Talk

Advanced search

Kitchen splashback - are tiles a nightmare to clean?

(18 Posts)
JessieMcJessie Sun 11-Mar-18 12:21:10

Our new kitchen is going to have a really cool patterned floor so I want to keep the walls as plain as possible and was thinking of white metro tiles with white grout. They’d go right up to the underside of the extractor hood. Units will be shaker style (dark blue) so am not so keen on glossy glass or Perspex splashbacks.

Would I be creating a nightmare for myself with grout that will be impossible to keep clean? Anyone have any clever ideas?

this is the sort of thing I have in mind.

wowfudge Sun 11-Mar-18 12:56:05

It's not the tiles so much as the grout which can be difficult to keep clean. Grout is slightly rough so grease from cooking sticks to it and yellows. So you either have to clean it regularly with something that dissolves grease, live with it or maybe use a different coloured grout instead.

Spicylolly Sun 11-Mar-18 13:57:23

Yes it's the grout that will stain over time, I have dark purple metro bricks with a black grout. Never had a problem with it looking clean. I also have grey grout with the white tiles in the bathroom and the grout looks brand new 5 yrs on 👍🏻

JessieMcJessie Sun 11-Mar-18 14:24:21

Thanks. We can’t use darker grout as that will create a pattern and we can’t have any pattern on the wall because the floor is going to be very busy.

Crumbelina Sun 11-Mar-18 15:21:18

I had white metro tiles in the kitchen of my last house and they hardly ever got dirty. Would definitely recommend a light grey grout as it'll blend in nicely but be more forgiving than white.

Brittanyspears Sun 11-Mar-18 16:36:59

We had cream metro and white grout in our last house. No problems at all. The odd bit of tomato sauce may have flown out of a pan, but it didnt stain.

JoJoSM2 Sun 11-Mar-18 18:52:58

We’ve got white metro tiles and white grout. So far so good - no problem whatsoever.

And besides, there are those grout reviver pens that are easy to use so you could spruce up the grout occasionally (wouldn’t even take 30mins). They come in white but not sure about other colours.

phoenix1973 Sun 11-Mar-18 18:59:56

We've got large black granite tiles on the wall with dark grey grout. They're brilliant. Clean and they still look good 13 years on.

BubblesBuddy Sun 11-Mar-18 20:14:34

Extend the work surface behind the hob. Granite works well. One slab, no grout. Failing that, the largest tiles possible.

PragmaticWench Sun 11-Mar-18 21:13:18

Is there a grout sealant you can apply when it's all new to seal out dirt and grease?

littlebillie Sun 11-Mar-18 22:15:48

We have tiles too I tend to polish mine after a clean and they resist the coating from food better

JessieMcJessie Mon 12-Mar-18 14:03:22

Thanks everyone!

Firesuit Tue 13-Mar-18 13:00:05

I intend to avoid tiles in both bathroom and kitchen in future. I wonder if there are non-glossy glass/perspex options that might suit you.

I'm think of white acrylic panels for a new shower, I have found a matt option from "Wetwall." (Probably wouldn't be suitable for a kitchen, as kitchen panels also need to handle high heat. Also couldn't say how relatively non-reflective it is.)

Firesuit Tue 13-Mar-18 13:01:14

(I recently spent a couple of hours scrubbing oil of kitchen grout, and even that wasn't completely effective.)

Firesuit Tue 13-Mar-18 13:02:25

off kitchen grout. Using a stiff brush and kitchen cleaners that are supposed to remove oil.

wowfudge Tue 13-Mar-18 13:15:35

Sugar soap is great on kitchen grease.

FrogFairy Tue 13-Mar-18 14:11:33

Instead of tiles, you could consider laminate panels. Very easy to wipe clean and no grout lines.

www.worktop-express.co.uk/laminate-kitchen-splashbacks

Baxdream Tue 13-Mar-18 15:27:05

We have white metro tiles but with grey grout. Our hob is on our island though.
Personally I'd buy a glass chopping board and if you know it's messy/stain cooking I'd pop it up the back of the hob.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: