Talk

Advanced search

Affordable places in West Midlands

(25 Posts)
MyMorningHasBroken Tue 13-Feb-18 23:04:23

I am looking at relocating nearer to my roots. Born and spent childhood in Shropshire. Love Shrewsbury but I need to be a bit nearer to London. I haven't been back properly for years (apart shrops where I still have family). I am currently a 3.5 hr drive from SE London in the SW and want to cut that journey down a bit but also would like to be in reach of Shrops.
So I am looking for a 3 bed really with a max of 170k.

Any ideas?

CrazyDaze1 Wed 14-Feb-18 00:03:46

Could you travel by train into London? If so, you could consider north west Coventry (Coundon - but not near the ring road and pronounced cow-neon, Keresley, Whitmore Park districts) (You could park at Coventry station if you don’t want to drive - it is 70 mins to Euston on fast trains and they go very frequently)

or Rugby (same train line) - which is a little closer to London.

They are also convenient for the motorway network eg. M6/M42/M1/M45/M40

Or you could consider Bedworth or Nuneaton, Warwickshire (A5 to Shrewsbury) or Lichfield, Staffs (not sure about trains in these towns, you would need to see the timetable/connections and no trains in Bedworth).

specialsubject Wed 14-Feb-18 10:02:54

Just a thought - Shrewsbury is now 2.5 hours from Euston by train . there is a direct service but it is only twice a day and only slightly faster. Realise you are going on from Euston but is that of any use?

sashh Wed 14-Feb-18 10:14:50

Stoke on Trent has a fast train to London, I know this because I once tried to get it from Stoke to Wolverhampton, I got there eventually but via Euston. It's about 1.5 hours. Houses well withing budget as well.

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-52079955.html

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-62754481.html

MyMorningHasBroken Wed 14-Feb-18 10:34:17

Thank you. My dad worked in Wolverhampton for years. Are there nice places around there? Will check out Stoke also. Sorry, don't think my previous reply posted. I have 3 youngish children so prefer car. Dad is still in London which is why we go down about twice a month.

MyMorningHasBroken Wed 14-Feb-18 10:36:33

I love those! Would be lucky if you got a 2 bed terrace for that here. I am so tempted!

sashh Wed 14-Feb-18 11:57:24

It depends what you want. Wolverhampton does, believe it or not, have some nice areas. Schools are - well the girls' high school constantly rates as one of the best in the country some of the others are not so good, 2 private schools have just become academies.

West park has some great free entertainment for small children, squirrels that will feed from your hand, ducks, playground etc.

You also have the M6Toll to make the trip to London easier.

New build, about 100 yards from Aldi in one directions, just off a main road and near a pub that is child friendly (hungry horse)

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-70955417.html

This was spare land when I moved here, Bently Bridge has a cinema, shops, cafes mcdonalds, the slowest KFC in the country and near to swimming / leasure centre.

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-70861709.html

Tettenhall is where you find independant 'Boutiques' and deli.

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-43757463.html

It also has the biggest paddling pool I have ever seen attached to some nice parkland. It takes 4 days to fill the pool for summer.
www.wolverhamptonparks.co.uk/Park/8/tettenhall-green

MyMorningHasBroken Wed 14-Feb-18 12:30:50

Many thanks sahss. Do you kniw Brierly hill area ir Stourbridge? Seem to be quite a few around there.
Thanks for all the resources. (

MrsCharlesBrandon Wed 14-Feb-18 12:36:11

Wouldn't really look at Brierly Hill, but more into Stourbridge and north of the ring road into the Glass Quarter is lovely. Or down the A456 is Hagley, Romsley and Halesowen all beautiful areas with great schools and easy access to the M5.

SIL lives in Tettenhall, beautiful area and due for a massive shopping/entertainment complex very soon.

MyMorningHasBroken Wed 14-Feb-18 12:40:58

Great , thank you Mrs

mumgointhroughtorture Wed 14-Feb-18 12:42:59

Definitely not Brierley Hill lol
Maybe Sedgley, Kingswinford , Wall Heath ,
Himley , Wombourne area (DY3 DY6) . Stourbridge , Halesowen , Quinton , Harbourne .

