Advanced search

New build snagging survey or proper survey needed?

(3 Posts)
Yankee50 Tue 13-Mar-18 15:51:02

Hi, just had offer accepted on a new build (it's only one of 2 houses built in small village by local builder, not a big estate / development company). I have a great builder friend willing to do a snagging survey in return for a few bottles of wine. Should we also get a proper survey done or is that not necessary with a new build with a 10 year structural warranty on it? And t what point do we do the snagging survey - before or after exchange of contracts? Never bought a new build before so any advice is welcome! Thank you :-)

KitKat1985 Tue 13-Mar-18 16:04:52

Personally I wouldn't have thought a 'proper' survey was needed if it's a new build covered by a 10 year NHBC warranty.

I'd personally think a snagging survey would be best done before exchange of contracts, as I would have thought the developer would be far more motivated to fix any snags then in order to get the sale completed.

Yankee50 Tue 13-Mar-18 16:40:03

Thanks KitKat, that's what I thought - hopefully he will be amenable to letting our builder in straight away.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now