Talk

Advanced search

Would love some opinions on these kitchen layouts please

(58 Posts)
bobkate Tue 20-Mar-18 21:16:29

Builders are booked in to start in 2 weeks, structural plans are all finalised so I feel I now need to get a real handle on the kitchen design/layout now as I'm not great at making decisions on the hop.
So I would really appreciate any thoughts/critiques on our plan as it stands at the moment.
Both images are the same other than the island's rotation is flipped. Not sure which way would work better.
The fridge on the island is an under counter/integrated one. Figured we may as well resuse our current one and it can be used for milk/beer, etc.
The room does extend further than the picture shows, with room for a table, sofa, etc. We do have another totally separate living room.
I was thinking that the back wall would be a bank of floor to ceiling units ( bit like the 3rd pic which I have saved from pinterest but I have a feeling it's maybe Bax's from the extension thread ) incorporating tall integrated freezer, fridge, ovens side by side and a larder/cupboard either side.
Thanks in advance. Please nit pick away - there's bound to be lots I haven't thought of/totally overlooked.

ooerrmissus Tue 20-Mar-18 21:23:57

My first thought would be that you would have a long way to walk between fridge & hob, or oven & hob. We made the mistake of putting a huge island in ours which has created a long walk between fridge & sink, but at least the cooking area is fairly compact. I think kitchen designers suggest looking at the hob, oven & fridge as a triangle and trying to get that fairly compact, to be able to work efficiently. I also wouldn't want my hob to be so close to the door as I'd worry about pans etc being knocked off.

Could you put the hob on the island? Just musing.

bobkate Tue 20-Mar-18 21:35:46

Yes - that is something my mum mentioned as a possible downside as well. The hob is currently in that place and we haven't had any pan falling off issues as yet.
I suppose one of my reasons not to put the hob on the island is that we can have a cupboard type wall unit containing the extractor above the hob which leads to an outside wall. I know you can get beautiful ceiling pendant extractors but all the lovely ones I've seen are out of our budget really.
I just thought of something else but it's gone totally out of my mind!!!

bobkate Tue 20-Mar-18 21:37:34

Oh that was it. I really want eye level ovens and 2 large single ones. At the moment we have a range and I am so looking forward to having things at eye level.

BubblesBuddy Tue 20-Mar-18 21:40:43

I would make the island longer (use first orientation picture) and incorporate a table into it, but at the other end. We have a round wooden integrated into ours. It seats 4 and has cupboards under it with curved doors. You could easily do this on the end of the island that is furthest away rom the cooker and fridge. You won’t want people sitting around near the ovens/fridge and getting in the way. You then free up that end of the island for dishing up from the oven and the hob. I also have a veg prep sink in my island and it’s between the hob on my island and the fridges. It works well. You could do this. You then keep the other sink for washing up etc.

I would therefore have the hob on the Island. It’s way too far from the hob to the ovens. You are also staring at a wall when you cook and ignoring guests who might be in the kitchen. An island hob is more convivial and if you separate it from seating, it’s safe. Have a nice wide island. At least 1200 so you can have back to back cupboards.

I would also put the fridge and the freezer side by side. I have two fridges so I do see why you want another fridge. Under counter ones don’t appeal but a wine fridge would!

BubblesBuddy Tue 20-Mar-18 21:43:00

Just to say, my island is 3400 x 1400. You can organise it efficiently, but you need a sink in the island and the hob in the island too. This avoids excessive walking.

bobkate Tue 20-Mar-18 21:59:07

Thank you bubbles
After only having an under counter fridge plus a small one out in the utility for overflow...to have a full height fridge is going to be bliss. I just thought rather than throw the other away, as it's integrated and the door can be changed, it made sense to keep it within the kitchen as more of an everyday milk/wine fridge.
I'll do another rejig/do another mock up later but hear what you are both saying with regards to the hob being too far away from the oven.
Are there any nice budget friendly ceiling extractors out there? I know there are also the down draft ones but again, have only seen ones that are £££.

bobkate Tue 20-Mar-18 22:02:14

By the way the architect stuck a sofa there - a cabinet/dresser thing may be better there.

PissedOffNeighbour Tue 20-Mar-18 22:06:20

I would go for one as well and make the island longer as you don’t have much work surface space. That’s the big disadvantage with a bank of tall units I’d you loose work surface.

bobkate Tue 20-Mar-18 22:07:53

Do you mean more like this?

