Talk

Advanced search

Ground Rent-homes england

(5 Posts)
Mammabear14 Wed 14-Feb-18 14:21:14

I am currently selling a leasehold property. I have never in 4 years been invoiced for ground rent.
I pay the service charge but cannot seem to get to the bottom of the ground rent. 2 companies have recently bought it from HCA and not invoiced me. When I contact them there is onky an email and I never get a reply.
Anyway I am selling the property and having to pay a large retention fee which is fine but I just want to pay what I owe has anyone else had this??

SheepySheepy Wed 14-Feb-18 14:26:36

Do you have a copy of your lease? It will be in there. Sometimes it's either included in service charges (so you may have already paid it), or is "peppercorn" (very small amount).

Your buyers solicitors will want legal proof so looking for your lease is the best place to start, your solicitor who you used when you bought the place may have a copy.

Mammabear14 Wed 14-Feb-18 14:32:42

I have a copy of the lease but because e 'land' has been bought twice since i have lived there it's caused a right mess.
It's about £200 A year ground rent as stated in the lease but no-one has ever invoiced me!!!! Unbelievable. Is this common practice with the amount of new builds??

SheepySheepy Wed 14-Feb-18 16:16:58

Does it say anything about an increase after a certain number of years? If not it's probably still £200 a year. Based on that for the purpose of the sale your solicitor can keep a retention for that multiplied by number of years you've been there.

Ask your conveyancer for advise, and for them to look through the lease, they may be able to decipher it more easily.

wowfudge Wed 14-Feb-18 16:27:43

You need to read everything carefully - ground rent may be payable whether invoiced or not so the onus may be on you to pay the correct person.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: