Advanced search

Dropped kerb

(16 Posts)
UnderCroft Sat 24-Feb-18 09:06:05

I'm buying a house with no driveway but a small front garden. The house sides onto the road directly with no pavement.

There is a line of kerb stones which if dropped would give access to the front garden. The garden is already paved over.

As it doesn't cross a pavement can I just get the kerb dropped by an approved contractor or are there additional restrictions or permissions I need to be aware of? Thank you for your advice.

expatmigrant Sat 24-Feb-18 09:26:56

You need to get permission from the council. Do your NDN houses have dropped kerbs?

johnd2 Sat 24-Feb-18 10:15:54

If it's a classified road A or Be road then you'd need planning permission, otherwise just council permission from highways. They will probably want to do it themselves but might let you use their contractor.
Permission would not be a given, as they must consider pedestrian safety and sight lines when approving a cross over. Also you have to be able to drive on and off perpendicularly. The may be others I forgot, but definitely consult with the council rather than taking the above on face value.

UnderCroft Sat 24-Feb-18 14:04:17

Where would you find out if it's an A or B road?

UnderCroft Sat 24-Feb-18 14:06:16

The pedestrian route is to the front of the house. The road to the side goes to some garages and would be owned by me but the bit which would be dropped is general road just before the bit to the garages.

BuggerOffAndGoodDayToYou Sat 24-Feb-18 14:08:44

Check with your council. Around here we HAVE to pay the council to do it. My single car width dropped kerb cost me over £900 nearly 20 years ago so be prepared to shell out some £££££

starbrightnight Sat 24-Feb-18 14:20:51

Placemarking because the bungalow we are hoping to buy sounds the same layout and we would want to do the same so we can park in the current front garden.

You do have to apply to the council for permission though - I know that much.

UnderCroft Sat 24-Feb-18 14:31:18

It's whether it's planning permission or just dropped kerb permission. I'm pretty certain it's a C road having ruled out A or B roads.

starbrightnight Sat 24-Feb-18 14:37:42

I don't think you need planning permission, just permission from the local council.

UnderCroft Sat 24-Feb-18 14:43:20

That's my assumption but wanted to check as each has differing costs attached I need to factor in.

johnd2 Sat 24-Feb-18 20:40:46

C road would need planning too, but I was under the impression they phased out C roads and either classified them as B roads or declassified. The council would know either way, ask them. If you don't know, it's likely not classified.
I'm worried the lack of pavement will count against you, as you need enough clear space before the road to see whether anything is coming. With a pavement that's the pavement, but if your property fronts the road, then that's your neighbours gardens.
If you can speak to the right person at the council, they will know at the official and unofficial policies and could advise
Take photos, map from above and any other useful info if you go in person, or offer to email them over, just to make their life easier

LIZS Sat 24-Feb-18 20:47:52

If it is on or near a corner then think highways would need to be involved in case it creates a blind spot. Would you have space to turn so you can emerge forwards?

UnderCroft Sat 24-Feb-18 22:27:01

This is the front garden. 5m by 4m. It's near road that only leads to 2 garages for houses to the left of the photo. I'd pull in forwards and reverse into the garage road to go forwards into the road in front of the pavement.

LIZS Sat 24-Feb-18 22:31:08

Is it a public road? Are there any covenants preventing conversion of front garden to hardstanding?

UnderCroft Sun 25-Feb-18 06:09:44

Yes it's a public road but no covenants preventing conversion.

Acorncat Sun 25-Feb-18 06:20:26

I imagine it varies by council, but mine just sent someone out to have a look (or maybe just used street view!) and issued a permit, no planning permission needed and £50. I used a contractor of my choice, £750 and it crossed a pavement.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: