Talk

Advanced search

Argh stressful night ahead...

(19 Posts)
Buglife Mon 12-Mar-18 18:42:45

Just a panicky whinge really... our house has only been on market for 3 weeks but we have had a provisional offer accepted on our dream house (not off the market until we have sold) so want to sell quickly. We just got an offer this morning for £260,000 (we are on for £285,000) so we rejected it as we really would like £275,000. They then offered £270,000 this evening so DH spoke to the agent and said that we want £275,000. Now we’ve heard nothing and I assume that means we won’t hear until tomorrow. I’m worried we sound really unmovable whereas we want to sell and honestly we could take £272,000 and be fine... maybe we sounded too rigid and should have said we would like a bit closer to £275,000 as I’m now worried they don’t have the money and will just say no! I guess we can say on reflection we’ll take £270,000.

I’m just annoyed now as we could have accepted offer and also let our buyer know we can now proceed with the sale tonight and wouldn’t have to wait! Argh. We just didn’t want to accept such a lower offer when we’ve only just come on the market. It’s so hard to know what to do!

wowfudge Mon 12-Mar-18 18:57:18

A good EA would have discussed it with you and gauged if there was any room for manoeuvre. I doubt you have lost them, but if they come back and say they can't go to £275k you can always ask can they meet you in the middle? Say you done your sums overnight and realise you have a bit more leeway than you thought. If they haven't gone back to the agent by early afternoon then you need to think what your strategy is for that eventuality.

Buglife Mon 12-Mar-18 19:06:19

Yes, we have no shame in backtracking a bit as we really want to move and on reflection do we want to lose our dream house for the sake of £5000. The worry is they won’t up by a grand or so but will just give up. The EA can always call them to let them know we’ve considered the offer again can’t they.

This is a very desirable area and we’ve barely been on the market really, and had 16 viewings in 3 weeks so on one hand it seems silly to jump at the first low offer, but I think we need to accept that our priority is getting the house we want as soon as possible and not about sitting and waiting and getting the most money we can.

If we get the dream house then we aren’t going to move until we are old and the kids have left home!!

Buglife Mon 12-Mar-18 19:09:24

I didn’t speak to EA so can’t really tell what her tone was, DH is also now feeling he should have said we were a bit more open to under £275,000... however he insists EA didn’t say it was their best and final offer anyway. She said she was going straight back to them but they presumably have taken the night to think on it. I won’t sleep easily!

KitKat1985 Mon 12-Mar-18 19:22:06

I wouldn't panic. Wait to see what happens tomorrow. If you don't hear back with an upped offer by lunchtime phone your EA and say that you and your DH have been talking overnight and would like them to contact the buyer and say you will agree to £270k on the basis that they are able to proceed immediately. I'm sure the buyers would be delighted.

wowfudge Mon 12-Mar-18 19:22:44

The whole bloody process is stressful! You always have the option of saying you'll (grudgingly) accept their offer because you don't want to lose the house you are buying. If you do then make the point that you cannot go lower for the same reason.

sausagedogsmakechipolatas Tue 13-Mar-18 03:39:14

See what they come back with - if they really want your house they may well find the extra 5k; if they can’t or won’t stretch that far you could meet them halfway at 272.5k (assuming they are proceedable with AIP in place and their own house sold if not FTB.)

mum2015 Tue 13-Mar-18 08:20:17

Good luck OP

Buglife Tue 13-Mar-18 11:06:25

So they really won’t go to £275,000. They have another house they like which is more expensive but is newly renovated whereas while they prefer ours they would be looking to put in a new bathroom and new flooring upstairs etc. So I’ve basically said we would be happy to throw in the rangemaster cooker (which was officially up for separate negotiation) if they will settle for £272,000. I’m worried now I know that have another option though! Maybe we should have said £270,000 is fine. Now I’m at this point I really don’t want to go back to viewings etc, it’s only been 3 weeks but it’s felt like an eternity. If they still say no I’ll probably beg them to buy it for £270,000 grin

Buglife Tue 13-Mar-18 11:07:58

They are FTB with approved mortgage so great for us. Our vendor is downsizing and hasn’t found anywhere yet though so it might not go very fast from here.

wowfudge Tue 13-Mar-18 12:07:04

The other house is a tactic (we did this!). I bet they'll come back at £272k + cooker or £270k without.

Buglife Tue 13-Mar-18 12:09:45

I’m not cut out for this shit really 😂 when we bought this house we were FTB and renting and this house had been rented for a year and was already empty. We made the offer walking down the street after viewing and it was accepted two hours later. Then we moved 3 months later. So easy! At least I know this is the last time until I’m old (currently 23 weeks pregnant with DC2 but that’s another issue...)

Buglife Tue 13-Mar-18 12:11:43

I’m not working so I’m sat here stressing out while they obviously have jobs and so probably aren’t going to come back to us until they get home and discuss. Or I hope they are having some serious phone conversations in their lunch breaks smile

wowfudge Tue 13-Mar-18 12:34:36

They'll discuss at lunchtime OP. Go and do something else and take your mind off it.

Buglife Tue 13-Mar-18 16:29:51

No calls yet. Pretty fucked off. Starting to text rant at DH. If this drags on until tomorrow I’ll be livid. Wish I’d just taken the £270,000z

Susimoo Tue 13-Mar-18 19:10:37

I hope you get the house! Fingers crossed your offer gets accepted.

Buglife Tue 13-Mar-18 19:11:50

SO I left two messages for the estate agent to call me back. Nothing. They are now closed. So from 10am I’ve had no contact and now won’t until tomorrow. Is this even vaguely normal?! I’m baffled that they buyers would not call the estate agent at all to even discuss what they felt about the offer, but also they the agent would ignore two messages to call their client who is in the middle of negotiating a sale. I am really really stressed and upset now.

twomonkeys2 Tue 13-Mar-18 19:22:40

That sounds like very poor service from the estate agent. Still, nothing you can do. These things take time and I would try and hold your nerve - the potential buyers will be discussing it and you really can't influence them that much. Sit tight and try them again in the morning. Could you 'pop' in to their office to discuss and get a real feel for what is going on?Remember they are working for you and they should really want the deal. To an estate agent a couple of thousand is nothing when calculated into commission, so the deal is everything. You want a strong, considered deal though, not a flimsy one, so let them make the decision in good time and then you're more likely to get a deal that sticks. Good luck! brew cake

Susimoo Wed 14-Mar-18 18:04:38

I'm hoping no news is good news! 🤞🏻

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: