Advanced search

Space saving wc

(36 Posts)
PLFDiDi Tue 13-Mar-18 13:30:40

Very short on space. Does anyone have one? What are your thoughts? I have found them uncomfortable to sit on, a weird shape that can be awkward to clean and OH doesn't want to be cleaning up skid marks every morning. Any good models/makes to check out? Thanks for your help! Also decent corner sink referrals welcome 😁

Alwayscheerful Tue 13-Mar-18 16:45:14

I have Duravit wall hung toilets, space is no issue in the main bathroom, I chose a wall hung Duravit comfort which is slightly larger than standard smile. Our ensuite is a strange shape, I chose a compact version - same width, just shorter projection. the compact version is fine, I decided to order another one for the ground floor shower room, more floor space will make the room look bigger.

PLFDiDi Tue 13-Mar-18 21:36:26

Thanks, just looked it up but we can't fit a tank in. I'm looking at the 600mm toilets. Good for sinks though! Ta

Geneticsbunny Wed 14-Mar-18 19:57:56

Try looking at high cisterns. You can put the pan closer to the wall without having to build a weird fake wall thing

minipie Wed 14-Mar-18 23:42:44

We have the Villeroy & Boch Subway 2.0 compact version. It's really short projection but still looks and feels like a normal loo iyswim rather than those titchy round "space saver" ones.

PigletJohn Wed 14-Mar-18 23:54:11

"we can't fit a tank in."

What do you mean by a tank?

Please post photos of your current WC. Please show the soil pipe.

PLFDiDi Fri 16-Mar-18 13:07:17

The room is 1.11m by 0.8m, the wall hung wc's are 0.6m usually (same as space saver wc) plus tank/plumbing to remote tank. We only have Max 0.65m for wc all in.

PLFDiDi Fri 16-Mar-18 13:12:39

Cistern tank!

minipie Fri 16-Mar-18 16:49:19

Just measured and the V&B loo I mentioned above is 47cm. It's wall hung so you do need a wall hung frame with inbuilt cistern but these start from 8cm (see Geberit Duofix frames) so it should be doable.

minipie Fri 16-Mar-18 16:51:40

mine is 70cm all in but we needed to use a wall hung frame that was short and narrow and deep because of window above and walls each side. If you can have a taller and/or wider frame then you can have one of the shallower frames (8cm or 12cm or 15cm) which would come in below 60cm with my 47cm loo.

PigletJohn Fri 16-Mar-18 23:58:49

I don't see how having a cistern that is hidden behind a panel takes up less room than a cistern that is not behind a panel.

minipie Sat 17-Mar-18 00:20:29

Because the cisterns that come within a wall hung frame are often made especially shallow (tall and wide but shallow) whereas ordinary cisterns are deeper.

Watto1 Sat 17-Mar-18 00:25:00

What about this?

Bluesheep8 Sat 17-Mar-18 07:55:58

You need to look specifically for one which is described as short projection. Victorian plumbing will have some.

PLFDiDi Sat 17-Mar-18 09:59:25

But are the short projection ones any cop? That was the original question! Interesting that the wall hung ones might fit, I've not seen small ones on sale anywhere (yet) and no showroom has suggested it, let's look up the one mentioned above.xx

SwedishEdith Sat 17-Mar-18 11:56:43

We've got a Homebase short projection one which I wouldn't recommend. Ineffective flus, iykwim.

I'm watching this for a replacement.

TefalTester123 Sat 17-Mar-18 12:08:38

We have V&B O novo 61cm floor standing close coupled (I don't like the back to wall as less choice of toilet seats). It is fine. I have the deeper version in another bathroom and don't notice the difference. The deeper toilet actually uses the same toilet seat.

PLFDiDi Sat 17-Mar-18 18:46:51

The spec says v&b Novo is 655mm but in real life much smaller hey? Thanks for your input- it's what I needed xx

PigletJohn Sat 17-Mar-18 18:58:50

modern water-saving WCs often have tiny cisterns and poor flush. If they still have a syphon in them, one thing that can help is to fit a Flapper Valve instead, which gives a faster and more forceful flush.

It is often possible to adjust the fill valve to increase the depth of water in the cistern and hence the volume of flush. This might reduce the water-saving properties of the design, unless you only need to flush it once, effectively, instead of multiple times, ineffectively.

PigletJohn Sat 17-Mar-18 19:01:43

but some makers are, I always suspect, less expert at designing good pans. I keep thinking that a big UK maker like Twyfords should make more dependable products than an unbranded import sold by a DIY shed. However I have no statistics to support this opinion.

bobstersmum Sat 17-Mar-18 19:04:11

We have a tiny understairs cupboard that we turned into a toilet the only way we could fit it in was to have a combination unit where the sink is on the top of the toilet tank! It's fantastic. I would add a pic but can't seem to do it on the talk app!

Duckeggbluetin Sat 17-Mar-18 21:38:35

@bobstersmum May I be so bold as to ask the dimensions of your wc room? I have a smaller-than-average understairs cupboard but would love a second loo..

bobstersmum Sat 17-Mar-18 21:48:21

I will measure up tomorrow!

Duckeggbluetin Sat 17-Mar-18 23:06:34

grin flowers

PigletJohn Sat 17-Mar-18 23:20:43

I have one 900mm x 1200mm

So small that the door must open outwards, but that makes the space adequate. It would be difficult to make a smaller room work.

it has room for a (very) small "cloakroom" handbasin in the corner away from the door

and shelves above the cistern

Such rooms really do need an effective extractor fan, ducted to the outside. Fortunately the current generation, with ball-bearing motors, are truly whisper-quiet and are not likely to wear out and get noisy like older cheap fans.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now