MyMorningHasBroken Wed 14-Feb-18 12:45:11

Right! Brierly Hill crossed off. grin Seen a few in some of these areas.

eddiemairswife Wed 14-Feb-18 13:10:46

Another recommendation for Wolverhampton, especially on the Staffs/Wolves border. Wombourne ....large village about 3 miles to the west.

sashh Wed 14-Feb-18 13:38:38

MyMorningHasBroken

Brierly hill is OK if you are a shopping addict, it's near Merry Hill.

What do you want other than a 3 bed house. Do you want a city, town or village? Good bus routes/train stations? Types of school? Old property or new?

SleepingStandingUp Wed 14-Feb-18 13:41:44

Second Tettenhall, also Penn is nice.
What about Telford?
Some lovely parts of Walsall - aldridge direction

MyMorningHasBroken Wed 14-Feb-18 14:47:40

I did think about Telford. It's just that bit further from London. My children are still in primary, so good schools are on the list. I prefer somewhere quieter but another reason I am moving is that my children are mixed race and bave become very aware of being the only non white kids at school and in the area (they have been picked on too). I was brought up in a small villiage near Shrewsbury but have also lived in London and other major cities so I am trying to get this right!
I am not too bothered about shopping and don't really go out much aparr
work. I would be looking for work too. My background is in TEFL but I've not managed to find anything here so currently work in Teaching Support.

MyMorningHasBroken Wed 14-Feb-18 14:49:01

I prefer older property than new builds.

LikeSilver Wed 14-Feb-18 14:58:31

Tettenhall is very nice but I think you may struggle a bit with a max budget of 170k - if you do, you could try Claregate which is very close.

The other nice areas in Wolves are Penn/Wombourne but again you may struggle in your budget. Also the Penn Road is a total nightmare for traffic in rush hour.

Codsall?

Coventry is a great suggestion for getting to London but I’m not familiar with the areas.

sashh Wed 14-Feb-18 15:24:09

Wolverhampton is pretty mixed, and mixed in a good way. Huge Versaki celebration. If you want to go to church you can pray in Welsh, Italian, Polish and English of course. Lots of other places of worship, I think the only one missing is Synagogue - not trying to push religion just I think it shows some of the diversity

When I pull up the 'just eat' website it includes Chinese, Japanese, Jamaican, Indian, Bengali, Puddings/icecream, Turkish, Persian...

Now when can you visit so we can show you around?

eddiemairswife Wed 14-Feb-18 15:28:29

Wolverhampton itself is very ethnically diverse. Wombourne and Codsall less so. Merry Hill, Castlecroft and Finchfield cheaper than Tettenhall.
Most primaries are 'good' with about 4 'outstanding', but there are few vacancies in most years, especially in KS 1.

MyMorningHasBroken Wed 14-Feb-18 15:45:38

It's all sounding good. Actually I do have some Jewish heritage hehe! I was brought up Christian but we don't really go to church anymore. (Naughty me!). I wouldn't be adverse to trying again though. It's all good for getting to know people. I guess there are a few Nigerian pentecostal churches too. grin

sashh Wed 14-Feb-18 16:00:08

Defo Pentecostal, not sure if they are Nigerian.

Whensmyturn Wed 14-Feb-18 19:24:19

How about Tamworth? 1hr 10 to Euston on virgin trains. Property not too expensive. Not as diverse as Wolverhampton but ok.

Hownow39 Wed 14-Feb-18 19:26:27

Cheylesmore and styvchelle is within walking distance to Coventry train station.

Very nice areas.

ReinettePompadour Wed 14-Feb-18 19:35:15

Rugeley in Staffordshire is on the Trent Valley line and 1 hour 20 on the fast train to Euston and 1 hour 40 on the long train.

4 bed houses for less than £170,000 are often for sale.

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-63996517.html

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-52536141.html

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-62573494.html

3 beds

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-52295250.html

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-65651291.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now