Advanced search

Starting extension - what do I need to know?

(13 Posts)
BuildMeUpDandelion Tue 13-Mar-18 21:00:16

About to embark on major building works. Plans are all done, builder has been chosen and a quote agreed. What do I need to do next? I don't get the feeling the builder will do a formal contract, is that normal? Should I expect at least a payment schedule and schedule of works? I think I need to ask for a copy of his insurance, is that right? Do I need my own insurance? Anything else?

There's loads on the internet about how to do an extension in terms of planning permission and stuff but not much anout the nitty gritty of the process.

Clayhead Tue 13-Mar-18 21:16:23

We had a contract which we both signed and had copies of - it was a standard Federation of Master Builders one which was amended to suit.

We had a spreadsheet showing the schedule of works and payment dates and only had to pay if that stage of the build was reached.

Clayhead Tue 13-Mar-18 21:17:01

Oh yes, we did have to call our insurers and inform them.

namechangedtoday15 Tue 13-Mar-18 21:19:56

What did the quote detail? Is it comprehensive (ie quite a few pages long) or a couple of sides? Did he come recommended? Do you need to serve a party wall notice (If you do, you have to do that 2 months before you start).

You definitely need a detailed quote before you start and a schedule of payments - it should be on completion of various works rather than based on time. I had a meeting with him at the house, went through it line by line, details such as who would be here, how often id be here, what hours they'd work, what we needed to clear before they could start.

You need to know what (if anything) you'll be supplying and when you need to supply it (so for instance our quote included basic panel radiators and I wanted fancy column radiators so builder said I would need to supply in week X and he'd reduce price to reflect I was supplying radiators). Then he gave me dates for when he needed floor / bathrooms / kitchen. Gave me rough date of when I'd be losing kitchen etc, agreed my priorities (i.e. couldn't lose use of washing machine!).

Then de-clutter!

BuildMeUpDandelion Tue 13-Mar-18 21:46:34

The quote is very top-level. I guess because he wants to hide his margins. He was recommended by the architect but isn't a member of the FMB, very few round here seem to be and those that are don't want a project this small. I guess I need to go back to him.

@ClayHead did your insurer charge you more or say you had to have any additional cover?

didireallysaythat Tue 13-Mar-18 21:48:15

Your insurer will want details of his insurance policy.

Clayhead Tue 13-Mar-18 22:00:09

No more money, we weren't covered for certain things for the duration. They never asked for his insurance.

Humptynumpty02 Tue 13-Mar-18 22:15:10

I wouldn't go near anyone without a legally binding contract in place, for the sums of money involved and the significance of the project. I got 3 quotes, all 3 produced very detailed quotes, our final contract is almost 40 pages long.

Humptynumpty02 Tue 13-Mar-18 22:17:49

Other things to consider, will you need to submit a full building control application or simply a notice? Will you use the local authority bulling control team or use a private company? Do you need a build over sewer agreement with your local water board. Party wall has been touched on, but is important as it can hold up work frustratingly. Where are you going to put your skip, how's access to your house for deliveries etc.

delilahbucket Tue 13-Mar-18 22:24:36

We're at a similar stage as you. We have a payment schedule and works schedule from our builder. We have been in touch with the council about building regs and their fee is paid with them awaiting our phone call to do their first site visit.

5plusMeAndHim Tue 13-Mar-18 22:30:43

Never signed a contract for an extension and we have had a few over the years.I think someone has to tell building regs you are starting work.Also party wall if you are digging anywhere near the boundary and neighbours house.

PissedOffNeighbour Tue 13-Mar-18 23:12:07

We didn’t have a contract either just a quote which he stuck to.

We neatly got caught out by needing to move the gas meter which was in the old extension being knocked down. In the end I had to cry ( blush ) on the phone to Wales and West to get them to come and move it before the build was due to start.

BuildMeUpDandelion Wed 14-Mar-18 07:17:18

Thanks for the ideas, there's some really good stuff I need to check. No party wall issues but I need to get on to the architect about building regs. I will push for a contract too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now