Pissed off do you mean you would go for the hob on the island as well?

GuntyMcGee Tue 20-Mar-18 22:07:59

My first thoughts were lack of work surface and hob too far from fridge and oven.

A larger island with hob would be better.

Where would you sit to eat? Do you have dining space or would you need an informal seating area? How would you fit this in if you needed it?

MaggieFS Tue 20-Mar-18 22:08:59

Hob distance from everything else was my first thought too! I have a hob on an island and it's fine, if the island is big enough to make it safe. If the rooms big and airy, I wouldn't bother with an extractor hood.

I'd keep the extra under counter fridge - why not?

I prefer to have a 1.5 sink or whatever they're called with at least a small side drainer

GuntyMcGee Tue 20-Mar-18 22:09:01

Ignore my last questions! I totally missed the fact that you've got seating at the island. Doh!

bobkate Tue 20-Mar-18 22:10:06

Or in this position?

bobkate Tue 20-Mar-18 22:14:37

Thanks - yes we currently have a 1.5 sink so would definitely have the same again. The room continues further down ( I just cut that bit off the photo ) so we will have room for a dining room table as well as a sofa area. The island seating will be mainly used for breakfast /kids dinner if they're eating on their own type of scenario. That's how I imagine it anyway. And for loitering around if I have friends over.
I'm sure I saw somewhere that you had to have an extractor of some sort but I can double check that.

MaggieFS Tue 20-Mar-18 22:17:35

The bigger island is definitely better if you have space for it as you don't have a lot of surface without it. IMHO it's better with the hob on the island, can't decide between it being on the end of the side, of your two options!

notthesortofmummyyouhopedfor Tue 20-Mar-18 22:19:54

Only other thing I would consider was the fact that your ovens are next to your fridge and freezer so may affect the temperatures of them. Can you having something in between the cabinets to help this? We have a wall of units which are great. The oven is central and then we have a slim pull out unit either side of the oven/s and then the fridge and freezer either side of these.

MrsMoastyToasty Tue 20-Mar-18 22:22:36

Where will you store saucepans, crockery, cutlery, glassware, cleaning equipment? Will you have a washing machine in the kitchen?

adayatthebeach Tue 20-Mar-18 22:26:50

I wouldn’t put the oven between the freezer and fridge.

Prestonsflowers Tue 20-Mar-18 22:27:00

If you intend to use the wood burner in the chimney breast it’s probably best to have seating in the island as far away as possible.
You might like to have a look at this website
www.houzz.co.uk
There are some very lovely and helpful people on it, who, if you post your plans may be able to give you some great ideas.
Wishing you all the best with your plans. It’s a great size room to work with.

notthesortofmummyyouhopedfor Tue 20-Mar-18 22:28:54

Just seen the wood burner is also in your kitchen area. Can that be moved to the other end where your table and seating are? You may find your kitchen is unbearably hot when the oven is on as well and colder in the area where everyone is sitting!

BubblesBuddy Tue 20-Mar-18 22:32:24

I have a double sink and the drainer is in one sink if I need it. I haven’t found much use for half sinks. Too small!

I would put a veg prep sink where the hob is in your latest version. I would have the hob on the long side. I think I’d ditch the settee against the wall too. You now have seating backing into it. I would keep the seating to one end of the island and I’m not sure the right angle works.

bobkate Tue 20-Mar-18 22:39:48

Ooh so many lovely comments - thank you so much!
Hadn't considered the fridge/freezer next to oven thing. I was thinking of the symmetry of everything! Perhaps the cupboards/larders could swap places with the fridge and freezer.
The washing machine will be moved to the utility room. Cleaning stuff will be in the cupboard under the sink and utility room. I was planning of lovely big pan drawers for cutlery/crockery/saucepans. Glasses and mugs would in wall units above where I originally had the hob.
The wood burner won't be moved until we finish everything else. If we have money left over ( highly unlikely!! ) it would be moved to the rear of the space which is the part I cut off from the photo.
Had a quick amendment to the mock up.
General consensus then is hob on the island! Roger that!
I will have a look on Houzz - thank you * Prestons*

bobkate Tue 20-Mar-18 22:44:08

bubbles I love all these different perspectives...I love my 1.5 sink!! I use our dishwasher mostly - don't really do much washing up blush

bobkate Tue 20-Mar-18 22:47:52

One with the bank of units swapped round.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: