carpet (I know I could actually look, but I'm not at home)?

Finally how do runners work when you then have something different in the landing? Our landing is weirdly large, so if we went for a carpet runner, I wouldn't necessarily want the same on the landing.

At the moment we've got one carpet that does the stairs and all the bedrooms and landing upstairs (not in bathrooms), so the simplest thing would just be to replace like for like. But....

NoTNoShade Tue 24-Apr-18 12:34:26

We are having LVT throughout our house and a runner on the stairs only. It's going in next week so I can't tell you if it's a success or not yet!

Babdoc Tue 24-Apr-18 12:37:00

I hope the noise insulation is good between floors, otherwise kids crashing about upstairs with no carpet will sound thunderous across the downstairs ceilings!

EmmaStone Tue 24-Apr-18 12:46:11

Hmm, my kids are a bit older, and don't tend to crash about too much upstairs, but I could well be deluding myself as whatever crashing they do may currently be muffled...

Good luck NoTNo! What made you choose LVT?

Hoppinggreen Tue 24-Apr-18 12:49:15

We have a relatively new house and onjy have carpet on the stairs and landing
I do prefer it and it’s better for dd who has allergies and asthma but it is a bit noisy

PickAChew Tue 24-Apr-18 12:50:26

It's not just crashing. Carpet in a room muffles all sorts of background noise and just makes a room quieter and more cosy.

PigletJohn Tue 24-Apr-18 14:43:38

the existing floors are most likely chipboard. Builders like it because it's cheap, easy to fit, and doesn't usually crack or go soggy until after the housebuyer's cheque has cleared.

Advantages to the homeowner are... um... er......

prampushingdownthehighst Tue 24-Apr-18 14:59:44

Our friends took up the carpets in the bedrooms....lasted about 6 months I reckon.The noise drove them mad and that was in an old house.

MummyNessi Tue 24-Apr-18 15:30:01

We are currently renting a house with carpet upstairs and I can't stand it, it's always so dirty and who knows what lives in there... we have just bought a house with brown shaggy carpet and carpet in the bathrooms and we are definitely not having carpet anywhere! I don't think I even want it on the stairs. I just feel like you just can't clean it properly. Before this house we had tiles and parquet and it wasn't noisy.
Under the shaggy brown carpet in our 1983 house there are floor boards.
If you want cosy after you can just buy a rug that you can easily throw away when its old.

Shiftymake Tue 24-Apr-18 17:57:41

LVT is brilliant, my dm has that and it hard wearing (she has dogs), looks great and washes easy. As for potential sound issues, my grandparents added sound isolation between the floors which made a massive difference. Believe it is the same for my dms as you can't hear people walking above you when in the ground floor.

Shiftymake Tue 24-Apr-18 17:58:06

it is* hard wearing

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: