Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone sold their house successfully without putting it online?

(12 Posts)
Mindfullness Sun 22-Apr-18 13:47:12

We are looking to sell our house in the near future but really don't want to put it online for different reasons. Has anyone successfully sold this way? If so have you got any tips?
Thank you.

Needmoresleep Sun 22-Apr-18 14:35:26

I just sold an investment property without putting it on the market. It was tenanted so a bit difficult to sell. A local agent was aware it was for sale and mentioned it to interested and qualified buyers. The tenant kindly agreed to a smallish number of viewings. In total there were about 8 over perhaps 4 months. Exchange could not take place till the end of his fixed term tenancy anyway.

Worked out fine. I might have got more had it been on the open market but then I gained from not having it empty.

wowfudge Sun 22-Apr-18 15:04:12

A friend of ours sold via a postcard in the village shop - very popular village where family homes are much sought. Their onward purchase in the same village was via an EA though.

Pradaqueen Sun 22-Apr-18 18:19:48

Many estate agents offer a confidential sales service? Maybe consider that?

Mindfullness Sun 22-Apr-18 18:26:45

Thank you for your replies. Good to hear that you sold yours need more sleep! It gives me hope!
I live in a very busy town and don't want people to know we are selling so couldn't use a postcard but good idea.
I have never heard of a confidential sales service? Can you explain more please?

emsyj37 Sun 22-Apr-18 18:31:02

I think agents sometimes do a thing where they only give your house details yo buyers who specifically ask about that type of property. We were sent details by one agent for a house that was not and still is not on the market officially but they want to sell. They knew our budget and requirements and that our own house was already under offer. We didn't view it as it was too small and hugely overpriced, but it is a thing they will do if you want.

Mindfullness Sun 22-Apr-18 19:01:33

Thanks Emsy, that's what I was thinking of doing.

Pradaqueen Sun 22-Apr-18 19:04:34

The local agents here will market the property in the usual way (rightmove etc) but use a ‘confidential stock photo’ so potential buyers know the price bracket but can only access the information once they have been fully qualified by the agents. I have had divorcing friends use it to avoid effectively announcing private business to a smallish community. You can exclude any buyers who haven’t sold/house not on the market etc so if you are worried about anyone nosing you can reduce the chances. Hope that helps, good luck with your sale.

Needmoresleep Sun 22-Apr-18 22:06:53

I also managed to negotiate quite a low fee as it suited the agent to be able to tell people that my property might be on the market, without him having to incur any costs. But I was not in a hurry, did not need to sell and it was a pretty generic two bed flat in a nice location. A good buy.

Mindfullness Mon 23-Apr-18 08:28:19

Thanks Pradaqueen and Need more sleep it's helpful to know the estate agents will adapt. I just want to do it the old fashioned way!

Mindfullness Tue 24-Apr-18 18:32:49

littlemissminor Tue 24-Apr-18 18:35:38

We did - we instructed an estate agent and they had someone who they thought would be interested, they showed them the house and they offered straight away - no marketing at all.

If you go with a local agent I think they have more contacts etc!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: