Talk

Advanced search

Help! Bathroom Installation gone badly wrong - what can I do?

(8 Posts)
Uptoapoint Tue 13-Mar-18 16:45:28

We had a bathroom designed at a local bathroom showroom. We've nearly finished having the bathroom installed only to find that the bathroom layout doesn't work. We were told there was room to have a toilet and bidet side by side and there isn't. They've been installed but there is no room to use the bidet at all. I've checked the recommended minimum space needed for both things and we are a good 30cm short of that! The installers are self employed but work from the showroom and wear sweatshirts with the showroom's logo. The designer and the installer are coming tomorrow to look at the problem which somehow they are trying to blame on us. I have no idea what to do or whether I have any redress. I know it's a first world problem but .....

GeorgeTheHippo Tue 13-Mar-18 16:51:13

So they're going to have to take out the bidet and make good the tiling and flooring?

wowfudge Tue 13-Mar-18 18:21:49

When the designer and installer come they need to 1. Check their measurements were correct; and 2. Check the guys doing the work have put everything where it should go. You need to check the paperwork and see what it states in terms of checking the design and liability in respect of any issues.

DOLLYDAYDREAMER Tue 13-Mar-18 20:42:15

Do have plans from the designer. Are they correct, size of room etc. has the installer followed them. If the plans are wrong or the layout doesnt work then the designer is at fault. if the plan is ok but the installer has not followed it then he is at fault..So one of them will be liable to put it right to your satisfaction. Are you paying the showroom for all the work or paying the installers direct.However, the showroom should still be lialble as the installer would be working under their direction. you are within your rights to withold some money until they sort it out.

dontdillydallytoolong Tue 13-Mar-18 20:46:50

I'm just amazed that anyone has a bidet fitted in this day and age, I thought they were a thing of the past like avocado bathroom suites? I would definitely take out the bidet and have a roomy bathroom.

MessySurfaces Tue 13-Mar-18 23:23:29

Some of us like extra clean bottoms @dontdillydallytoolong!
@Uptoapoint , if you end up bidet-less could you get a little douche fitted by the loo? Better than nothing? Or one of those crazy Japanese robo-loos...

Uptoapoint Wed 14-Mar-18 13:43:32

Thanks for all your very helpful suggestions. We just had the designer here who is going to try and reconfigure things and liaise with the installer. And we have a tiny grudging acknowledgement that there was a communication failure between the two of them. The thing about bidets @dontdillydallytoolong is that they aren't a fashion thing (although I understand that avocado bathrooms are quite a thing in Hoxton currently)and they aren't just about bottoms. Handy for washing babies and toddlers and feet and rinsing out tights while you're in the bath! And anyway I just want one (stamps feet).

DarthArts Thu 29-Mar-18 03:41:08

@Uptoapoint

I've PM'd you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: