Advanced search

Landlords, estate agents come talk to me please

(8 Posts)
brewsandbooks Tue 13-Mar-18 21:41:03

Can't believe I'm posting about this house again it's been a nightmare,

Basically we moved into our current house PR on a 6 Months contract completed that and have extended for another 12 months.

That was 6 months ago so technically we have 6 months left in tenancy, but the house has been one danger to another and we have now found another house much better for us!

I have emailed our estate agents to say will be handing in our notice and they have replied saying we are in a legal binding contract for another 6 months and have to stay.

But in our contract it says that after our 6 months agreement we can end our tenancy as soon as we give two months written notice ....

So I'm unsure what rights we have ? Are we stuck here ? I can post a picture of the clause if that will help ?

wowfudge Tue 13-Mar-18 21:42:47

Yes, please post the exact wording.

GU24Mum Tue 13-Mar-18 21:48:52

..... and the page with the contract term start date so we can have a look at that too.

brewsandbooks Tue 13-Mar-18 21:54:40

Just under the headed mutual break clause is the paragraph

Fraying Tue 13-Mar-18 21:56:59

Are you posting the original 6 month contract? Or the most recent 12 month contract? Extensions don't always have the same terms.

brewsandbooks Tue 13-Mar-18 21:57:16

Clearer image

brewsandbooks Tue 13-Mar-18 21:58:26

This is my initial but they are both the same apart the dates of tenancy we just have the newest one in the safe box but it is the same terms

Fraying Tue 13-Mar-18 22:48:21

You need to wait six months after an extension then you can give two month's notice.
It depends if the extension contract is worded as two 6-months extensions running subsequently or one 12-month extension. If it's the former, they're right. If it's the latter, you're right.
You need to take both contracts to CAB or a solicitor, and ask their advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now