Talk

Advanced search

Different views from DH!

(12 Posts)
wilts09 Sat 17-Feb-18 21:42:54

So we are house hunting.
We currently live a ten minute drive from both of our works and have been planning on buying in current area or surrounding give or take.
However I have just stumbled across the most amazing property in our price range- so much bigger than the ones we have looked at and I've fallen in love with it over a few photos 🤣
Anyway DH thinks 40 minutes is too far to drive for work, that's 40 minutes each way.
I don't think it's reasonable at all given the amazing house, space, area (all be it a bit far and a remote village- hence the price)
Wwyd?

wilts09 Sat 17-Feb-18 21:43:38

I don't think it's UNREASONABLE 🙈

Humptynumpty02 Sat 17-Feb-18 21:44:57

Takes me an hour and 20 each way, each day, to get to work and back. Would love for a 40 min journey.

UrsulaPandress Sat 17-Feb-18 21:46:37

40 mins is nothing.

Buy the house.

greendale17 Sat 17-Feb-18 21:47:44

Having done both, I agree with your husband.

I would rather a smaller place and shorter commute every single time

RaindropsAndSparkles Sat 17-Feb-18 21:48:46

Not an issue until you have seen it in person.

united4ever Sat 17-Feb-18 22:17:54

is it reliably 40 minutes in the rush hour or creeping up to 50 and if there's an accident somewhere over an hour? over the years it will probably get longer too as congestion isn't easing. I can see your husbands POV.

Bluntness100 Sat 17-Feb-18 22:20:44

I've done forty mins, it's fine. I certainly wouldn't buy a house so I was ten mins to work. What happens when you need to change job?

Buy the house you want. You may be in it a lot longer than you're in your job.

BubblesBuddy Sat 17-Feb-18 22:25:45

Remote? Does that mean no shops, no pub, no neighbours? No school. No community. Nothing? I wouldn’t like a 40 minute commute. I think larger villages are great because they have a community feel but the further you get from civilisation, you have to really want that seclusion. 1 hr 20 mins a day is 6hours 40 mins a week. That’s quite a lot of extra time spent doing nothing (other then driving) each week. You might come to resent that and think you have something better to do with the time.

BewareOfDragons Sat 17-Feb-18 22:26:20

How long do you think you'll both be in the jobs you currently have?

Do you have children? Will that change work for either of you?

If one of you loses your job, will you stay in the area or have to look farther afield due to the type of work you do?

No harm in looking at it, but you have to look at everything. and 40 minute commute could easily be an hour on traffic issue days... what if you had to rush back to an unwell child at school? At least think about it.

welshmist Sat 17-Feb-18 22:29:06

You don`t say if you have children so I feel unable to make a fair assessment.

abilockhart Sat 17-Feb-18 22:31:23

It's an extra hour commute everyday than you have at the moment.

If you are both likely to remain in your workplaces for the foreseeable future, I would go for somewhere close to where you currently live.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: