Talk

Advanced search

1 property 2 real estate agencies

(8 Posts)
User541247 Tue 13-Mar-18 05:53:06

The property I would like to rent is advertised in zoopla by two different real estate agencies. Which one should I contact? How can I understand the one is more effective on landlord?

YimminiYoudar Tue 13-Mar-18 05:59:49

It won't matter. If two agencies are advertising then the landlord is just paying for the adverts, not for a management service.

I would be slightly wary as advertising with two agencies suggests that it is difficult to find tenants for, which suggests there might be big problems with living there.

User541247 Tue 13-Mar-18 06:18:53

The first agency I contacted for this property is not taking quick actions, I asked him a couple of questions about the flat 4 days ago, he's not replied me back yet. I did not sign any exclusivity agreement with this agency. If I contact with the second guy now, would it seem weird or unethical?

YimminiYoudar Tue 13-Mar-18 06:28:07

No that wouldn't be weird or unethical. Go right ahead.

User541247 Tue 13-Mar-18 08:26:24

Thank you YimminiYoudar . Another question I have is about the rental prices. We are moving from another country in which the advertised prices on the rental websites are not negotiable. How are the things in the UK? May I bargain with the landlord/agency about the price?

GU24Mum Tue 13-Mar-18 08:34:45

You can make an offer ie the price isn't fixed. If you are now dealing with the second agent, you should let them know that you tried to make contact with agent 1 - it's not an issue for you but the second agent may lose the fees and would probaby rather be able to negotiate behind the scenes with the first agent than get a nasty surprise at the end!

YimminiYoudar Tue 13-Mar-18 09:02:24

It's going to completely depend on area. If the landlord knows that they will get a tenant at the asking price they will turn down any lower offer but there is no harm in asking. Particularly with the landlord advertising with two agents which suggests that they aren't confident about finding a tenant.

TheLionQueen1 Tue 13-Mar-18 09:12:42

This happened with the property we are currently in, my husband saw it with one company in the morning and unknowingly I had booked a viewing with another in the afternoon. We went with the second agency as had both seen it through them and cheaper fees, but the first agency were awful as a result. They kept calling the landlord and sent a letter threatening legal action as they believed there were entitled to introduction fees as had shown us the house, the amount was crazy something like 4 times the annual rent. Nothing ever came of it but it caused a huge amount of problems for us and landlord and didn't put us on the best start with the landlord as looked like we had been sneaky, fortunately they were really understanding.

If you have seen the property with the first then I would continue with them, if they haven't even responded then contact the others agency IMO. Worth checking who has the cheaper fees for you out of the two as well.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: