Talk

Advanced search

Shower won't switch off - calling PigletJohn

(17 Posts)
MikeUniformMike Sun 11-Mar-18 19:51:42

The shower is pouring water, even though I switched it off and switched the power off.
I have turned the water off at the stopcock so it's not running now.
Is it something I can fix myself or do I need to get a new shower or call a plumber to repair it?
It might be a coincidence but I had a new central heating boiler fitted yesterday but I think it was dripping before.
The shower is a Triton T80si.

MikeUniformMike Sun 11-Mar-18 20:13:47

Sorry, just realised that I failed to say please.
Also, would it be better to replace the shower and is it something I could do myself?
Thanks in advance.
MUM

PigletJohn Sun 11-Mar-18 21:59:26

is it an electric one or a mixer?

bar or round?

photo would be good.

Is it leaking from the box or the spray head?

PigletJohn Sun 11-Mar-18 22:05:14

oops, a Triton T80si. so electric

Not worth repairing.

Get a plumber of a qualified electrician to fit a new one.

Look out for a service valve which with a bit of luck will be fitted in the supply pipe to the shower (and if not, certainly get one)

It probably looks like this
www.screwfix.com/p/isolating-valve-15mm-10-pack/32802
less than a pound each, and it shows. Sometimes they leak for no reason.
but fit one of these which are much much better.
www.screwfix.com/p/pegler-tee-ball-valve-blue-15mm/21860
and you can turn with your fingers

MikeUniformMike Mon 12-Mar-18 19:53:17

PigletJohn. Thank you for your reply.
The shower isn't AFAIK leaking, it's just behaving like a tap left running. Water is coming out through the showerhead but not anywhere else.
I think it might be the pressure control valve, which would be less than £10 to replace.
Does that sound likely?
I don't wish to spend £££ unless I have to. I haven't got £££, I've just had a new boiler fitted.

MikeUniformMike Mon 12-Mar-18 19:57:50

I couldn't find a tap to switch off the water supply to the shower. Might there be a valve? Sorry for being a bit thick, but if there is a valve how do I switch off the water supply to the shower?
At the moment, I am making do with turning the main stopcock off other than when I have to.

PigletJohn Mon 12-Mar-18 20:26:49

If there is a valve in the supply pipe, it is most likely like my first link, and you use a medium flat screwdriver to turn the screwhead so it lies across the direction of the pipe. It only needs a quarter turn between on and off.

MikeUniformMike Mon 12-Mar-18 20:57:13

Thanks, I will look.
The shower is over a bath so it might be behind the bath panel.
After I posted, I came across this:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B1Tg7XXKtE
What do you think?
Thanks again.

PigletJohn Mon 12-Mar-18 21:23:02

I would expect the PRV to squirt out of the bottom of the shower box, not from the hose or head.

MikeUniformMike Mon 12-Mar-18 22:13:21

OK. I asked for your opinion and you are saying Buy a new shower and get it properly installed.
From my 'research' I'd guess that it's the solenoid valve or the pressure control valve but I'm not sure I'd be up to replacing them.

Any suggestions as to what I would replace it with, please? The one I have has been ok until now and is about 15 yrs old.

MikeUniformMike Mon 12-Mar-18 22:43:49

I looked up the solenoid valve assembly (££) and I think you are right. Thank you PigletJohn.

PigletJohn Tue 13-Mar-18 00:18:47

15 years is a good lifetime for an electric shower.

It is usually simplest to swap for a similar model from the same maker. With luck the pipes and fixing screws will be in the same positions. The maker probably has a help desk that will be familiar with the question.

Assume the same power as your old one. A competent electrician can assess the capacity of your existing cable to see what load it can safely carry. The cross-section is the first aspect, but the route may affect the cable capacity.

PigletJohn Tue 13-Mar-18 00:22:29

found a sample price on here, it is a pumped shower so more expensive than most.

MikeUniformMike Tue 13-Mar-18 06:41:52

Wow. Thanks for the reply PigletJohn. Should I order it and find a plumber to do it asap?
How much, roughly, would the electrician cost? (Callout charge+hourly rate x time to fit in hours?

MikeUniformMike Tue 13-Mar-18 06:45:08

Electrician not plumber.

PigletJohn Tue 13-Mar-18 09:44:58

If it is a straight swap I think it would be expensive if she charged more than £100. Use someone local who will not charge lots of travel time. Some may have a minimum charge in the region of £60.

You can look up electricians who are members of a Competent Persons scheme on such organisations as NICEIC

Look for one local to you who has been in business for some years and is not just a Domestic Installer (this is the lowest grade)

Also, it just occurred to me, since your shower is unusually expensive, it might be worth asking the makers if they offer a repair or replacement service. Only worthwhile if it has a good guarantee. Ordinary electric showers are cheap enough to be a throw-away item.

MikeUniformMike Tue 13-Mar-18 18:55:08

Thanks, PigletJohn. I have contacted several sparkies and the ones who replied say it's a plumber's job. I can get the same model for about £90 and it will be about £75 for the plumber. Thanks for answering.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: