Talk

Advanced search

Fridge/freezer

(4 Posts)
Diplobrat Mon 12-Mar-18 13:59:13

Hi all,

I moved in to my new flat just before the recent cold snap, and am having some issues with the fridge/freezer I inherited from the previous owners (a built in Lamona unit). The fridge section is freezing everything and even the freezer seems much too cold. I have had the temperature dial at minimum (i.e. the warmest it goes according to the instructions I found online) for a couple of weeks but the problem doesn't seem to be improving. The seals on the fridge and freezer look OK, and I can feel that the doors are firmly "suctioned" on when I gently pull on them. Is there anything else I can try before arranging a service from the manufacturer?

I wondered about leaving the whole thing to defrost for a couple of days before restarting?

JoJoSM2 Mon 12-Mar-18 14:37:55

I don’t know that brand or how old the fridge. There could be a broken component (like a thermostat or whatever fridges have) or it could just be a bit of rubbish? We inherited awful fridge and freezer when we got our house and they were one of the first things to replace. The temperature is now what it’s meant to be and the food doesn’t go off after two days. In fact, the new fridge seems to magically keep it fresh for a week after the B.B. date.

Diplobrat Mon 12-Mar-18 14:43:33

There's a good chance it's just a rubbish fridge! I have no idea how old it is (although not noticeably elderly - it's built in to a fairly new kitchen).

If it's the only thing to go wrong in the new place (fingers crossed!) I'll live smile

Mosaic123 Tue 13-Mar-18 08:52:32

Definitely start by turning it off for a day or two. Put towels on the floor to catch water.

I did this with my 'frost free' freezer which wouldn't get down to the right temp. It made it work perfectly again.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: