Talk

Advanced search

How long after signing contracts does it normally take for exchange to happen?

(8 Posts)
KitKat1985 Wed 14-Feb-18 10:53:41

Just that really. Started this process back in June and getting impatient now, due to lots of hiccups along the way. We signed our contract to sell our current home on Monday, and we've just got our contract for our purchase through today (which we'll go through and sign later). There's a couple of enquiries I believe still outstanding. How much longer do you think it's likely to take from this point to get to the point of exchange? I'll actually start to relax a bit then when I know things are legally binding!

specialsubject Wed 14-Feb-18 11:00:14

Depends on remaining actions and searches. Wake up your solicitor who you pay and ask what else needs to be done.

ElenaBothari Wed 14-Feb-18 11:01:52

No way to tell really. A lot of the contracts are standard form so will be signed very early while search results etc are still outstanding. They won’t avtually be exchanged until everybody’s happy.

Ask your lawyer. There’s no way random internet people can help you with this!

OneDayIWillHaveAGreatUsername Wed 14-Feb-18 11:02:51

I think it was about a month between signing and exchanging for us but the bottom of our chain were very difficult so I doubt it needs to be that long!
Good luck!

KitKat1985 Wed 14-Feb-18 11:32:32

Oh okay, might be a little while yet then. sad Just so fed up of waiting now!

specialsubject Wed 14-Feb-18 12:52:57

what did the solicitor say?

KitKat1985 Sun 18-Feb-18 21:34:58

Sorry specialsubject - only just saw your question. Solicitor said he was still chasing some enquires. Sighs. Drums fingers.

[Tumbleweed blows past].

PigletJohn Sun 18-Feb-18 21:51:23

an indefinite period.

signing the contract does not cause it to get exchanged.

some never exchange.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: