Talk

Advanced search

Replacing an old back boiler

(11 Posts)
Pittapatter Wed 14-Feb-18 18:28:51

My parent's house has the old back boiler behind the gas fire. The gas fire has broke and it can't be repaired as the model is obsolete. Boiler is ancient but still working. Central heating is OK too.

The British Gas salesman came out and quoted just short of 5k for replacing it, this included..

Sealing off the back boiler
Replacing the fire with a new electric one
A new combi boiler
Removal of the water tanks
And power flushing the radiators

Does anyone know if this sounds reasonable or if its too much?
We're in the North.

Thank you

Mosaic123 Wed 14-Feb-18 19:01:46

You need Pigletjohn!

Geneticsbunny Wed 14-Feb-18 19:48:54

Also check online as they might be eligible for funding towards a new boiler etc

freyia Wed 14-Feb-18 19:50:42

We had our back boiler replaced 18 months ago.

Worcester combi boiler with 10 year guarantee, filter and comfort controller.
7 new rads, one was a new installation.
Water tanks, fire and back boiler removed.
Power flushed.
New shower fitted and a bit of tiling.

£4,300 and we were living in the South East. We found the plumber on the worcester bosch website.

Pittapatter Wed 14-Feb-18 20:01:17

Thanks for the replies.
I'll have to get some more quotes then as BG sounds very expensive.
They don't qualify for any grants etc but I will double check

Pittapatter Wed 14-Feb-18 20:03:11

Freyia
That sounds like a bargain! Thanks for the info

freyia Wed 14-Feb-18 20:21:09

We had 3 quotes and all were very similar, none were British Gas.

We were new to the area so had no idea who we should go with. I just picked 3 plumbers off the Worcester website as the accredited installers recommended by them have extended guarantees.

SpaceBergerac Wed 14-Feb-18 21:26:33

Just a thought - do they actually want to replace the boiler? BG seem to have a nasty habit of trying to talk people into replacing boilers when it's not necessary (based on my parents and my MIL's experiences). And their quotes generally seem to be very high. My parents are still using their 1970s back boiler - it's old but reliable, won't be as efficient as a modern one of course, but they see no point in replacing it til they have to. Well worth getting the opinion of an independent local fitter as to whether parts are still available and whether it actually needs replacing.

WonkyDonk87 Wed 14-Feb-18 21:32:00

We removed ours and had a combi fitted for about £3,000. We were de-plastering the whole room so had a builder smooth off and smarten the hole as a separate job though. We're in the south and used an independent plumber.

Pittapatter Thu 15-Feb-18 08:50:04

Hi all
The boiler is actually working fine despite its age.
It's the gas fire on the front of it that's knackered. That's about 20 odd yrs old and is now obsolete so unable to get any parts.

I thought it may have been possible to just get a new fire to go on front of the back boiler. I wasn't there when BG gave the quote but we have a local plumber coming out later today do will see what he quotes.

Many thanks for the advice x

Haint Thu 15-Feb-18 09:18:01

Back boilers last forever, we lived with the ghastly gas fire for years before finally biting the bullet, mostly due to the fact that all our radiators were rusted and leaking

We paid £4500k for new boiler, 11 radiators, removal of water tanks and back boiler

BritishGas quoted us £8k!!

Look on the Hetas website for a local Gas Registered installer and get a few other quotes

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: